Item pick-up filter

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Curse Starwind, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Curse Starwind

Curse Starwind Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sometimes, in games like Minecraft or Terraria, you just don't want to pick up certain useless items while mining, but you're forced to pick up every item you mine until you run out of inventory space. It would be convenient to just have a filter that can filter out certain items, like say, you don't want to pick up a ton of dirt and gravel, add those to your filter list, and you won't pick them up while digging around, simple.

It could be a craftable item, or a built in system from the start.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. SacredCaedeus

SacredCaedeus Phantasmal Quasar

Honestly, I feel this would be a must have feature. There are times where in either of the mentioned games my inventory would fill up with something that drops almost 100% from monsters or just blocks I don't want. I'd lean in support of the feature being there by default and not require an ingame item.

4. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

I really love this idea! Great suggestion!

Curse Starwind likes this.
  5. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Wonderful idea, but it should be implemented like a tool.
    Like make it a add on to your drill.
    Call it a mineral filter, or something of that nature.
    I wouldn't really like it if you could just go into your character and toggle it.
    I do hate having my inventory full of dirt though. So. Much. DIRT. :rock:

6. Senego Trainz

Senego Trainz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very practical idea, full support.

7. Astrus

Astrus Industrial Terraformer

A possible extension to the idea? Like others have said, have the filter as an in-universe tool or item. However, instead of just not picking up stuff, it converts anything you get that is in the filter list into pixels! There could be multiple tiers of this tool, each harder to make, but resulting in a greater percentage of pixels converted. So for example, give the dirt block a base pixel value of 10 and the very basic filter an efficiency of 10%. So every dirt block you mine will be converted by the filter into 1 pixel.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds good. Probably have it as a built-in system for balance's sake.

SpaceRobo and Curse Starwind like this.
  9. greenskye

greenskye Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be awesome if you could specify how many of an item you wanted on hand. I'm not sure that I'd like to get rid of ALL dirt, but I might only want 2 stacks of it. Anything more getting auto-converted to pixels would be great.

Exilyth, Gene and Curse Starwind like this.
  10. Ttamage

Ttamage Big Damn Hero

How about a priority chart that shows all discovered materials and items, you can then go through and easily select which items have the highest priority by clicking and dragging icons of the items up and down a number scale.

It would also rock if your character had the option to "Auto Organize" inventory from your character to storage in your base. That way one could just walk by their storage area and the items would automatically get organized into your existing storage, The same should go for crafting items, you can pull up your entire inventory, or the inventory from all the storage devices in your house could be easily viewed and used from the crafting stations.

11. isaackoz

isaackoz Void-Bound Voyager

A must have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

What I always wanted in Terraria was an auto-pickup filter that worked like: "fill up any of my existing inventory stack(s) up to their maximum, but don't create any new stacks".

This is especially relevant for stuff like blocks and ingredients. As you mine/dig/farm/etc, you will repeatedly consume and expend materials, often the same ones. Usually I start a task will an already well-organized inventory, but as I continue, the inventory gets disorganized as stacks deplete and random crap takes up their space and order. Picking up extra items to fill an already existing stack has no drawback - only when stuff gets in a new stack is when it starts being annoying.

Using this filter, anything I already expended would be replenished up to the maximum stack size, extending the time I can spend working without manual resupply, but not fill my inventory with things I never wanted to begin with, or more than the number of stacks I started with.

If you sometimes want to override the auto-pickup filter, allow an item to be manually picked up by clicking on it. This way it would enter into a new stack slot, and from that point on, the auto-pickup filter would kick in again and start replenishing that stack up to its maximum, like any other stack already in your inventory.

This suggestion is a variation on your suggestion I quoted, but would be simpler to manage as it would just be an on/off checkbox applying to your entire inventory, instead of some custom settings screen where you have to punch in individual item types and their maximum amount you want. I think this simplicity is important - you can't solve the problem of simplifying inventory management by, well, complicating inventory management, e.g. custom rules screen. I think any such inventory auto-management should be dead-simple to use (to the tune of 1 checkbox), in order to solve more problems that it itself introduces.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  13. wallespider56

wallespider56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aww yes this would be nice so i dont get my Death laser and pizza party ray mixed up when i want to destroy a village +1 to anyone who gets the pizza party reference

14. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

This still needs to get done. : p Basically a basically a filter that lets you check what items you want to pick up when mining and which ones will just float around as if your inventory is full.