1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Theoretically, if this mod were to come back...

Would it have its own intro story, like Kawa's Felin's? It sounds like it wouldn't make much sense for Kineptic players to start out on earth...

Omega_Flowely likes this.
  2. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

"Would there be a story?" He asks!

Sir, at this point the mod is an accessory to the story, not the story an accessory to the mod. In fact, the story is not even dependant on the starbound universe anymore! Might even clash in some cases.

Omega_Flowely and Comito like this.
  3. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

I ... think you might have misread my post.

4. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I think you are right!

*clears throat awkwardly*

No. Besides, I see no discrepancy. The kineptics' deity figure is called "The Guardian", so it totally makes sense that an organization called 'The Protectorate" would have a few kineptic members.

5. Comito

Comito Pangalactic Porcupine

Still working on this mod? I enjoyed playing as a magic space cat and I'd love to see them back in action.

Sakura Aurora Lunaris likes this.
  6. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Sorry, Comito... my interest in starbound just isn't strong enough at this point in time to get me to put forth the effort. Strong enough to keep me coming back here, but not enough to dedicate my free time to it. I haven't dropped the kineptic, though. Their story slowly keeps growing in my head. Thanks to a friend I've made recently with whom I have sufficient chemistry to trust with the inner complexities and "mysteries" of the plot, I don't see that trend ending any time soon. So, if Starbound can somehow motivate me to wrack my low quality brain to the point of (re)learning the basics of modding and then take it to the next level and learn how to propery script and sprite, you might see a resurrection.

7. Comito

Comito Pangalactic Porcupine

That is perfectly reasonable. They are very interesting as-is; I'd like to learn more about them. Has any extra information been written here in this thread?

8. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm sure it's sprinkled about. However, it may be outdated at this point.

9. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

You couldn't get someone to volunteer to do a "triage" version like the Avali have right now? And/or to do the actual heavy lifting while you keep plotting?

10. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Sorry, I don't want such a thing.

11. Switchlock

Switchlock Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I know this doesn't contribute much to the mod, but I got some funny little art here of a Kineptic messing with Transformation in their Glovetech.
    [​IMG]

Quilavabom likes this.
  12. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Glovetech can't cause transformations. Well, I suppose maybe it could, but it'd be considered unnatural and forbidden.

Not that a kineptic would need to transform to look like that! It probably would be a bit uncomfortable, but they could do it.

I love it; when I get home this is gettin' saved to my computer.

13. Sziklamester

Sziklamester Void-Bound Voyager

I am hoping for an increased interest in the future because this mod was nice and liked it. If you not wish to continue (because no need) then you can give a permission to others to use the work and update it to the current state of the game.

endertrot and Dragon_Tom005 like this.
  14. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

Uh, guess I found the mod i was looking for, but it isn't compatible with current starbound and may not be in a while... :catcry:

15. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

So, I was feeling bored, and I decided to try porting the old curtain blocks to the new sloped block style, tassels and all. This was the final result, the tassels were pretty annoying to sprite correctly within the bounds of the sloped template. It definitely needs some more polish, but that's for another day.
    20180329212642_1.jpg

Crfwief and Yanazake like this.
  16. Kitsune_Ultima

Kitsune_Ultima Space Hobo

is it ok if we use it on a private server? (one where only one or two people at a time no more than 5-6 at max)

17. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

If you must, but be aware that if it causes problems I won't help you fix them--the mod's in "outdated" for a reason.

18. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

Wasn't that version from 2016?
    Also, since I don't want to end up double-posting, @Quilavabom is it all right if I make variations on the old Kineptic blocks for personal use? (As in, literally just the blocks and I don't plan on distributing it (unless of course, you want too, in which case I'd be more than happy to send you the files)) I've loved their style since 2014, but its always been depressing that I can't build with it today.

So far I've made rough versions of sloped Monolith Walls and Crystals:
    20180724222008_1.jpg

Saint Apollyon likes this.
  19. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

@endertrot 2014? Has it really been that long? Sheesh.

I'd kinda prefer such requests go through private message instead of here--Otherwise I could potentially have dozens of people asking me if they all can do the same thing here, and it'd get out of hand. I really don't want to get into a situation where people are saying, "But you said yes to this person! Why can't I!?"

20. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

I just went back to check, and yep, this discussion thread and the very first version of the mod was uploaded August 17, 2014. Or in other words, the four year anniversary is in 11 days :nod:

Also, yeah, I understand what you're saying, so if/when I make any more progress, or want to get some feedback, I'll just toss you a PM instead of asking here.

Quilavabom likes this.