1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Kobold Adventure: An Interactive Journey

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Look annoyed, maybe he'll go away.

2. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

ka036a.png
    Yeah... You don't think so. This is a kobold town, not some made up fantasy land where guards are held to a higher authority that keeps them from skewering you and dumping your body in a ditch. You're only alive right now because of a healthy mix of Mother Adira's insatiable desire to protect younglings, your constant groveling to not be tossed to the snicker-dogs, and kobolds usually being far too busy fixing your problems to kill you over them.

ka038.png

“Hey, Mister Guard-Man, Dude… Person. What’s up there? Or just up. Like, figuratively. What’s happening is what I mean by that… As a question.”

“I’ll tell you what’s happening--”

ka039.png

“You’re under arrest!!”

ka040.png

“BWAHAHA! You should have seen the look on your face! HA! Classic.”

ka041.png

“Ah, whooh, but no, I'm just jokin', kid. Happy Birthday, you ruffian!”

Ah, heh, w-well, you suppose there’s not much harm in a little joke. You think this guard might actually be a real nice--

ka042.png

“But seriously, wreck the town again and I’ll kill you. Now why the heck are you bothering me?”

ka043.png

Why the heck are you bothering him again?!

3. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

Can I help out with anything around the barracks?

4. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Maybe offering to fix your own problems will go over well? Who knows.

5. Vurrunna

Alrighty, folks, time for some unfortunate news.

Kobold Adventure is gonna have to go on hiatus for a while, for a number of reasons. First, I'm working a lot more on my other comic doohickey, Ask Laurence, and have started dedicating more time and effort into it, which leaves less time for this story. Second, due to some poor planning and haphazard writing, I've had difficulty establishing the proper tone for the story--I sometimes have difficulty deciding whether Leo should be annoyed, upset, sad, scared, etc., which makes him flip-flop in some decidedly out-of-character ways. Third, I still can't set on an easy, enjoyable, and appealing style for the drawings, meaning many of the pictures end up looking inconsistent or off-place.

The plan for now is to put Kobold Adventure to rest, and to hopefully return to it at a later date. When and where I do this, I don't quite know yet (probably not on Chucklefish, though, for a few minor reasons), but I'll be sure to post here if and when it gets started again for the convenience of you guys. Thank you very much for reading thus far and joining in this little adventure. Anyone interested in checking out Ask Laurence (wherein you get to ask questions of an irritable fox-man who hates his job and is just waiting for his next mug of coffee) can do so here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/ask-laurence-2-0.132209/ (Though I'm pretty sure most of you read him already.)

See y'all around,
    --Vurrunna

6. Vurrunna

Concerning Kobolds Smol.png
    *Incoherent Screaming*

Apparently I have a thing for necromancy, 'cause I'm thinkin' it's high time I got back to drawing Kobolds. It's kinda funny; this setting has never really died in my mind. I mean, the larger setting happens to be part of an even larger project, but the story of Leopold and Zazkthel has always been kicking around in the back of my mind. I always wanted to get back to drawing these guys, but always had trouble finding a good way of drawing Kobolds (even the above comic isn't up to my standards).

That changes now. Well, not literally now, like not at the exact moment you're reading these words, more like as of the moment I'm writing these words the process of changing has already begun and involves a partial overhaul of the fundamentals of how I draw characters.

... Where was I? Oh, yes, Kobolds.

The rest of Leopold's story is gonna have to wait for a hot minute as I continue to work on refining my style, as well as get back into the groove of regularly producing comic strips; I want to post Leopold's story to a wider audience, and so want to make sure it's up to a professional (or semi-professional) standard. In the meanwhile, I'll be posting all of my progress here, for all two of you that might potentially be still alive maybe I don't know.

Anywho, I'm off to draw more of these little maniacs.

Felicitations,
    --Vurrunna

7. Vurrunna

Speaking of which I made another thing:
    Baxter!.png
    Yup. Halfling Bard. Nothin' strange about it.

Meet Baxter, one of my favorite D&D concepts I've ever come up with and have no chance to ever actually use. As such, he's been delegated to comics, because this loveable goober is too pure to keep to myself.

My plan is to run this little mini-comic around Baxter to help re-familiarize myself with makin' comics, plus get back into drawing Kobolds (They're harder than they look! And they already look hard!). There's no real plan to it except to explore his exploits, but the simple style and conscious lack of coloring/heavy shading means this is already one of the easiest comics I've ever made.

Heck, I think I'm gonna make this guy his own thread. Yeah, he gets his own thread. Back in a jiffy.

When next our jiffies meet,
    --Vurrunna

8. Vurrunna

Also, side note: Baxter's new comic is chugging merrily along, and now has his own thread! Find it here.

As I said previously, I'm going to be working on his story for a while, with the eventual goal being to build up my skills until I'm confident enough to continue (and finish) Leopold's story. If you liked this comic here at all, I'm sure you'll like Baxter, too.

Best wishes,
    --Vurrunna

Rgbunpro and theflamingchuthulu like this.
  9. Vurrunna

Surprise post! WAH!

Leopold - First Panel Homage.png

"You are a Kobold, born and raised by other Kobolds in the quaint town of Zazkthel. It's a nice town with only a few major spider problems a year and probably isn't haunted by the countless lost souls of deceased Dwarven-folk."

Leopold - Barmaid Homage.png

"You approach the barmaid. She gives you a look that lies somewhere between disdain and disappointment. You, uh, probably shouldn't waste her time."

A couple of homages to this little comic of mine (I'm vain like that, making homages to my own stuff). Drawn mostly to feel out starting up this comic again. Gotta say, the results are promising; these haphazard doodles won't be winning me any awards, but they were quick, easy, and fun, and compared to how this comic started I'd say they look pretty darn passable.

Like I mentioned previously, I definitely want to start up Leopold's story again, and hope to get things underway sometime this year. Seeing as I can manage the art well enough to call half-decent, now I just gotta take the time to get the general plot of the story written out (I've learned from hard experience that charging in without a game plan is a recipe for disaster; I want to get a clear idea of Leopold's personality, of his place in Zazkthel, and of what sort of terrible catastrophes I can laden him with). Once that's all settled, I'll be sure to update folks over here of where Leopold's escapades can be found; I plan to post over a variety of platforms to try and reach a wider audience (things certainly aren't as hoppin' over here in the Chucklefish forums as they used to be).

Bon soir, my golden nuggets,
    -- Vurrunna

10. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, it's like an empty saloon here. Only like, a few couples of people that are still hanging out and checking.

11. thebritwriter

thebritwriter Void-Bound Voyager

This has been pretty good so far, like the style also where does the name kobold come from? Is that something entirely self-made?

Vurrunna likes this.
  12. Daikon Ocelot

I think the word "kobold" is a common name for monster. Like orc, goblin, elf, etc.

Vurrunna likes this.
  13. AccountPrivacy

AccountPrivacy Pangalactic Porcupine

Kobolds are a myth or legend about dwarf like humanoid creatures that had minor magical powers. Trolls are somewhat also related to them.

14. Vurrunna

A while ago, I made myself a promise that I would try to get this comic back up and running by 2021. Here we are at the end of November, and I still haven't started work on it. Time to fix that!

I'm gonna finally pick work on this project back up again. I've got nothing better to do, what with the pandemic leaving me trapped inside giving me an excuse to never leave the house, so I may as well be productive, eh? Besides, I've been getting way better at making art pieces quickly, and this comic was never big on its visual complexity.

So, expect updates coming soon! In the meanwhile, I suppose I should answer a couple questions about Kobolds in general (the comic's about them afterall, seems rather important people know what they are):

In many modern medieval fantasy settings, Kobold refers to a race of small, dragon-like creatures that live in caves and are notorious for laying insidious traps to protect their homes. Generally speaking, Kobolds are meant to be selfish, conniving, evil creatures, but many RPG players (myself included) like to portray them as cute and friendly, especially when creating their own characters for roleplaying games and such. For the purposes of this story, Kobolds are a bit cruel by modern standards (just look at how they treat Leopold), but for the most part they're just regular people that have been dealt a tough hand in life.

Put simply, they're adorable little dragon-babies that love gold and have the social graces of a raccoon.

A Kobold from the Pathfinder roleplaying game:
    [​IMG]

A couple Kobolds from Dungeons and Dragons:
    [​IMG]

A Kobold character art piece from an independent creator:
    [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    -- Vurrunna

15. Daikon Ocelot

That's also the way I think of them.

theflamingchuthulu and Vurrunna like this.
  16. King9922

King9922 Space Hobo

How do you not go t jail