Left-handers Union

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyle, Jul 19, 2017.

?

Which hand is your dominant hand?

1. I'm left-handed.

50.0%
  2. I'm right-handed.

43.8%
  3. Both/neither. I'm ambidextrous.

6.3%
  4. Hand is for the weak. I use my foot.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I'm a little curious, is there anyone who are also left-handed out there? I want to know about experiences and interesting and/or fun stories about left-handed people, whether it be you or somebody you know. I'll start first.

I was born left handed and is the only one in the known extension of my family. My parents are totally cool with that - they're super cool in general - but I know that the more 'traditional' families (I grew up in Hong Kong) would forcefully correct left-handedness by tying their child's left hand while they eat/write, which is pretty awful.

There's this odd belief that left-handed people are smarter, which I think is TOTALLY untrue :D The only things that came out of being a leftie for me is that I need special (and expensive =( ) scissors and have to sit on the left corner of the table whenever I go out for meals with friends, cause otherwise our elbows would run into each other.

Surenu likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

There are several members here who are left-handed. I know of at least three off the top of my head. Personally, I'm ambidextrous and I know of at least one other on the forums who is also such. When I was a kid I originally wrote left-handed but always had that smear on the side of my hand from the pencil. So I switched to predominantly use my right hand for writing and most things. In my late teens and early twenties I started switching back to mainly using my left. I currently use my left for most things like writing and eating. For a lot of things I switch back and forth what hand I'm using. It really depends on what's the most convenient at the time. The only thing I consistently do right-handed is my signature. My writing with each hand looks pretty different so I don't want someone to think I'm forging my own signature.

By way of fun stories: there's been times I've been writing and people do the normal "Oh you're left-handed!?" to which I reply "No" and immediately switch to using my right. It gets some interesting and confused looks from people sometimes. (;

Surenu likes this.
  3. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

We should make a Left Handed Squad!(I'm left-handed too)

Fun Fact?: Left-handed people(from my experience) don't use the southpaw setting on games

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    Surenu likes this.
  4. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I am so glad I was born left-handed into these times and not, let's say, 40 years ago. At least here in Germany, it's way easier than during my mother's generation.

5. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Agreed, people in the past had some....odd opinion regarding left-handedness.

Ambidexterity must be hella cool! I too struggled with smearing my pencil writings when I was young xD that should be the reason why I never got a grade past B in my copy book, huh. Personally though, I use computer mouse with my right hand and everything else with my left, which is rather funny since I'm well adapted to drawing with my mouse/cursor now - it's also very handy when I can draw with cursor with my right hand and work with all the hotkeys or tablet with my left at the same time.

Surenu likes this.
  6. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Same. I had to use my mouse with my left hand once when I had some problem with my right hand (stupid accident, I seem to be prone to those) and it was hell.

7. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Did someone say leftie?

I'm in.

Surenu likes this.
  8. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I was told somewhere in US(or other places?) there are shops that specifically sell left-handed-friendly tools, is that true?

My scissors cost like 3 times the normal price, lol. Good thing I've been able to use them for a VERY long time (read: since first grade - I just graduated from college last year).

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's fun! And useful. I totally forgot about using a computer mouse. I used to do that left-handed but then when I started gaming I switched to right-handed. I initially tried to game with my mouse in my left hand but games (and hardware) are just not set-up to be very friendly to left-handedness. So I game right-handed.

10. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

What's the opposite of ambidextrous?

Meanwhile, semitic (and some other) languages are written right to left.
    They didn't think this through.

11. Hel

They say 1 in 9 people are lefties.

That makes us all special.

Tyle and Surenu like this.
  12. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

You'll always be my special little Cupcake :cathug:

From a military perspective: Most rifles nowadays are designed for ambidextrous use. Makes sense, even if everyone was a rightie. Sometimes you just gotta climb down something and may only have your left hand.

13. Hel

<3 You always make me smile with your mice comments

Couldn't use a rifle when I went clay shooting. I have to use a Shotgun. That has no real leftie mode, but the supervisor was taking my gun after 2 shots and reloading anyways

Surenu likes this.
  14. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Leftie "mode" is basically shell ejection and the positioning of the safety and the charging handle. The Steyr AUG from Austria is, in my opinion, a perfect example of an ambidextrous rifle, easily surpassing the H&K G36 in that aspect.

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Speaking of shooting, my dad shot left-handed in the military even though he is right-handed. He still has scars on his right forearm.

Ambisinister.

baconsama25 and Surenu like this.
  16. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp, I'm right handed but write like I'm left handed for some reasons
    So..
    Does that mean I'm a quarter lefty?

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  17. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

[​IMG]
    I will LEFT this image here~

By the way some studies tend to prove that left handed people have an inverted brain, I wonder how it work with ambidextrous people then. o_O

Hel likes this.
  18. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I found this article that is interesting. I've also read that ambidextrous people are bisexual and schizophrenic at a higher rate than "normal" people. So I got that going for me as well.

19. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Wow fascinating, and a bit worrisome..

But if ambidextrous people are sort of damaged that mean Spongebob is damaged ? Because there's an episode when he says that he is ambidextrous. ._.

Surenu likes this.
  20. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I think Spongebob has way deeper issues.

Talkin' about being ambidextrous, I think that would be insanely useful. I wouldn't know what I'd do if I broke my left hand right now.

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.