Let's get Wiki - Basic Discussion

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Katzeus, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

oh yeah...hmmm. Option 1, reduce the spacing a little, somewhere in the middle so it looks better for both. Option 2 is to add a 'subtitle' parameter to set under the title for those specific pages, but each one would need to be updated to match.

I'm sort of leaning toward 'one spacing to rule them all', let me take another look at it.

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Maybe reduce the bottom padding to 10px, to see how that would look?

3. Katzeus

Looks okay to me - what do you think?

4. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Yep, I like the way it looks now too. On a loosely related matter, could you look into restoring the "Greenfinger's Notes:" prefix to these articles, with the colon included? No need to leave a redirect, I can take care of the links.
    Also, The Commandments of Kluex really needs the (first draft) removed. On another note, I think my overhaul of the Lorenavigation and Lorenav templates is pretty much finished, on my UserWiki and its Legacy subpage respectively. Though I'd appreciate any feedback, in case I missed anything.
    --- Post updated ---
    In particular, I'm unsure of how to handle Hiraki Corale's "A note on Glitch HierarchyA note on Glitch IndividualsA note on Glitch Outcasts" codexes.

I'd compress them into "A note on Glitch HierarchyGlitch IndividualsGlitch Outcasts" or "A note on Glitch HierarchyIndividualsOutcasts"... But then there's a danger of people getting the impression that "Individuals" and "Outcasts" are the full titles of these codexes, as there's no obvious indication they're part of a series. Maybe we could devise some ways of separating codex series from other codexes, instead of separating everything with just • ?
    --- Post updated ---
    Got an idea. What about including frames of a sort? It'd look like this:

[​IMG]

Perhaps it looks a bit too clunky, though... Easier to tell stuff apart, but clunky.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  5. Katzeus

Sure! I can get that sorted out
    Yeah, that looks good to me! I assume the first/unnumbered book link is to book 1?

6. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Yep, that it does.

Though perhaps we could also introduce articles for codex entry series? For example an article titled "Yolotli's Diary", which includes the contents of each codex? What do you think?

7. Katzeus

Ehhh, imo that's probably overkill - especially for codexes which are no longer in the game.

8. Katzeus

Alright, the articles have been moved. Looks like the images can't be moved - I get a file error trying to rename the images with a colon. Just a heads up!
    Done as well

I don't have any feedback changes for the lore navboxes - would you like me to move those over?

9. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Wouldn't going through a series somewhat more intuitive though, if someone wanted to access the whole thing?
    Thanks. No need to move the images, their current short names are fine!
    Actually, there's still a few finishing touches left, such as the series frames - should be done soonish.
    --- Post updated ---
    For that matter, what should I do about codex groups that have no clear "first entry", such as Greenfinger's Notes, or codex groups that have sub-groups, such as The Steel Casebook?
    --- Post updated ---
    I ended up using brackets to separate codex groups that don't follow the usual structure of a series composed of chapters.

[​IMG]

How does that look?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Looks fine to me.

11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

One thing I'd like to ask before wrapping it up - should Notes on Drysap 1 and Notes on Drysap 2 be considered Greenfinger codexes? They lack explicit mentions of Greenfinger, but they have some pretty clear tell-tale signs of the author being Greenfinger - Floran scientist working with saps, sending things to Greenguard, stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I would.

13. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Alright, I found a missing link in the form of Mallard Wrenolds' Diary, which serves for the definitive connection between Drysap and Greenfinger.

@Katzeus: Lore navboxes are now both all ready, I'd say.

14. Katzeus

Updated both templates with your changes.

Much improved! Really great work on those @Sligneris

15. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Well, it might not be all ready after all, depending on what we decide on when it comes to two more codexes.

What should we do about "Results of Ascension #38491" and "Guard log #4731842"? Neither are part of a series and they both feature some really absurd numbers that just make accessing their articles harder. We've already cut index numbers from articles from articles before, with "Internal Report #E86A". Should we do the same here?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  16. Katzeus

Yeah, may be good. I'd leave redirects prob since those pages are years old and may have links from who-knows-where. They've both been removed, so it's more about the wiki looking clean I think then matching the 'In Game Name' at this point.

17. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

About that, I made some additional changes to the legacy navbox; made a number of titles appear in more concise forms, typically based on their item names. So, for example "A pamphlet with a footprint on it" or "A drawing carved into slate" are instead listed as "Stamped-on pamphlet" and "Slate drawing". While it looks better on the navbox, I'm worried if that's not pushing it somehow...?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  18. Katzeus

This sounds alright to me

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm... leery of that. Like I'm okay with dropping opening "A"s and "The"s, but making up new names doesn't feel right.

It's not something I'm super-against here, but... I wouldn't, personally.

20. Katzeus

I don't really feel super strongly either way - I'd advocate for adherence to the game names if they were't removed codexes. If we were discussing the current codexes in game (or any other current items/objects) I'd def approach it differently.