Linus' new home (Don't read this, it was stupid)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AureusWolf, Apr 11, 2017.

?

Would you like to see this in the game?

1. Yes!

27.5%
  2. Heck yes!

32.5%
  3. No!

25.0%
  4. Heck no!

15.0%
  1. AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've decided to delete this suggestion. It was terrible and completely contradicts the vibe of the game. I'm ashamed to have even considered thinking this idea was viable or acceptable.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
      Focean, IdeaChild, jesstarcow and 2 others like this.
    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Every so often, someone suggests having Linus move into a home, either one built for him, or one left vacant by a bachelor/bachelorette moving in with your farmer, or what have you. While it's very gratifying that so many players want to look out for Linus (he's one of my favorite characters), I think they are missing who his character is. Linus is not homeless, he is not a sad lonely drifter, and he is not longing for a roof over his head. Linus is a modern-day Druid, a man who has, by his own admission, voluntarily given up living in human society so that he can be one with nature around him. His dialogue often speaks of how satisfying and peaceful his life is, and how he feels at home with only trees and the sky surrounding him. Evidence from both the existing dialogue and a few segments that were cut from the game (but recovered by judicious exploration using editing tools) show he is an old friend of Rasmodius', perhaps the natural counterpart to the wizard's own formal magic. Your idea is very kind-hearted, but I do not see Linus even wanting to live in a building again, or to leave his beloved woods and lakeshore.

• JB_Markowicz

JB_Markowicz Void-Bound Voyager

The idea is good, but i don't think it's necessary, don't get me wrong, it's just because Linus always acted like he doesn't care about living in the wild, he doesn't have friends except the player, so it would be weird to change so much Linus' personality, and your thread doesn't show his personality well, you showed him as a hobo that lost his house and you turn him into a slave.
        He is a brave person that lives in nature cause he doesn't want to stay far from it, he is a great guy who lives by his own, not ignoring society of course, but not being loaded from it, that's why my vote is ''heck no!'', he's not a hobo who needs your help to have a home, himself is his home.

• AureusWolf

I can see everyone is very upset with my idea. For my atrocity I will be leaving the forums and I will come back when I feel I deserve to be part of this community. I'm sorry for my awful post and I promise it will never happen again.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Upset? I see no anger in anyone's reply. Nobody has posted to yell or personally attack you. (I did not participate in the poll, so I do not even know if 'heck no' garnered many votes.) There is nothing wrong with you expressing an idea, just keep in mind that others are welcome to disagree with your idea if they feel differently. Leaving the forums seems unnecessary under the circumstances.

EDIT: And for the record, I agree with your other post today, about the ability to give Gunther gifts and developing his personality and history. He's an under-utilized character who could benefit from more dialogue and perhaps an additional cut-scene or two.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
              NasikaSakura likes this.
            • AureusWolf

I'm just a very firm believer in first impressions. My first post and it upset allot of people. Not only that I feel like I mocked this game and the character Linus for seeing him as a farm animal I could just pick up off the side of the road. I claim to love this game and everything about it but my actions and words don't prove it.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

It's a game. You didn't try to drag an actual homeless person off for servitude. I really don't think anyone here is going to give you a hard time based on one post. And if they do, that's what moderators are for.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

As a huge Linus fan I'd love to offer him a home as well, but like Lilliput said he's quite content living as he does - that being said, I don't deny that I put space heaters inside his tent during winter. >u< Its a very noble and compassionate thing to want to give someone shelter, and when the weather is the absolute worst I wouldn't see harm in maybe letting him spend a night or two on your couch or in one of the barns or sheds if he prefers to still remain somewhat close to nature. Its kind of a tricky suggestion because on one hand, you want to stay true to the character, but on the other, your humanity tugs at you just a bit and you want to help him be more comfortable. This isn't the first time it was suggested and I'm sure it won't be the last. ;)

To the OP - please hang around a bit longer. You'll find we're really a rather friendly bunch, but we also love this game to bits and like to make sure new players are well-informed. We do mean well though, promise! n_n

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that we should fix up the ruined cabin for him. It's far enough away from civilisation that he can be free, it's a roof over his head and he'd totally get on with the hat mouse!

Focean likes this.
                    • elartboy

elartboy Master Chief

that would be great

• Ipielle

Ipielle Title Not Found

Hi, I saw your idea and I loved it, especially the amount of detail you put in it. I also believe that it doesn't fit with Linus' character but it is a lovely idea all the same. Don't hesitate to give ideas even though people will think it doesn't fit or things like that. it shows that you want to go even further with the game and role play as much as you can with it and that's wonderful! ^^ The cabin in the wood might be a good middle-ground or you could even have Linus stay in his tent because that's his lifestyle but he could come and pay a visit to our farmer from time to time, or stay there in winter when it's really too cold, things like that... Anyway, thanks for sharing this idea with us!

• Pretty_Princess

Pretty_Princess Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea but I would go with something simple like building him a cabin where his tent is. He could still stay his character because he still has nothing but it shows how the town and the player caring about him. So basically character development. But great idea and looooooove the details.

• Focean

Focean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe an option can be added to Robin's Carpenter shop to let us build a small hut for Linus at the same spot. It won't exactly be a proper home but it'll be sturdier than his tent so he won't have to worry about people throwing rocks at his hut. The ruined cabin idea is nice too! Though I still think he'll prefer to live in the mountains so that he can get to the spa easily.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

I have the same problem that Lilliput explained in her very first post in this suggestion. While it is a kind gesture to offer Linus a home, he's made it clear that he's very happy where he is and wouldn't change it for anything. I'm really not sure there's anything we can do to make his situation better... how do you make someone who's already happy... happier? In some cases it's not possible if they're content and feel no need for anything else in their life. Trying to do anything more may end up just making them feel self-conscious (which Linus is when he's around other folks) or just generally uncomfortable.

While this is by no means a bad idea, I say "Let the Wild Man roam free!" :3

• AureusWolf

Please everyone, the kind comments are appreciated but this thread needs to die. The idea was terrible and I don't need to keep being reminded of it. Please do not comment on this post anymore. Thank you.