1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechs in SPAAAAACE!!!!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mahna, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mahna

Mahna Void-Bound Voyager

I just want to say that in all the time I have been playing Starbound that the Mech update is the most fun I have had in a long time.

I just have a couple issues. Zoom level, normally I would play in 2x zoom, but lately I have been watching Story Time With 2 the ranting gryphon and he plays at would appears to be 3x. Now I know there are mods that add zoom levels but with the size of the mechs and the distance some of the space enemies are attacking from I feel the Mech either needs to zoom out to 2.5x or there just needs be an option for it just to give space some more screen time.

Call Mech option. Again maybe there is a mod for this, but given how short a duration the mech has going down planet side with it is only useful to secure a landing zone. I recently got my butt kicked because this floran town decided to send me to a little camp right outside town for all the bad guys and my landing zone was too far away to get my mech to town even if I could pass through town with it. I had a flag down so let me call the mech to the flag so I can use it at that location.

Other then that pew pew pew Asteroids.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

There's already a zoom option in the Options menu, in Graphics.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The zoom at 2.5x thing was removed at one point, sadly, probably due to it causing a bug (because it was never an actual option in vanilla, but mods that added extra zoom levels suddenly found that they couldn't add it either after an update).

I agree on the mech call button, but I think it was probably a balance choice not to allow for that, despite the illogical nature of it.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

What exactly is fun? it feels like a simplified sidescroller form the 90's and the difficulty progression is nearly non existent. at leats i made EXTREME just with 2x the basic gun equipped.

5. Starbounder82

Starbounder82 Space Spelunker

Depends on your version of fun. If you're into collecting.. then collecting every mech schematic is fun. Or if you enjoy exploring and you haven't seen every single possible ship or anomaly reading.. then it's still fun to find that random thing you hadn't seen before. Also.. you're playing a game with throw-back graphics, it's not exactly out of place to have a throw-back sidescrolling shooter.

Side note: holding down "ctrl" while piloting a mech at 2x has helped me have more map coverage and visualization of enemies before running into them blindly. It also makes mech combat feel a little more engaging, as your camera will go where the cursor is, and you have to avoid mines, walls, or more enemies while trying to dodge/shoot the current ones you're targeting.

Apart from that though.. I do agree that difficulty is lacking - for instance, you can hug the top of most maps and avoid 90% of the enemies you'd find if you went charging through the middle. The rewards you get are somewhat uninspiring as well, unless you REALLY need copper/silver/gold.. there's just way too much of it in boxes, and off those little asteroid guys. Why can't they drop tier specific ore if they're dropping tier specific mech parts?

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

nothing is wrong with a good sidescroller, but seriously those "mine like" things are just sitting there getting shot from distance, and the other 4 types of enemies are also meh and not worth it. you can even on extreme shoot most of them on distance easily with 2x the basic gun. and you can dodge them sufficiently enough even with the basic chassis. The feature needs improvement and progression to be good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  7. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

i generaly agree.... but you actually shoot the mines? lol this is how you use tracking mines....

tho its little hard to do its poosible
    you either have to damage one and shoot it at right time,
    or its possible to let it detone on close proximite on you with no dmg - this is very hard to do, but still possible

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

sure the mines are free energy replacement. in a low level mech you also need soem more space to shoot down the extreme level mobs it wouldn't be good at all to run into the mines. with a high level emch, dunno, probbaly not needed anymore because plenty energy and near instant shoot down on those opponnents, but after 1 hours of athering materials the feature bore out too much to justify getting materials grined for better mech parts. People shouldn't be able to do extreme sites in the basic mech. Shooting a mine should definately trigger it active.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  9. Starbounder82

Starbounder82 Space Spelunker

Same argument could be made for planets, 90% of the mobs can be cheesed or avoided. You can do extreme planets naked with a javelin. It's ill advised, but doable. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing the game because it's easy, it is however.. great feedback for the developer. Hope they're reading all these threads!!!