1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Mods with GOG on mac ?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Autumntales, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Autumntales

Autumntales Void-Bound Voyager

Is it possible to install mods if I'm playing on GOG and on a mac ?
    It already seems more complicated on a Mac then a PC and I've read some places that I need to install another program since I'm not playing on Steam. What would be the easiest way to install a few mods and can't I do it directly without having to download something else ?

• Autumntales

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I don't have a Mac or the GOG version, but it should be as straightforward as the Steam version. There's a really good site over here that'll help walk you through things: http://canimod.com/

Basically, XNB mods like simple retextures; can be downloaded & installed directly. They just overwrite your game files.

The more advanced mods that drastically change the game fall under; SMAPI. They require you to install SMAPI first which might be the extra program you heard about. Though, it's not because you're not playing on Steam. It has all the extra code, that lets modders do more with the game.

• Autumntales

Thanks for the answer and for the guide!
        I've read most of it, but I'm such a noob that I'm not quite sure if I understand what I need to do. There's a complete section about SMAPI, but I'mostly interested in XNB mods (I just want the black cat and maybe change the farm buildings for the witchy ones). I'm looking for my save files that's supposed to be named ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves according to the guide, but it's nowhere to find :lod: It's as if I had no 'Stardew Valley' file at all since the game is an application. It's really weird.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Alrighty, well XNBs are a quite a bit easier.
          First off, you'll need the location of your game folder: http://canimod.com/for-players/faqs#game-folder
          According to that page; your location should be:
          "GOG: /Applications/Stardew Valley.app/Contents/MacOS"

Inside there should be a 'Content' folder. And, when you download an XNB mod like the black cat. It should tell you which sub-directory to place it in. Something like "Content/Animals/cat.xnb" Either, delete the one installed by the game, or rename it to something like "cat.xnb.bak" to make it a backup. Then you can place in the modded cat.xnb without issue.

And, for your savefiles. The '.config' folder of that location is hidden by default. Try using this guide to make hidden file/folders visible; and then navigate to that location:
          http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-library-folder-mac-3520878/