More Recipes Please

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dwarfus, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

How many times can the TV possibly rerun the Stir Fry episode of The Queen of Sauce? I've counted more than five times, at least. I say we replace those excess reruns with more recipes! For example: It really surprises me how such country people can have no idea what cornbread is. And where's the potato salad? The grits?

Faeryheart likes this.
    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

It always bothers me to see the recipe collection screen and how the first tab is filled with row after row of recipes, but the second tab has... crab cakes. And that's it. Just crab cakes, and a lot of blank space. We need potato salad! We need cornbread!

But we do not need grits.

Anyhow, that aside, the suggestion still stands, that second, nearly blank recipe collection tab needs a lot of new things to fill it out. Where's the apple pie? Mashed potatoes! Roasted corn on the cob! Grilled cheese? There are dozens of ingredients that are either only used in one recipe-- and a few that are used in none! That seems like something that should be balanced out a bit more.

Surenu likes this.
      • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Hey don't pick on grits, I eat those daily. lol (Instant but they still count.)

For real though I agree, more stuff to cook with all those crops and stuff we accumulate. I still want tea and herbs and more drinks too, I know we're getting coffee but maybe some regular non-alcoholic fruit juice drinks. Smoothies! Yogurt! Etc...

Also, this post made me hungry. >u<

MrToni300 likes this.
        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Crack an egg into those grits and stir. Add spices. Top with shredded cheese. Bake until firm.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I actually smoosh an avocado into mine. I don't know if that's weird or not but it's delicious and it fills me up pretty decently.

MrToni300 likes this.
            • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I like my avocados marinated in soy sauce and Asian spices, on a bed of rice.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
              • Ennarcia

Ennarcia Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to make a tuna fish salad sandwich.

• 1wolffan

1wolffan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally I love Mashed potatoes too, but I don't know quite how to do the 'gravy' part of that with current Stardew ingredients. I also like fruit-juice options as well, but I think I've mentioned them in another thread, so I'm not going to get back into that here. I actually wanted to search up grilled cheese; and this thread showed up, so obviously I agree with that particular idea. Grilled cheese should be an earlier recipe, but I can't decide if it's better than survival burger or not. Since cheese and milk are more expensive ingredients to make the recipe, I'd think it'd be better/worth a bit more.

There's actually a few more sandwiches I can think of too - asterisks indicate more difficult options, if needed for balance:
                  Tuna Salad Sandwich mentioned above (bread, tuna, mayo, spring onion* or garlic*) - still can't believe there's no lettuce in the game.
                  Tuna Melt (bread, tuna, cheese, mayo*)
                  Grilled Cheese (wait, I already said that one. ;) bread, cheese, tomato*)
                  Nut and Jam Sandwich (bread, any jam, hazelnut) - I'd say Peanut Butter, but ground hazelnuts is the closest I can think of in Stardew

And here's some non-sandwich, country-style recipes I can work out - same thing with the asterisks as above:
                  above-mentioned (a-m) corn-on-the-cob (corn, oil) - why don't we have butter churns?
                  a-m Cornbread (corn, milk, oil, flour*) - seriously, no butter churns? LOL
                  a-m Grits (corn, either milk, or oil) - butter again
                  a-m Apple Pie (apple, oil, flour, sugar) - butter?
                  a-m Potato Salad (potato, spring onion, mayo, vinegar*)
                  Ratatouille (eggplant, tomato, spring onion and/or garlic, oil, hot pepper*) - there are no bell peppers, so I settled for hot peppers
                  2-Alarm Chili (2 Hot peppers, spring onion, garlic, tomato, flour, green bean*) - no other bean options, no meats either, but CHILI
                  Quiche (2 eggs, cheese, oil, flour, 2 brown mushrooms)
                  Stuffed Mushrooms (2 brown mushrooms, flour, spring onion, oil)
                  Corn Relish (corn, spring onion, vinegar)
                  Salsa (tomato, hot pepper, spring onion, garlic, vinegar)

Without meat and/or meat substitute, It's hard to make a lot of the recipes I know of from the country...
                  like: bacon 'n eggs', chicken pot pie, pot roast, meatloaf, most picnic sandwiches, fried chicken, honey-glazed ham, chicken alfredo, hamburger, salisbury steak, lasagna (though this one could be vegetarian), and of course, just plain ol' cooked meats like steak, pork chops and, veal. Not to mention, jerky. But based on the fact that there are no non-vegetarian dishes, this likely won't happen. I'm just glad it didn't end up being a vegan recipe system; I couldn't imagine not ever being able to make things out of the eggs, and milks. LOL

NOTE: Sorry for all the spring onions, but there aren't any regular onions in the game, so this is the closest I can get.
                  Also: I couldn't decide whether it was better to rez a thread I found, by searching first, or just make my own. You can guess which I decided.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

If you wanted to make me ravenously hungry, congratulations, you have succeeded ;)

As for the actual suggestion: I'm all for it, even though I'm not big on cooking in the game. I'd kind of like to see fried potatos (1 Potato + 1 Oi), fish salad (1 Tuna + 1 Tomato + 1 Kale + 1 Oil) and bruschetta (1 Bread + 1 Tomato + 1 Garlic + 1 Oil)

• purifico

purifico Void-Bound Voyager

More recipes and a cooking skill tree would be nice. I would also like to see cooking bundles for the comunity center's kitchen. Maybe a cooking festival too. Just give us a cooking centered patch please