1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Mutagen RPG Skills 1.0.0

Passive Character Growth

1. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

Claith submitted a new mod:

Mutagen RPG Skills - Passive Character Growth

Read more about this mod...

2. betailas

betailas Subatomic Cosmonaut

How does this mod work? I've intsalled it , killed some monsters but can't see any proggress or sign that mod is working.

3. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

That is for the 1.1 release. I released it in an earlier state than I wanted.

Anyways, if you want to see the skill levels, as they are, you have to enable debug mode, so /admin then /debug, then you can disable admin mode.

I'm currently in the process of refactoring the mod to see if that helps with performance. It will be another day or two at least, before that version gets released. If it works well, then it will be the 1.0 proper, then I'll work on an interface to see the skill levels.

I had a choice when designing the skills. Specifically, I wanted long term growth, so the effects may not be as strong as they could be. For things like jumping skill, I found that high values caused gameplay to be harder, so I put in a derivative skill (I'd like to do this for the others too) that levels up with jumping and running. That is the evasion skill, which I haven't tested if it even works yet, ran out of time before the self-imposed release deadline. Sorting out the performance issues is the primary goal right now.

---------

Edit:

After rereading, I think I see the disconnect. Sadly, there is not a way, as far as I've been able to find (do have a clue, but haven't followed it) to track information on when a player attacks or kills an enemy. This isn't a kill mob, get xp towards level type of system. I wanted a passive system. The more you run, the higher your running skill gets. That type of system. I wanted character growth, but if I put that in as the title, I'm sure it would be more confusing for some. If I could, at this time, do the kill and get xp approach, I'd use it for the weapon skills I want to implement.

-------

Also, I can't make assumptions, but in general, make sure the file is unzipped. It isn't setup for a simple, drop and release installation. That will be the 1.0 milestone once again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. betailas

betailas Subatomic Cosmonaut

waiting dof a stable version ;)

5. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

That would be for the best. Hopefully I'll have a decently performing version soon, then it is time to learn how to work on the interface.

Thank you for your interest.

6. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

Claith updated Mutagen RPG Skills with a new update entry:

Redesign, no interface yet.

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]
    This is a very interesting mod, even just getting start and still buggy (a bit) BUT good, very good. Looking forward for next update

8. EpicHyloti101

EpicHyloti101 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is it possible to make the character taller? to 6 blocks tall?

9. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

Well, ignoring the art assets, you could change the collision box. That isn't something I ever plan to touch upon, primarily because I'd have to make new art assets for every race and such. I do not believe I have seen a method to scale character models. Your question made me think of Mario Bros.

10. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

What do you find buggy? I've been using this mod for a while and haven't seen a bug related to the mod yet. It would probably need a bit of nerfing, at least on jumping part, since I can almost jump to double height now and im only at lvl 15 :) but that's about it from my testing so far... still I wonder what your bug was.

Claith likes this.
  11. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

If you have any balance issues, like jumping being too powerful, let me know. I was thinking I should lower the leveling up rate a bit, but it feels fine for linear skills, but not ones like jumping or running where the increase is large right off the bat. I can adjust the modifier for those pretty quickly. I was too distracted to think of the balance between the implementations. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anyways, bit stalled on the interface. Need to read into and figure out the canvas system before I can do anything, and the next three weeks are going to be hectic. As much as I'd like to continue working on this, I may not be able to update in short order. If and when I get an interface in, I'd like to be able to set the strength of the effect (up to the character's level) in it, as well as enable and disable them and so forth.

12. Claith likes this.
  13. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

That is beautiful. I was dreading having to go through your interface code and other's to piece together what functions existed and how they worked. Going from the front page of starbounder, I keep finding it harder and harder to find the modding section. You've saved me days of works.

i would like to call the interface from the AI system, any idea if that will be possible?

14. Heh. I have it bookmarked. That site is a pain to navigate.

I can take a look later on tonight when I get home, but the answer is more than likely going to be a solid "it cant be done". Most of their interface stuff is hardcoded and handled by the engine via callbacks in order to bring up new UIs without the use of loading another .config to generate the structures. On top of that its impossible to make a button do things (The UI widget - not the canvas ones we made) as they are not able to have a defined behaviour and attempting to make one without having the engine link it to a callback will cause the game to crash. The best you could get is just another object that could be placed in the ship to do something similar.

While on topic, I am not sure what you are planning to use the UI for but as far as I am aware there are no ways to link a player's resources (Stat stuff) to an object or even Lua script other than the one you modified to get the initial RPG-esque behavior.

Claith likes this.
  15. Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]
    Oh my paw, i'm so sorry, it wasn't a bug at all, i'm so sorry for what i said

Claith likes this.
  16. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Word. There is a newly added link to the modding section in the front page index, I added it a few weeks ago (Center column, 3rd from the top).

Claith and severedskullz like this.
  17. nekomaster

nekomaster Subatomic Cosmonaut

The mod seems like a good idea but I can't get it to work, after starbound starts loading a little it crashes.

I attached a screen shot of the error window and my starbound log.

Attached Files:

Claith likes this.
  18. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

From your log:
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Enraged Koala - Update 6' Protocol: 642

This mod is for nightly version of the game and should be something like this (from my log):
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe - Update 1' Protocol: 662

Claith likes this.
  19. nekomaster

nekomaster Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, I don't use nightlies, I tried them but things broke... a shame though, i liked the Ship AI thingy in the nightlies.

20. Claith

Claith Big Damn Hero

I wish I could work on the mod right now. I haven't been able to do anything for some time. After Christmas I should have some time to actually work on the mod, and it seems that the nightly's mod system will be in the stable soon, so the mod should be usable soon for you. Still need to make the interface, and a bit of modifications to the ability scaling.

Thanks for the interest, but sorry for the lack of updates and troubles.