Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by SB Fanfiction Network, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Would it be pretentious and not starboundy enough if I were to write some short stories pertaining to the deeper and darker lore aspects regarding the Sallok, Salzar, Syphrauk, and their progenitors?
    (Also may include stuff that is debatably NSFW... Including but not limited to examples of successful religious and cultural genocide, the development of using and controlling cancer as a driving force for a civilization with the studies being based on live subjects (basically, cancer being the quantum leap of the Salzar rather than fire), the eventual discovery of the soul during attempts at cloning technology (followed by more dubious experiments and ever darker concepts), slave farming (sort of similar to raising animals in modern day feedlots/factories), and other similar subjects)

Lavranzo and Lodish like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Out of curiosity, what would make a good name for the Apex homeworld? Considering the 1984 theme, my guess would be 'Apex One' or something along those lines. But does anyone have any interpretations / headcanon about it?

I ask because I've been thinking about doing an epic Starbound fic re-imagining the plot to be a bit more epic and emotionally-involving than it is now. It's slow going since most of my writing focus is on H&L, but I've got a pretty good framework for the first chapter so far.

Lavranzo, The Squid, Alkanthe and 2 others like this.
  3. Jareix Cryvix

Hmm... I think something like that would work. Maybe "Apex 1A" to be more specific for its colonization signature. Other conquered worlds would be listed as "Apex :designation:" with all evidence of previous inhabitants being eradicated. Nobody needs to know that this used to be Avos. They just need another planet to cope with their rapidly climbing populations... And when they get bigger, they get harder to control...
    Reminds me of a short story I wrote a few weeks ago...

By the way Jonesy, what would be considered SFW and NSFW from the list above? I'd like to know before I end up posting a depressingly endless downwards spiral of destruction and despair of a culture's total extinction from the glory blind eyes of another.

Jonesy likes this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Bit hard to say. Rule enforcement surrounding NSFW content doesn't often cover dark themes. I'd say try keeping it matching Starbound's 'dark but not too dark, plus a few laughs' style. Maybe the Apex occupiers embark on a long series of increasingly bizarre attempts to get conquered Avians to enjoy bananas and accept their new interior design aesthetic.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Well, if you've ever seen the film Snowpiercer, you can get a good idea of where things will go...

The Squid and Lodish like this.
  6. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Alright, I uploaded a new chapter, if anyone is interested, feel free to read it and tell me what do you think ^.^

7. Deep Space Amphithere

Deep Space Amphithere Void-Bound Voyager

Hello! This group is cool! I will join soon, but not yet!
    Anyway, I need some advice on a story I'm writing in the background (SB related, so I will post it eventually). I have an Apex character who is ... Pretty flat. And this is a huge problem, because they play an extremely important role in the story. All I have now is that they were rescued from a Minikong-controlled town, and i need a reason for them to be hunted down.

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Welcome! Anyway I should say that this group is pretty much dead by now. It's been over a year since the last post... Not sure if there's activity on Discord anymore.
    I'll add you if you want membership, though.

9. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

In terms of membership, what @Zebe said. As for the character, try thinking about what their personality is like (whether they're funny, serious, etc.) and then indirectly work in examples of this into their introduction, backstory, description, whatever. What I've found is that characters seem more 'real' if you highlight specific anecdotes from their past. If you add in dialogue, their personal thoughts/beliefs, and other stuff like that, you should be off to a good start. :up:

10. Lavranzo

Lavranzo Pangalactic Porcupine

We're not dead, we've just... uh... gone into a temporary scribostasis (which is totally a real word).

As for the character, Squid's advice is solid. I often find myself writing characters from my real life into characters of my writings - be that myself, a friend, or some family member. If you find your character flat, try to imagine somebody you know (even fictional characters) in the role of that character. (My crushes often lend themselves as handy guidelines for my work's romantic figures; my closest friends bestow upon my deuteragonists some universal familiarity; the list goes on).

11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

vibe check