new - trying to help update a Wiki page

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by True Magus, Jul 3, 2017.

1. True Magus

True Magus Void-Bound Voyager

Hay guys, I can not believe this account is still around. Anyways, While playing I found an item that you can get in Starbounds current build, but is "disabled" tag in Wiki. So, showing my appreciation I decided to create an account, learn how to edit and to basically update that page. Well, its odd but editing has been hard so far, when making the exact same changes causes different outcomes in the review which makes me think something is not right, might be a bug. I dont know.

But, the item in question is the "Skull Wall Torch", which can be bought from the Bonesmith Merchant tenants.

I have been playing a lot lately and I find these things sometimes and thought I would try to contribute, even if its only a tiny bit >< So, I am hoping I find some one through this method that can help with this.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Hey good catch.

For the most part clicking 'edit' at the top of a page is enough to open the window to update page information. If you want to see the full text of the page you could also use 'edit source' (though in some cases you'll need to refresh the cache for the page to make it appear after editing this way by clicking the refresh tab).

I updated that page as an example so you can see what I changed.

The disabled header on that page is driven by the template {{disabled}} - so removing that text removed the header notice.

The brackets denote a link to another page (in this case tenant) and the # is used to go to a specific section (always replace spaces with _ for that), the site uses 'Mediawiki' software, there are many resources all over to get more details about it.

Take a look at the starbound wiki specific editing guides there too, they should give a good overview to help you get started

True Magus likes this.
  3. True Magus

True Magus Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, thanks. It was just odd that to just remove the {{disabled}} provided me different results when I previewed how it would look. sometimes it appeared correctly and other times it was just be a blank black page and that made me nervous to commit to it. I was not going to try to update something like that until I was %100 sure it would work. Ill be sure to do the same if I find other things of that nature in the Wiki.

Katzeus likes this.