Story Night Sky - A Starbound Story - *Discontinued*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Zebe, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]
    (But my gratefulness for that review remains)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Tatterdemalion likes this.
  2. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

Ponamis, Tatterdemalion and Alkanthe like this.
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

Ponamis, Captain Karo and Alkanthe like this.
  4. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

5. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

6. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

So its NSFW? :pfff:

I kid, I kid. Gonna take me a while to catch up on what you've written

MysticMalevolence and Zebe like this.
  7. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Yeah technically it is NSFW. I mean, what else could it be? these jokes are the literally best thing about that name
    And thanks for reading! :D

MysticMalevolence and Alkanthe like this.
  8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Among the ~2 reasons I still visit these forums.

Zebe likes this.
  10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Not any updates on the story, but here's something to check out:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/community-fan-fiction.105230/#post-2763558
    It's a Community Fanfiction project I'm part of. Kind of a collaborative story with multiple authors. You can take part by simply submitting a character with an application. Your character will then have a part in the story! Go on and have a look, there are more details in the thread.

As always, check out the NSFW too:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/103004/

Heh, thanks. You'll have a reason to visit the forums for a looong time...

MysticMalevolence and Alkanthe like this.
  11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

12. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

Changes have been made! ^^

13. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

So. An update about this massive nonsensical story that has 10,000 views now. Woah. I know this has been here for 1,5 years and there has been time for people stumble upon this, but still. It's a milestone in these murky subforums. Thanks for all the readers!

It's been a while since this got any updates. I said that Night Sky would have weekly (or at least near-weekly) updates, but alas, that didn't work at all. I've still got like five near-complete chapters there, but they aren't as good as I'd like them to be. Even the previous chapters have some spelign erors and mistakes grammatical which I need to fix. Which kinda sucks in a semi-major fashion. Add that to the busy schedule I'm having and out comes the situation where I have no motivation to work on this.

tl;dr: Next chapter in May.

Now that's out of the way (phew), I can say a word other interesting stuff, like the Noble Sin Chronicles thing I mentioned way back in January. It's a... entirely different kind of thing, so I've had more time to work on that.
    I believe Night Sky is the longest Starbound fanfic. I've never seen another display of wasted time miraculous fan dedication like this one (if someone sees this and knows a longer one please tell me so I can go and claim that title). Anyways, I sorely need another thing to brag about, so this upcoming thing is going to break another record (according to my research, at least).
    That's coming late this month or sometime next month... or so. Deadlines never work.

15. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

So. That was May.

That doesn't mean I've forgotten Night Sky, no. This story is just too important for me to just end it without any announcement. And I'm not planning to make such an announcement. I'm not sure if anyone remembers this story, but I think this update is more for me than for you readers. (You're a reader, right? If not, make yourself one!) I think saying it will make me concentrate on it more: this story will continue. I've been writing lately; slowly, paragraph by paragraph. I haven't made much progress. I don't think my creativity has recovered from the busy spring fully yet. But it's summer now. Writing will be easier.

A month, and the 2-year anniversary for this story will be here. I've done awfully slow progress. Originally I thought I'd be done in a year. But NOPE, no chance. Deadlines, deadlines never change. I think I'll update before July, though. Also, I think I have to go back to Shadows from the Abyss, because that thing needs retcons due to new SB lore I suppose. Noble Sin Chronicles? this is totally falling apart. i update what i feel like updating

Ramble out.

16. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

So. Time to face the reality.

I will never finish this story. I've known that for a long while. This story isn't even at the halfway point to the halfway point. Even if I'd post new chapters weekly, Night Sky wouldn't see it's planned end in a year. Not in two years. It's ridiculous. I've been way too ambitious with this story.
    Secondly, the quality of the writing terrible. I mean, does anyone even read this? Spelling and grammar errors and a mediocre story. Every time I've read even the latest chapters, I just give up immediately and lose all my motivation to write more. Suffice to say, I haven't written much since that post above this one.

So much to write, and so little motivation to continue writing. As much as I love this story, I know it's not going anywhere anymore. The story follows rails I set up years ago, and although I know my past self accepted that route, my present self sees that the railway could be a whole lot better. I've been trying to bend the tracks the right way as I've chugged out the chapters, but now I see that no proper train would ever follow this. Where I'm going with this metaphor? Well, I've been writing this for a long time. This is the longest Starbound fanfiction to exist, if I'm not wrong. And now it's coming to an end.

TL;DR: Night Sky is over. I may write a summary of the story I had in mind at some point. (No idea when. It'll be a long one, indeed...)

Apologies to everyone that had submitted a request character. You may have wanted to see your characters involved, but this is how it ends. It was always more of a "this is a story, send characters if you want to see them in it" kind of a deal, not "send characters, I write a story for them". Nevertheless, I'm sorry.

This was kinda ramble-ish, but something I needed to get off my chest. It's kind of a relief, honestly. This story has felt like a trap, something I'm obligated to finish, even though that's been just a self-imposed goal. But it's time to let it go. I'll still write Starbound stuff though. I'm not totally quitting. Next I probably I'll finish the thing I had with Noble Sin Chronicles, and maybe continue writing that. It's far less stressful and I can still change the story as much as I want. I may rewrite/revise Shadows too, at least make some corrections to it so it "fits" to the canon 1.0 lore if not anything else. I want to have one complete SB fic I'm happy with, might as well be the first one.

Thanks for reading. I liked this story, I hope you liked it as well.

17. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I'm glad you did what you had to. Glad to see that you'll hopefully continue on writing, and will patiently await for more. ;)

Zebe likes this.
  18. Ponamis

Ponamis Title Not Found

That's a shame, oh well. I hope to see more of Noble Sin Chronicles soon at least.
    Don't be like that. Night sky is arguably the best story in the entire starbound forum.

Zebe likes this.
  19. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I'll probably post some Noble Sin sneak peeks in July. The thing is quite different of what I've previously posted here. It's been 7 months in the making, (I haven't worked on it all the time, but still) and I really hope it's worth the effort.

I am like that. Grammar errors, misused words, etc. are enough to get my mood down, but the fact that I know I could do better with the story is the true inspiration killer. But it's way too late to remedy that, sadly. And I've never thought my story as the best here. But I'm happy and honored you see it that way! Thank you!

I certainly won't stop writing, but Night Sky isn't something I enjoy writing like I used to.

Tatterdemalion and Ponamis like this.
  20. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, this is kinda sad. Night Sky's been a staple forever. Well, let me tell you-- your work is great and expansive, and I've always admired your stories. I hope you'll move on to bigger and better tales and opportunities now. It was a very, very good run, but it's good that you're dropping this if there isn't a spark anymore (I know the feeling. In addition to dropping off the forums, I've just felt no ambition to return to SV so far). Good luck to you on Noble Sin Chronicles and whatever else you dream up!

Zebe and Alkanthe like this.