Novakid page overhaul's... unique issues.

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jul 7, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

http://starbounder.org/UserWiki:MSipher

I decided to sandbox this one since there's two big things going on here...

1) I think we're gonna need a new table-template-type for weapons. I do wanna put the old racial crafted weapons in the races' Beta sections, and the Novakid's current unique weapons in their equipment section, plus to be honest I think it'd be good to have the current Anvil/Forge/Replicator generic craftable weapons in nice charts in their relevant pages (Swords, Hammers, bla bla bla), something similar to how the racial armor template looks. While I can certianly envision what information should be there and how it looks, coding it is thoroughly beyond my capabilities.

2) I've got some questions on how to handle... well, the "creator intent" stuff, all the posts and whatnot about the Novakid that are not reflected in the game. Every now and then I see people talking about the Novakid origin and... where in the hell did that come from? How much of that really has a place on the wiki, if it's not a thing from Chucklefish staff in official Chucklefish releases (the game itself, the upcoming book, staff forum posts)? My past wiki experience says "passing mention in notes at best, more likely no mention". And if this wiki is gonna make that division, I'd like some help sorting "official" from "non-official" information, 'cuz digging through all that is a tad outside my "I have time for this" range.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

1) I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting here - maybe a mockup (even graphical)?
    2) Yeahhhh, this is a tricky bit. The Novakid lore mostly comes from the race suggestion thread - which was 'assumed canon' when the race was adopted into the game. A bunch was made by the player who proposed the race, not the dev team - and some was adapted and some was not. I agree it'd be good to separate 'Full canon' from this other info - but don't think the info should be removed entirely as if it were fan-fiction/theories. A bunch of this info - while not officially confirmed in game, pre-dates them being added to the game, so I think it's important to include somehow.

Unfortunately I think the only way is to go through and maybe separate everything into a separate section. For this infomation I think we should make it more clear than 'Non-Official' info, since it's somewhere between official and non-official imo. Mostly I want to be careful not to open the door to a bunch more 'fan theory' and unofficial lore that will need maintaining/reviewing in other articles.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'll throw together a mockup of what I'm thinking for a weapon table later tonight. Figuring out game data tables and charts was my actual job for a good five years, heh. So many JRPGs.

I absolutely agree on keeping fan-theory to the barest of bare minimums on the wiki. Again I'm pulling on my wiki experience elsewhere, but I'm just being more... cautious here since not every wiki is gonna have the same rules (assuming there's anyone enforcing rules) and I'm still feeling it out. For TFWIKI, fan-theory only gets mentioned in "Notes" if it's simply become so ubiquitous that not addressing it would be considered neglectful, but it's also always. ALWAYS. clearly marked as non-canon fan-theory.

And this is a situation that's popped up often in the past there, though usually it's after-the-fact information from an author or team member once a piece of fiction ends, canceled scripts, etc. Thus...

"Pseudocanon". Might be the best way to title that section, with a note up top...
    Note: The information below is considered "pseudocanon". It comes from the original concept creator, but has not been used by Chucklefish in any official media. Thus it is not "canon", but is more than fan-theory. It is included here to inform, but should not be taken as "true", as later official updates may contradict it.

4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I put a half-full mockup of a Weapon chart in the sandbox article. I mean it CAN be done this way, but maybe there's a more graceful implementation than manually plugging in all that info. To be honest I'm leaning away from having the icon there just because of how much vertical space they force into the thing, and a smaller font to match the Armor table might be better. But you get the idea of what info I think is important there.

Something like that would be useful in more places than just the Races' hub-pages. Like the normal "Hammer" page can have a chart of all the "unique" Hammers in the game (craftable or found).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017