1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Ok, I have a question for everyone:

What would you guys think of masked penguins being merged with normal penguins? Like... "Female Penguins", being masked penguins?

I'm debating on this, since both penguin genders look identical in the current version anyway.

Pros:

-Masked penguins would be accessible with just the Normal Penguin addon, and would just mix with normal penguins. (About 50/50 more than likely)
    -Would eliminate the need for the Masked Penguin Addon for those that like that race.

Cons:

-Would phase out the masked penguins as a separate race (particularly in terms of saves. I would leave the masked penguin "race" stuff in the game files for awhile.. but would eventually remove it sooner or later.)
    -Anything else I'm not taking into account

Please give me some feedback on this idea.

2. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

yeah. although the bounciess does make a few things more challenging....

...a bag of rocks back item that weighs you down?
    edit: what about having it so that both penguins have the Masked things, and females have a longer beak or something?
    besides, male and female penguins look similar IRL [​IMG]

3. ManicRykker

Well that's sorta the point. The bounciness is sort of one of the penguin's drawbacks.

It used to be quite more prominent back in the mod's beta, but I lowered it a few notches. (You can really see first hand just how wacky the factor can be with a high setting by observing the Manic Penguin) You mostly just have to put some timing into where your jumping to, and not jump around like a maniac. (They have reduced fall damage too, which makes short falls a little less fatal for your penguin.

It also didn't make much sense, since the bounciness is actually a thing in the real world. The smaller ones have some of that shock when bursting out of the water, coupled with other things in play, to keep them from smashing against the rocks like a pancake.)

That said, the best advice I can give for the bounciness, is to work with it/adapt.

Anywho, I'm definitely thinking about all of this... penguin "males" and penguin "females" already share a few aspects. (They look the same, they share the same crouch sounds, they use one single name gen, etc)

I think I'm probably going to generalize the "genders" for penguins. Penguins will take the left slot, and Masked penguins will take the right. That way, the player can properly just project whatever gender they want their little penguin to be. It will be up to you, rather than a one time press of a slot on character creation. (Want to be a dude, or a chick? Fine. Want to be a dude under cover with a female name, since other races can't tell you apart? That's fine too. :rofl:)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    jonathonspy likes this.
  4. ManicRykker

Hey guys, got some news.

As you probably know by this point, Starbound 1.3 has hit unstable. (I didn't know, as I couldn't connect to the Internet yesterday.. What luck right? :rofl:)

Well, the update I'm currently working on, because of this, won't be pushed until the update is live in the main game, and I have checked compatibility. So it's gonna be awhile.. lol

jonathonspy likes this.
  5. ManicRykker

Another status report for my fellow pengs:

Update's coming along nicely. Working in unstable's been a bit rocky, due to the little updates/tweaks they've been pushing to that... but I've managed!

Been doing lots of reworks to some stuff in the mod. Expect to see that sometime after 1.3 officially drops.

jonathonspy likes this.
  6. ManicRykker

Weeeell!!

....Welly well well well....

Welly welly well well well well........

...........Starbound 1.3 pushed to the main game sooner than I anticipated. I'm not quite done yet. :rofl:...

Penguin Piracy will update soon.

jonathonspy likes this.
  7. jonathonspy

Idea.

Chicken Race.
    less swimming, worse fliers than the Puffins (but still capable) and better run speed?
    and the sounds are different....clucking everywhere, a real.....clucking mess you could say
    Roosters have the long tail feathers, and a louder crow..

8. ManicRykker

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Piracy Mod with a new update entry:

PenguinPiracy V10 - The Emperor Penguin Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

jonathonspy likes this.
  9. ManicRykker

While checking out content in the new update, why not give the new Penguin Archives a look? You can buy the new console from the Penguin King for dirt cheap.

[​IMG]

I am quite proud of how it turned out! There is even some tweaked/new information in there.

I'll probably be updating this console to provide more services/information in the future too.

jonathonspy likes this.
  10. jonathonspy

made a new penguin character, when inspecting stuff it seems to use the vanilla human dialogue
    also i seem to lose breath faster, not slower.
    Edit: when i throw a capture mod, it comes from above me

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  11. ManicRykker

Hm... The capture pod thing I'm not sure about. Either a "it's fitted for humanoids" issue or... something else, I dunno. Rofl

The dialog changes only apply to the intro. Also, the new races don't have dialog in the patches yet. Didn't have time to add them last night.

And for the breathing, what're the circumstances? What penguin type are you using?

jonathonspy likes this.
  12. NaturesWitness

NaturesWitness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm getting loads of spam in the log file about a penguinenergynerf status not being found. I'm also getting an error about a penguin Mech arm part. Let me know if you need a log, and I'll try to get one that isn't like 10 mb.

EDIT - I'll just post the offending lines, you probably don't need a log with 5000 of the exact same line.
    This one just shows up once-
    [19:04:00.997] [Error] Could not apply patch from file /vehicles/modularmech/modularmech.vehicle.patch in source: ..\mods\PenguinPiracy.pak. Caused by: (JsonPatchException) Could not apply patch to base. (JsonPatchException) Could not apply operation to base. (TraversalException) No such key 'armorCosmeticOverrides' in pathApply("/loungePositions/seat/armorCosmeticOverrides/head")

And this one shows up many, MANY times-
    [19:04:52.229] [Warn] Unique status effect 'pengmaxenergynerf' not found in status effect database

Hope this helps, this is a great mod.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  13. ManicRykker

Well the penguin mech arm isn't something of mine. (1.3 has a shockhopper mech)

As for the status spam, I did do a pretty big overhaul of the status effect/attribute system for penguin races... I'm guessing this spam is occuring on a pre-existing character? (I might throw a dummy stat in there that does the same thing as the new one. Maybe that could deal with the spam... hm.)

jonathonspy likes this.
  14. ManicRykker

Just to be clear, the status effect is called "pengenergynerf" right? Edit: Oh. didn't see the edit until a refresh.. nvm :rofl:

jonathonspy likes this.
  15. ManicRykker

Wait the patch for the mech helmet doesn't work? Hm... I need to take another look at the files...

jonathonspy likes this.
  16. NaturesWitness

NaturesWitness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry was editing my comment when you posted.
    -notification ding-
    Oh you responded to my edit while I was typing a response to your post about the edit in the first post.

Ow. My head hurts now.:nuruwink:

17. ManicRykker

Rofl whoops :rofl:

Hey. Are you using any mods that would remove the mech helmet override in mechs already?

As if a mod removes it first, that would cause an error like that. And if it is, it isn't particularly serious.

jonathonspy likes this.
  18. jonathonspy

i was using the vanilla penguin, and was on the starter planet in a pool of water

19. ManicRykker

Yeah... that's sorta the thing with Vanilla Penguins.

They don't have any of the attributes of the penguins in my mod (They're pretty much vanilla. The only things they do have, are the jumpsound and crouchsound)

It's for users that may not like the attributes I apply to other penguin races/prefer vanilla. Edit: I think I just forgot to add that detail their tooltip on the character creation menu.... whoops... lol

jonathonspy likes this.
  20. zecon125

zecon125 Big Damn Hero

Is it possible to find "generic teleport" in the files of the mod itself? I want to use that but not anything else featured in the mod.