Planet Map / Minimap?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Straume21, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Yeah, I want it really bad too. It's the only thing that's keeping me from really enjoying the game right now. Because I'd really like to fully explore planets, and it's hard to keep track of where you've been.

2. tornar

tornar Void-Bound Voyager

I think that Dev's should to say anything about this feature....are you planning to release anything related to this in next update? Its a very important feature. At the moment Im not playing Starbound because I have played to Terraria a lot of months and now I cant play Starbound without a minimap, because it look like a totally alpha game.

3. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

Technically, it should be classified as an Alpha because while the Beta stage is for stamping out any bugs and problems that one might occur, the Alpha stage is for developing the game and creating it to its completion.

I just searched "Starbound map" up to see if there are any mods for it, because I often find settlements and human mines far into the sides of a planet, and I want to know whether it would be faster to get to it by walking in one direction rather than the other. Seemingly, there is no mod that features a map of any sorts, but I strongly think it will be added into S.A.I.L or as some sort of sidebar button eventually. The last time the devs added a bunch of stuff they had gone silent for 8 days. 5 days have passed since they last said anything so don't get your hopes up, it might be coming very soon!

4. neon_xeon

neon_xeon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Agreed with minimap hell even only a full map of planets would be good.oh and a lil offtopic but are the planets in current version infinite world?

5. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

it would be fun if you had to craft a map device, like an ipad that show the terrain hologram, then it would show the map of the area you already explored.

BurgerBum likes this.
  6. BurgerBum

BurgerBum Void-Bound Voyager

i imagine it fitting somewhere on screen when you press tab. (I for most people but my 2400+ skyrim hours makes it impossible for inventory to not be tab x'D )
    having it onscreen 100% of the time i think would be a little bit too much of a gift, as eventually people would ask for enemy tracking and radar and yaddah yaddah, eliminationg the requirement of being aware of your surroundings; something i think all games NEED.

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  7. sma

sma Subatomic Cosmonaut

since there are so many worlds and so much digging i would love to see a map. something similar to the terraria worldview. it was essential in terraria and starbound is so much bigger, it would be really useful.

BurgerBum likes this.
  8. KridOCaign

KridOCaign Void-Bound Voyager

I'd be fine with it being a tool we have to use to see the map.
    I'd be fine with it costing 25 teleporter cores and 500 of each end-game material in order to preserve balance.
    I'd outright expect it to lock up the game for 2-5 minutes the first time it's used on a planet.

I just really, REALLY want to be able to see a map of an entire planet at once.

BurgerBum likes this.
  9. Rekl

Rekl Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with it functioning the same way they do in Terraria. There really should be some form of this added.

10. Firelegs101

Firelegs101 Void-Bound Voyager

MINIMAP PLEASE AND THANK YOU

11. nanox215

nanox215 Void-Bound Voyager

does anyone knows any link for this minimap?

12. toby109tt

toby109tt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Amazing but everything should be black and only the stuff youv explored should be visible[DOUBLEPOST=1446588198][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Me too :'(

13. coolcreeper1142

coolcreeper1142 Void-Bound Voyager

YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Game Would be so much more fun!

14. zapeterset

zapeterset Space Hobo

15. lee_terry_jr

lee_terry_jr Void-Bound Voyager

There is no map/minimap and as far as I know there are no mods to add one. This thread is a request which was made obvious by the fact that there is a question mark in the thread title at the end thus implying that they were asking for map/minimap. Furthermore the previous comments left no question about the fact that there is no mod or anything to add it in game atm and had you bothered to read some of the previous comments you would have known this (not being mean simply making an observation). Anyway I would love a map as well but even if the creators do not add 1 to vanilla like I hope they do I expect that a mod will be released that adds 1 sooner or later.

16. Sciencefreak

Sciencefreak Master Chief

2k17, and still no map or minimap.
    Sad things.
    Please. devs, so many people will be really happy for this feature.

MelOzone likes this.
  17. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

It's actually the only thing keeping me from playing. I keep checking dev blogs in hopes of getting good news.

18. Dednsyde

Dednsyde Space Hobo

I came to the thread from google... I too would like a map.

19. salv

salv Space Hobo

I like that idea a lot

20. xxRenvarxx

xxRenvarxx Space Hobo