Race Playable protean assimilating race (ala Borg, Zerg, or Tyranids): Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Mar 30, 2015.

?

What do you think of this idea? (Please explain your reasoning in the comments section.)

1. ALL HAIL THE SWARM!!! (A must-play race!)

71.4%
  2. Would be interesting to see in-game, though I'm unsure about wanting to play as one.

21.4%
  3. I'm uncertain if they should appear as a playable race...

7.1%
  4. I don't think they'd work out as a playable race. (Too unbalanced or universally-despised?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. HECK NO!!! (Do you think they'd be a Mary Sue race?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I've been personally thinking about wanting to create a race like this, with my own spin to make it more interesting and enjoyable, both to play as, and to encounter in-game. However, these kinds of races typically have traits that seem to make them universally despised, such as:
    1. An impulsive desire to assimilate and/or exterminate any species or race they come in contact with, especially forcefully.
    2. Extremely centralized and hierarchial, with specialized units or castes for narrowly-defined roles (such as various types of workers, warriors, researchers, administrators, the queen, etc.), making them brutally-efficient, but also vulnerable to massive setbacks when their chain of command is disrupted (such as disrupting communications and/or killing the hive's queen).
    3. Tend to lack free will, except for one, or a small handful of, individual(s) (if they exist at all), whom control the rest of the race with an iron will (such as the Zerg Overmind, or the Borg Queen).
    4. Extremely aggressive expansionism.
    5. Tend to be physically and/or technologically unrivaled by most other races due to having already conquered quite a few, and/or due to developing at an alarmingly-fast rate, possibly making them near-omnipotent.
    6. Disregards diplomacy with other races, perhaps due to delusions of superiority, manifest destiny, and/or seeing it as irrelevant or a waste of resources?
    7. Doesn't care about the preservation of species, cultures, races, or entire biospheres or ecosystems.
    8. Brutally-efficient and methodological at conquering/assimilating/exterminating other races, even if it means wantonly and unrestrainedly using weapons that are universally considered heinous to use, such as planet or star-destroying weapons of mass destruction, bioweapons, grey goo, etc.
    9. Might only be capable of increasing their numbers through the assimilation of others (like zombies, vampires, or the Borg).
    For my custom race, I've been thinking about wanting to deviate from this mold, such as:
    1. Presenting them as desiring peaceful coexistence or assimilation of other races (and thus, showing at least some restraint when fighting against all but their most hated enemies).
    2. Being thoughtful environmentalists as they expand their sphere of influence.
    3. Being refugees fleeing from a stronger, more paranoid and xenophobic race.
    4. Having a relatively-large amount of free-willed members of the race, many of whom could control a limited amount of mindless workers and/or warriors.
    5. Lacking in organization or cohesion among the various queens, resulting in some colonies being led by unscrupulous and/or psychopathic queens that could do lots of damage to all who oppose her, including other colonies.
    6. Generally being as naive as children, even among the more free-willed members of the race (except for queens).
    7. Individually being physically weak and generalized, but highly flexible and adaptable.
    I'd still like to:
    1. Give them the ability to assimilate technology or genetic traits from other races and/or species.
    2. Make them as highly-industrious as the Glitch (if not more so).
    3. Possibly give them a living planet as their supreme ruler.
    4. Make them highly expansionistic, though probably unwilling to invade other planets claimed by other races (unless perhaps if the other race was in conflict with them), or even planets with a natural biosphere present, since their expansionism could be driven by survival against being pursued and hunted by another race.
    5. Make other races suspicious of this race's seemingly-harmless motives due to common stigmatization and stereotyping against hive-minded, protean, assimilating races in general (similar to how the other races tended to initially underestimate the Florans' aggressiveness, believing them to be peace-loving environmentalists).

What about you guys? Would you want to see, or play as, such a race? Do you have your own ideas for one?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

It's spelled "protien". I do like the concept though, maybe something like the cybermen or, indeed, peacelfull Borg... (Never expected to say those two words together...) I'm not sure how well this would fit into the main game, but it would be really cool as a mod NPC race.

3. Shadow Wolf TJC

No, it's spelled "protean" alright. You may be confusing it with the similar-sounding word "protein", which you may find in abundance on meat products and nuts.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

As a common enemy randomly found on planets and maybe eventually space, sure. But I don't think the game is in need of yet another playable race. Mods can do that at this point.

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

As long as "Zerg rushing" is a thing for this race.

Another example is the Replicators from the Stargate series.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  6. Jareix Cryvix

Ah... Thank you. I honestly did not know that was a word... I feel really dumb now...:facepalm:

7. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Is there a possibility of it being flood like? Caus if so, I'm all for it

8. Jareix Cryvix

how about borg+cybermen+flood+zerg(+daleks? o_O)

9. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

Yes,Yes, YES,even though I only know about 3(4)of those, but still sounds awesome:DD

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Star trek, Dr Who, Halo, StarCraft (Dr Who)

11. Shadow Wolf TJC

Perhaps, although for the race that I'm personally designing, such an ability wouldn't be necessary for reproduction, but could still serve as a tool for psychological warfare, much like how the Zerg Infestors use a Neural Parasite to take control of enemy units.

Omega_Flowely likes this.
  12. Omega_Flowely

Omega_Flowely Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In Starbound it would be a cool race. It looked cool would probably have Zerg swarm under control.
    =============================================
    Armor would look like Zerg units (zerlinh, Cockroach, hidralisk Queen).
    A ship evolution from Overlord to Leviathan.
    Team: Army swarm.
    But questions about the weapon: acid, toxic spines and so on ...
    =============================================
    But I see that the issue has not yet been developed further, really abandoned this idea?

13. Shadow Wolf TJC

Not abandoned. Just put on the sidelines, while I work on developing other mods.

xaliber and Omega_Flowely like this.
  14. Darkcraft8

Darkcraft8 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. it sound like THE THING