1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] What do you think about the recent fix for Space Station?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by GreenShades, Jun 19, 2017.

?

How do you think about the recent fix for Space Station?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2017.
  1. Great! Now my friends can't troll and remove the door so I can't build with Modular Rooms!

3.4%
  2. They fixed the bug so I won't destroy the doors by accident anymore, good fix.

3.4%
  3. Eh, I liked the mix between them.

27.6%
  4. I mainly build with Modular rooms, but I don't like how it looks without able to place extra blocks.

17.2%
  5. They broken my custom space station! I only build with blocks!

48.3%
  1. GreenShades

GreenShades Space Hobo

• Fix a bug allowing placement of blocks on some outside walls of player stations
    This is the fix that mainly prevents accidental removal of space station doors, while it gets the job done, they disallow the ability to create custom space station without using Modular Rooms.

I personally don't like the change, even though I know where is this coming from because of trolls and mistakes. But I want to see how much people are like me, who likes creating custom space station, or my friend, who like using Modular Rooms for her space station.

And I want to talk about how both kinds of space station can co-exist with a little bit more work by Chucklefish.

Solution 1:
    Keep the fix, make Modular doors able to be removed only if the owner wants.

They can make that Modular door can be removed or replaced if the owner/admins of the station wanted so, this allows the combination of the 2 kinds of station.
    Simple and easy fix, and flavors both parties.

Solution 2:
    Allows owner to toggle the fix.
    In the same menu of gravity control, let owners/admins to toggle the placement of blocks outside the area, this allows Modular Stations stay "modular", and Custom Stations stay "custom"
    Simpler fix, would not clash both parties.

Solution 3:
    Combination of 1 and 2.
    Would require time to fix, but best for everyone.

Edit: I am fully aware of the typo on the poll and I'm sincerely sorry about that. And thanks to the moderator who fixed the double post.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Dragon_Tom005 and Blevruz like this.
  2. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Seems to me all they need to do for an ideal solution is revert the tile protection and stop the door from being destroyed if you build by it, but instead add some less weird, more intentional way remove it. e.g. a new option on the expansion dialog.

3. GreenShades

GreenShades Space Hobo

For me it seems that chucklefish rushed the fix and missed the potential of custom stations. If they are aware of people who do only build custom stations they might consider our ideas and solutions.

4. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I'd like to think so, but although I'm a relatively new player I get the impression they don't have a real good history with that. It's seems like almost an adversarial relationship. As if when people play the game differently than expected, they see that as a problem, not an opportunity.

5. Storm01

Storm01 Seal Broken

I'm Going to refrain from playing until they resolve this issue. If that time is never, so be it!

RancorSnp likes this.
  6. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a little sad since I had some projects using this under construction. Two minor stations weren't truly finished but were in an alright place, but my main/hub station is stuck as a huge construction site because I cannot place additional blocks. Tile protection is admin disabled sure, can break placed blocks, but can't place any more outside and now it's sort of an eternal WIP/construction zone...

The build was going along nicely otherwise, is there any way to "fix" this so I can continue my project? The blue block protection is gone but the red "Can't place blocks here" is preventing further progress even in areas I was previously working on. Any sort of commands? Normally commands kill fun in most sandbox style games but here they feel necessary to build anything completely out of your imagination. I'd really like to see things less reliant on commands though in the future, more things in the 3d printer, "Station types" (Modular, Custom/Blueprint)

Building is sort of my main joy of playing, exploration is great but needs more biomes to be less repetitive. I don't know I'm getting off topic here, main thing, does anyone know how to fix the issue preventing my station's completion, and how I may resolve it?

7. GreenShades

GreenShades Space Hobo

The temporary fix we have right now is to turn on admin mode and disable block protection. The command goes like this:

/admin

/settileprotection 0 false

/admin

8. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I had done this already sadly. Block protection is off, I can break blocks, I just can't place any new ones as of the fix.

9. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This just works for the original station area. What you need to do is described here.
    Hope this helps. ;)

Storm01 likes this.
  10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

what owner? since Koala we told CF we want some game native administration features and nothign was done, the game just knows "a space station" there is no special rights about spaceship or station ownership. Funnily the ship is even playerbound yet not even this they have done in all that time. One of the biggest issues with the game and it's multiplayer features. And mostly the reaosn why I avoid any servers without protection features.

11. Storm01

Storm01 Seal Broken

Bumping this to highlight it. Click "described here" and follow that link. Their advice is fantastic. I'll make a dedicated link thread soon if none object.

12. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haven't started bulding a station yet, but from what I've heard about station building...

It would be nice if
    • the modular rooms could accept block type for inner wall, outer wall and background upon being constructed
    • you're restricted to modular rooms as long as the station is 'under construction'
    • you could add, remove and move modular rooms while in this mode (also change material used)
    • you could set the station to finished, which prevents further placement of modular rooms but allows placement of arbitrary blocks.
    So, you'd still have to carefully plan the basic structure, but after that, you could go nuts.

If we could craft, place and wire generators, (partial) tile protection would not be a problem - just unpower gens in the section you're working on.