Quick Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charity322, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi

I'm a newbie to the game and I couldn't find a FAQ or anything that might have the answers.

I've become totally addicted to this game and I want to try adding a couple of mods, but I can't find two things.

How do I find my Stardew Valley mods folder? And if I have to create it, where is SDV installed; I cannot find it? I'm running the game under Steam.

How do I tell what version of SDV I have?

Thanks for any help!

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

To find your game on Steam go to your Steam library, right click on your game, properties, browse local files and it will direct you to where its installed. As of yet SDV does NOT "support" mods in a manner like SB does, whereas SB has its own folder to install mods, in SDV you have to REPLACE assets in order to get mods into the game, this works for mods like aesthetics and eye candy. If your intention is to use mods that alter how the game works you ll have to use a 3rd party modding tool like SMAPI or the like, they are here in these forums and have gone through much development, they are safe to use (so long you are responsible about modding and learn how to properly use them) and you BACK UP EVERYTHING you want to mod... like your save games, and data folder... (just the SDV data folder).

I reiterate, if all you want to use are aesthetic mods (replacing assets with prettier or different kind of sprites) then all you have to do is find whatever mod suits your fancy, take a good read to what its REPLACING, and back up the folder it touches BEFORE you start using said mod.

edit: about your SDV version, since you are using Steam... you should be using the latest version as Steam automatically updates games for you. You can also find out by checking out the properties using right click, or running the game and looking at the version its running.

• Charity322

Thanks!

I was trying to figure out my game version for SMAPI. Doesn't show up under properties though. I'm going to presume that I don't have the 1.2 beta as I haven't opted into betas on Steam. I wanted to fix the broken mood of chickens as it was driving me nuts.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I would suggest just using the Cosmetic Mods. Some of the mods that change how the game works either break the game or take all the fun right out of the game

• Smallcorners

Smallcorners Subatomic Cosmonaut

• Charity322

I know. I went there first.

The only game changing mod I was looking at was the chickens don't care if you stay up late one. Because why would your chickens care what time you go to bed?

• Smallcorners

Smallcorners Subatomic Cosmonaut

There are several posts there on how to mod, and several very clever modders that are willing to help. Also, I believe there a connection to Nexus, and another modding thread set.

Personally, I rarely ever check my animal's moods, unless it is by accident!

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Speaking of animal mods, I installed a mod called AnimalSitter which basically has someone collect your animals products and pet them automatically by pressing O. To make it not-so-cheaty, I made it charge 15g for every job it does for me. I set Shane to be the sitter, so now he's making money. The mod even comes with dialogue for the animal sitters. It's pretty incredible, I recommend.

• Charity322

Ok, I'm on year 2 and about the third day of Spring I got one of those earthquake in the night notifications, but I can't find anything changed. Does anyone know what happened?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Year two? The only earthquake is supposed to happen during year one (the one that opens up the railway station/spa area). Are you sure you don't mean an /explosion/ in the night message? If so, look around your farm for a big purple meteor.

• Charity322

It may have been an explosion! I just remember a disturbance in the night. I'll have a look around, thanks.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Incidentally, as the game progresses, more of those meteors may drop. It's randomized.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Are we /sure/ that it's random? :poke:

SheepSaysBaah and Charity322 like this.
                          • Charity322

Do your animals eat your crops if given the opportunity? I've had some crops just mysteriously vanishing or dying and my animals do wander through my garden. I've never caught them at it though.

• Lordvan526

Lordvan526 Aquatic Astronaut

Missing crops are usually from crows (it can be easy to overestimate the coverage of a scarecrow). Dead plants are usually because of lightning.

• Charity322

Ah, I didn't know lightning did that, thanks.

Now I have another question. :rofl: Is it reasonable to be able to supply all your hay from cutting grass or are you really doomed to eventually buy it all off Marnie? My grass isn't growing fast enough now I have a lot of animals.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Livestock does not eat crops. The only thing livestock will eat is grass or hay from the feeder. (Which is disappointing to me, I'd like to be able to feed the horse cave carrots and apples, but that is another topic all together.) Missing crops can be attributed to crows, lightning strikes, and sometimes not watering. (I believe that while you can miss watering a spot and it usually simply slows development for that planting, sometimes it will decide to let that neglected plant whither and die.) It is also remotely possible you are accidentally crushing them with tools, the pick or axe can smash a crop with an ill-timed swing and you might not even notice. There /has/ been a reported glitch-- I have encountered it myself on rare occasions-- where a planting will simply vanish. This is not common (I've seen it perhaps twice, maybe three times, in hundreds of hours of play.) and no one has offered any explanation aside from, 'it's just a bug in the game'.

It is, but you'll need to cultivate the grass with plantings and give it a chance to spread. A good-sized patch of grass is going to renew quite fast, but only once it gets to a size where it's out-pacing the animals nibbling on it. Incidentally, a cheaper solution than 'lots of silos' is to build /one/ silo and use a chest to hold /nearly unlimited hay/ to replenish it with. A single silo only holds 240 units of hay. A single chest can hold /thousands/.

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

A new player mistake when it comes to growing grass is a lot of folks start setting down their grass stuff all together to try to make it look like a tiny field. When really the better approach is to drop one grass thing here, and then another there and keep them scattered and not touching one another. Because grass basically grows in the sense that everyday there is a chance that another grass will grow into one of the adjacent squares next to it. So if you lay down all your grass next to one another...it is only going to expand from the outside area since all the middle parts are filled in.

But yeah, with the more animals you get, there is a chance you eventually will end up consuming more hay than making it. Which means either having to adjust your farm to allow for more grass fields or accepting the Marnie business fate.

• Charity322

The area near the wizard's tower where they have the spring dance; is that ever accessible any other time? It looks like it needs a bridge repair, but if it does then I haven't been able to find out how to do it.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Sadly, it is not. The only time they ever set that bridge up is for the Flower Dance. Kind of a pity, it would be nice to go out there and pick flowers or something at other times of the year.

Charity322 likes this.