Quick Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charity322, Mar 28, 2017.

1. sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder if you somehow hacked your game to get across the bridge the patch of land would still be there?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I doubt it! When they block areas off with the 'festival is being set up, come back later' message, it's because you are actually warped to an entirely separate mini-map area for that festival. CA doesn't redecorate the town square or the beach, he actually has small duplicate maps specific to that festival. There may not actually /be/ a Flower Dance field anyplace on the regular valley map-- it might only exist during that festival. But, who knows? CA's programming is somewhat Byzantine and it's possible the area was planned for a regular map addition that got repurposed. Without warp-editing, one cannot be sure!

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you need some kind of skill to use the preserves barrel? No matter what fruit I put in there I can't get jam. All I get is some sort of weird jelly.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

You only need a certain skill to get the blueprint. Fruits produce jelly in jars and wine in kegs. Vegetables produce pickle in jars and juice in kegs. Jars roughly double the value of a crop while kegs tripple it. This e.g. leads to highly expensive pumpkin juice.

The preserves jar's wiki article:
          http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Preserves_Jar

The keg's wiki article:
          http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Keg

• Charity322

That's weird. How do fruits produce jelly without being set in the fridge.

• Jerev

How can pigs find truffles everywhere? Or how can rabbits leave more than four feet?
              To some questions I don't want to hear the answer. ;)

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I'm pretty sure it's just that Americans use the word jelly even when they mean jam.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

No. We do not. CA is just being silly again. :p

Pectin. A naturally occurring polysaccharide that combines with sugars under heat to thicken preserves and jams. Jelly in this context is not 'gelatin'.

Prices are up all over Hogsmeade Village! It's scandalous!

LadySurly, Borodin and Jerev like this.
                  • Smallcorners

Smallcorners Subatomic Cosmonaut

The answer to all mysteries in any game anywhere is "Game Logic".

Borodin likes this.
                    • Charity322

Well to me this is jelly.
                      2E4FB66700000578-0-image-a-1_1447281902709.jpg

And this is jam.
                      images.jpg

sunlite likes this.
                      • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I've always thought jelly and jam were interchangeable terms for what you consider jam, lol.

I consider what you think of jelly as a gelatin dessert, but I may be in the minority there.

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

For what it's worth I have a very similar view, sunlite! That top image is totally a gelatin dessert to me.

Here's something I found online comparing jelly and jam, which matches my understanding of the two terms. So I suppose preserves might be the most accurate term here?

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

I don't know who's in the majority, but I do know that there are a lot of people who share your view. That's why I said this:
                            Maybe it's just particular regions or cultures in America...

• swdtadpole

swdtadpole Space Spelunker

In Britain, people call gelatin jelly. In America, it's either call gelatin, gel, or Jello (after the major producer of it.)

However, Americans do NOT actually use jelly and jam interchangeably.

To most Americans:

Jelly means a preserved spread without any remaining fruit tidbits in it. Sometimes it's made from just the juice of a fruit, sometimes the fruit bits (pulp, seeds, etc.) are strained out. Apple is almost always considered a jelly.

Jams are preserved spreads that contain parts of the original fruit in addition to the juices. Raspberry spread is almost always considered a jam as it rarely comes without seeds or the remainder of it.

Marmalades are jams that have rind in them - so mostly just the citrus fruits.

Butters (as in fruit butters) are spreads that have finely ground fruit in them, that are not solid enough to be a jam. Apple butter, the most common fruit butter in the USA, is stuck in a state that's somewhere between apple sauce and a jam.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

If this conversation has accomplished anything, it's managed to make me hungry.

I believe I will go and spread some variety of sugar-preserved fruit pulp on toast.

Borodin and Charity322 like this.
                                • Charity322

Well I learned something. I'd never even heard of fruit butter before.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

My wife and her family are definitely fans of pumpkin butter. As I don't eat butter, I can't speak to its inherent moral, aesthetic, or gastric qualities, one way or the other.

• Charity322

I've got the full furniture catalogue now and I can't find a writing desk anywhere in it or a computer. Can you get them elsewhere or are you not allowed them? I've seen others with them. Elliott has a writing desk and Sebastian has a computer.

• Jerev

As far as I know the items in the catalogue are all the items you could by from Robin or the travelling merchant. So I would say that you can't aquire those things without mods.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

This is correct. There is nothing in the furniture catalogue that does not already pop up as a random selection at Robin's or the Traveling Cart. Just because you see decorations in the homes of villagers does not mean they will be something available for you, the farmer, to buy-- CA hand designed all of the homes and businesses and most of the things in them are never anything you have access to without modding. That said, there are several very good furniture mods out there and perhaps one of those adds the items you are hoping to get.