1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Racial Perks 0.4

Add different perks to each race to make them play uniquely.

1. Alocer

Alocer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alocer submitted a new mod:

Racial Perks - Add different perks to each race to make them play uniquely.

Read more about this mod...

2. Alocer

I decided to start the mod after playing the Avali race and it felt out of place that their default jump animation shows their wings spread but they still drop like a rock. I started with FrackinRaces, but that didn't work for me because I also use MementoMori and those mods don't work with each other. I wanted to do something different from FrackinRaces anyways so I'm trying to come up with alternate ideas. That doesn't mean there can't or won't be some overlap though.

I wanted each race to show a status icon to display their perks during gameplay, but I'm not an artist. My solution was to point to each race's flag icon. I chose that for three reasons: (1) a flag is basically mandatory to each race so they'll all have one, (2) I can point to existing resources and won't have to ask for asset permissions, (3) I'm not the worst artist, but I'm pretty bad and it takes me forever to make anything.

Only a few different races are done for the initial release, Human (no perks), Avali, and Felins/Neko.

jonathonspy likes this.
  3. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Just poking my beak in here to say: be sure to use unique names for the status effects for each race. If multiple mods are installed and they try to apply two status effects with the same name, the game freaks out and may not boot up properly.

Looks good so far, though! It's fun to see how people interpret different species and their unique abilities. ' w'

jonathonspy likes this.
  4. Alocer

Great point, I'm glad you mentioned it. I've only looked at a few different modded races so far, but I've chosen a naming scheme I haven't seen yet: '<racename>perks'. If I come across a race that does use this status effect then I'll probably be able to work around it if necessary.

5. khaotil

khaotil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great idea!

Do you want some ideas from the community for the vanilla races? ^^

6. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

hmm...
    Vespid race also having gliding? maybe a way to climb up walls, maybe flying, with each jump/flight part, uses a lot of hunger?
    also the Orcana, Munari, Sallok, And Argonian should have something to do with water as well...{is there a way to have the Sallok and Argonian have bonuses with swamp water?)
    also, what happens if this mod is uninstalled?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. darkus32

darkus32 Big Damn Hero

Are you going to include nightar race ?

8. Minkah

Minkah Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe for Floran that they regenerate in sunlight and that they can eat raw food and get perks from that

9. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Rant time!

Open this spoiler and see lots of suggestions for every race. Note that I always aim a bit too high, so it's ok if you can't actually do all that or if you don't want)

Apex
    +Can jump slightly higher and run faster
    +Minor damage bonus
    +Minor hp bonus
    +Omnivore: can eat pretty much anything
    -Slightly less lung capacity
    -Slight weakness to fire weapons/fire-based status
    -Slightly slower when wet

Avali
    +Gliding (Fall slower [but you'll fall a bit faster if your hands aren't empty], which also nullifies fall damage due to fall speed)
    +Cold/Ice Immunity (Immune to effects from cold biomes and ice attacks)
    +20% Base Health
    -20% Energy Regen Block Time
    -Weakness to fire attacks and fire-based status.

Avian
    +Can jump significantly higher less falling speed/falling damage due to light body.
    +Can eat seeds.
    +Bonus hunger regen when eating seeds
    -Health penalty due to fragile bones
    -significantly slower when wet.

Felin/Neko
    +Night Vision (Extra light distance based on the direction you're facing)
    +Slightly faster running Speed
    +Eating fish or meat provides greater hunger regen
    +More Jump Height
    +Less fall damage
    -Slightly less lung capacity
    -Needs to feed often.
    -Eating plants provides a minimum hunger regen
    -Significantly slower underwater

Floran
    +Omnivore
    +Resists poison
    +Bonus damage when using hunting spears
    +Sunlight provides regeneration during the day and extra energy regen
    +Light sources provide energy regeneration
    +Water provides slight bonus energy regeneration
    +Meat provides slightly greater hunger regen
    -Eating plants provides less hunger regen.
    -Almost no lung capacity at all.
    -Significantly slower under water (even with equipment)
    -Slower on biomes with snow/deserts or other hostile environments.
    -Great weakness to fire.
    -Weakness to radiation

Glitch
    +Melee damage bonus
    +Doesn't breathe
    +Immune to poison
    +Immune to radiation
    +Health and defense bonus
    +Electricity provides energy regen
    +Doesn't eat.
    -No food bonuses.
    -Can't jump too high
    -Increased fall damage and falling speed
    -Slight weakness to electricity
    -Water slowly drains hp (rust) unless wearing equipment.
    -Can't swim without equipment. They WILL sink.

Greckan
    +Increased def and HP
    +Omnivore
    +Can't starve
    +Slightly Increased night vision.
    +Increased lung capacity
    +Increased Elemental and radiation resist
    +Increased energy regeneration
    +Can heal on Erchius
    +Can consume erchius as food for an almost complete hunger regeneration.
    -Decreased hunger bar regeneration except when consuming erchius.
    -Slightly lower speed
    -Slightly less regeneration
    -Slightly less jump height
    -Bad underwater, can barely swim
    (Current ideas: Some type of limited ore finder? Erchius bonus/malus?)

Human
    +Omnivore
    +Can regenerate VERY slightly overtime.
    +Extra initial energy.
    +Average at everything

Hylotl
    +Slight energy regeneration when wet
    +Increased speed when wet
    +Wet status lasts longer on them
    +Very fast underwater
    +Can stay underwater for a long time
    -Average-low jumping.
    -Not staying wet for a long time decreases energy very slightly
    -Fire weakness

Argonian/Lamia/Lizard race
    +Fast underwater
    +Good lung capacity
    +Wet slightly increases speed.
    +Increased base life regeneration
    +Resists fire damage
    +Resists poison damage well
    +Hunger regen bonus when eating meat
    +Light sources/Sunlight/High temperatures slightly increase energy regeneration.
    -Less hunger regen when eating vegetables
    -Significant weakness to cold
    -Easy to die in cold climates (temperature)

Novakid/Nebula
    +Novakid Glow
    +Doesn't breathe
    +-Energy regeneration based on hunger.
    +extra regeneration when sleeping on the sun/next to a light source (warm)
    +Fire damage actually regenerates HP (not bullets, explosions or lightning, though)
    +Lava heals hp.
    +radiation heals hp
    -Water damage is devastating
    -Unless properly equipped, water or any other non-fiery liquid significantly drains hp.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    xaliber and jonathonspy like this.
  10. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

since you stated that you used FrackinRaces before, do you know a way to remove that mod without destroying your characters?

11. Alocer

Absolutely, I'm open to all suggestions. I can't guarantee I'll agree or be able to implement the ideas though.

12. Alocer

For Vespoids I was thinking about increasing their jump height a decent amount, there's a stat modifier that kinda makes the player float upwards instead of just jumping higher. I think it's possible to tie it to hunger, the problem would be to balance it well enough so you don't just kill yourself immediately by having to dodge monsters or go exploring caves. But if they could climb everything anyways... I'll think about that one.

The water-based races similar to Hylotl I was going to give swim bonuses, but I think Sallok and Argonian are more land based reptiles so I'll try to do something different. I'm not sure if the game can determine water type, I'll look into it as the swamp theme could work well.

And last but not least, I just tested that if you remove the mod your characters should be fine, they just lose their perks. If anyone else finds otherwise, let me know and I'll try to fix it immediately.

jonathonspy and Relten like this.
  13. Alocer

Yes I want to eventually, if you have any ideas I'm open to hear them. I'd like to some day have perks for all of the modded races, but I'm going to start with vanilla ones. I only finished Avali first because I'm currently playing one, and Felin/Neko got done because I wanted to play around with my idea for night vision.

14. Alocer

Sunlight health regen seems pretty natural so I'll default to that if I don't have better ideas. I do like your idea about eating raw food but I'm not sure how feasible it would be, I'll definitely look into it though.

15. Alocer

Thanks for the extensive input! I saw a bunch of neat ideas in there, my plan for this week is to start researching if some of them are possible. While basic modifiers to things like health and energy will have their place, I'm more interested in adding the unique abilities like gliding and night vision.

16. Alocer

I remember reading somewhere that the author used to keep a separate mod around that you had to temporarily install to revert your characters, but I don't think it was maintained. That author modifies characters by using lua scripts which may be why it has those problems, but I'm not entirely sure.

jonathonspy likes this.
  17. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Can you (eventually) add a compatibility patch for Argonian and Lamia races? They are pretty much the same so it would be like adding one more race.
    I'd gladly edit that myself, but I'm terrible for anything that involves coding. I'll be sure to give this mod 5 stars when more races are implemented. It's a really good idea.

18. khaotil

khaotil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks @Alocer ! ^^

Ok, so, here are my suggestions for the vanilla races (will do the modded races later, but I first need to carefully read their lore)
    I tried to keep in mind that any race should be totally balanced with the others, and since Humans are the "neutral ones", any race should have strengths that are exactly counter-balanced by their weaknesses.
    And also, I tried to think about what "roles" those perks would lead to for each race, without totally restraining from making any type of character with any race.
    Finally, I think it wouldn't be a good idea to stuff too much perks on every race; sometimes, simpler is better.

Apex:

(to me, Apex main particularity is the fact they devolved themselves in order to gain greater intelligence; Apex are really more a scientist or technician race, than warriors. And I don't think their "simian" features give them really any increased mobility)
    + increased effiency/duration of health items/stims
    + +10% "magic" damage/speed
    + increased base energy refill rate
    - -10% melee damage
    - decreased base health

Avian:
    (Had a hard time to figure anything for these ones. They can't fly, and they are a pretty light and fragile species (most of them...*stares at Tonauac* ), but they are fiercely guarding their temples...That pretty much covers it)
    + increased critical chances
    + increased jump height
    - increased shield reload time
    - 25% cold weakness

Floran:
    (a pure zealot race, associated with their pretty unique plant-nature; they're aimed to deal damage, in order to consume, again and again, relentlessly. I know they are masters in retro-enginering, but I can't find any perk that could match that :/)
    + increased health regen when wet
    + increased energy regen when sunlit
    + chances to regen health on kill
    + chances to temporary increase damage on kill
    + +10% melee damage
    - 50% fire weakness
    - -10% "magic" damage
    - decreased base energy
    - quicker hunger depletion

Glitch:
    (Obviously, due to their metallic nature, Glitch could be perfect as tanks, being the most resilient ones)
    + increased base health
    + increased base armor
    + 50% poison resistance
    + increased shield effiency/reduced shield reload time
    + slower hunger depletion
    - 50% electric weakness
    - decreased energy regen when wet
    - -10% ranged damage
    - reduced run speed
    - reduced jump height

Hylotl:
    (this is a race that values peace and beauty, so most of their perks shouldn't really be battle-oriented)
    + increased run speed when wet
    + increased energy regen when wet
    + increase followers/teammates stats
    - 25% electric weakness
    - decreased energy regen on hot/dry planets

Novakids:
    (our favorite space cowboys surely are great sharpshooters, and that's without mentionning they are basically made of pure energy. The drawback, is that they can't seem to stay focused on anything...)
    + +10% ranged damage
    + increased base energy
    + 50% fire resistance
    + Glow
    + slower hunger depletion
    - reduced critical chances
    - reduced health items/stims duration
    - chances of energy depletion on hit

Will try to do modded races asap (already got some ideas for Vieras and Nightars), and tweak what I already proposed if some things don't fit the races as much as I thought ^^

jonathonspy likes this.
  19. Alocer

Do you just mean you want Argonian and Lamia to have perks as well? If so I plan to add them to the base mod along with most modded races eventually, it's just a matter of time really. But if you mean something else, please elaborate. I hope I can live up to your 5 star expectations!

jonathonspy likes this.
  20. Alocer

You've got some nice ideas in there, thanks for sharing. For instance, I agree that Apex should be more science focused. No rush on your ideas though as I've got a lot of work cut out ahead of me.

sleepy123 likes this.