1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Rail Tram Call Can't Navigate Cross-Intersections

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Knight9910, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Okay, I'll try my best to explain this...

So, let's say I have rails set up in a pattern like this...

.......O
    .......||
    .......||
    O==O==O
    .......||
    .......||
    .......O

And my tram is here, where I put the X...

.......O
    .......||
    .......||
    O==O==X
    .......||
    .......||
    .......O

And so I hit the button to call the tram to the spot where I put the A...

.......A
    .......||
    .......||
    O==O==X
    .......||
    .......||
    .......O

Rather than going to the center, turning upward, and heading to the A, it will instead simply keep moving back and forth on the horizontal plain until I stop it.

I believe this is because of the way "calling" the tram works. It sets the calling point as "stop when you get here" and all points along the way as "pass through this"... but it doesn't have any way of actually telling it which way to go if there are multiple options, so instead it simply goes straight and bounces back and forth.

Could we get a fix for this, and/or a way to work around it?

2. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Metadept at one point said he would look into figuring out a way to fix it, but here's the solution I came up with:

First, install either Enhanced Rails, or if you'd prefer a more lighweight mod, my mod. You need these because the normal rail tram stops don't let you wire things directly above and below them. You can do something similar with a normal, non-tram-specific rail stop, but it's a bit more complicated, and I think it doesn't have all the functionality. Both those mods have rail tram stops with diagonally-placed wiring ports, letting you wire up systems properly.

Now, you place your diagonal rail tram stops normally. Then, you'll need rail switches, persistent switches and rail sensors. At your middle stop, you put the rail switches directly besides it. 10 blocks further away from the rail switches, you put rail sensors (so make sure there are 9 blocks between them). You put the persistent switches somewhere, it doesn't matter where exactly, but you'll be using one persistent switch for each direction. The output of each persistent switch should be attached to the corresponding direction's rail switch, and its set (the upper input) should be attached to all buttons for rail trams in that direction of the network. You should also hook up the buttons for each direction to the reset (lower input) of the persistent switches of all other directions. You hook up each direction's rail sensor to the reset of the persistent switch of that side (this is optional but helps prevent issues as far as I can tell) and to the rail switch of that direction. Net result: persistent switch/button system opens a direction for access when you want a tram to go that way, and rail sensors open a direction for access when a rail tram is approaching from that direction.