1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Saves crash on startup; something about missing Texture?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fabledtongues, Apr 25, 2017.

1. fabledtongues

fabledtongues Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I downloaded a lot of mods when I first started Stardew Valley, and I haven't played since the new version came out. As a result, my tons of mods broke my game. I did a clean install, deleted my mods, and deleted SMAPI.

My saves will not load at all. When I click on them, they go to a black screen and the game crashes. But when I start a new game, it works fine. Here is the error log.

I'm getting extremely frustrated trying to fix this.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Could you upload your affected saves. I can take a closer look on my end.

• Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Foreign forum section... scary... :nurushock:

I had that one too. For me the solution worked by editing the savegame and set the ZoomLevel back to 1.0
        Somehow it causes some problems with the old saves of prior 1.2(it is?)
        Hope it helps.

~ Iris ~

• Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

For a moment I thought you were talking about the no texture texture, and I was like, "you poor soul!"

• fabledtongues

fabledtongues Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do I upload the saves on here?

• MysticTempest

Just zip up the folder.

• Daisy9946

Daisy9946 Space Hobo

Same issue, 4 times ive started a new game and crashed. Try to re enter game and black screen. disappointing. Were these things not tested before releasing?

• cwojtas

cwojtas Aquatic Astronaut

I'm having the exact same issue tonight. Here is my error log:

Object name: 'Texture2D'.
                  InnerException:
                  Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.CheckDisposed(Object obj, IntPtr pComPtr)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.TextureCollection.set_Item(Int32 index, Texture value)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.End()
                  at StardewValley.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
                  at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
                  at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)
                  I've also attached my save file. I *THINK* it might be because I was using GetDressed, and am wearing pants that no longer exist, but because I can't get it to load even with SMAPI and the mod loaded, there is no way for me to change this. Any help would be much appreciated. I'd really appreciate not having to start over on a 100+ hour file. Bleh.

Attached Files:

• cwojtas

So upon doing some googlefu, I found this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/405694115217636295/

It suggested turning off your fullscreen in the system preferences file in %appdata%. I did this so that it starts windowed, and it...worked. So perhaps try doing that? I'd be interested to know why this works though. Another thread suggested that perhaps the XNA framework is out of date. I didn't try that, but you can find it here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/343787920121927699/

MysticTempest likes this.
                    • MysticTempest

@cwojtas Thanks for the error log, and save file. Also, nice work on finding a fix to your issue!

I play on Linux, and I've been testing out your savefile on my system in various ways. It hasn't caused any issues for me yet. I even made sure to set the startup preferences both ways; start windowed on one go, and then start fullscreen on the other.

So, it might be a Windows only bug. And, as you alluded to; probably related to the XNA framework.

• cwojtas

@MysticTempest Thanks for testing it for me! I spent ALL night trying to replace .xnb files that I had switched out, uninstalling/reinstalling SMAPI, then the game. I thought all was lost!

Annnd then promptly felt ridiculous once I figured out that it seems to be some sort of windowed/fullscreen/XNA issue. I haven't tried updating XNA stuff at all, because before last night I'd honestly never heard of it, but I'll probably try over the weekend and switch back to fullscreen and see what happens. *shrug*