1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Seem to be having problems with Linux version since 1.30

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shanewater, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Shanewater

Shanewater Space Hobo

Hello there, I've been enjoying Risk of Rain a load lately, but ever since patch 1.30 I've noticed the game crashing with way more regularity.
    I originally posted something on the risk of rain subreddit about crashes and it seems like there's a few people who have noticed this since the update.
    I keep getting crashes relating to draw events like so
    [​IMG]
    (image one crash has happened multiple times)
    [​IMG]
    Like I've been trying to troubleshoot it for a little bit, but it's not like I can just install the XNA framework on Linux which would normally fix the Windows version. I'm wondering if there's something simple I'm doing wrong or if something rogue has slipped through with the update. I'd like to point out that the previous patch seemed to work completely fine, it's just now that there seems to be a problem. For the record I'm on Debian Stable and using the Steam version of the game.

• 42penguins

42penguins Space Hobo

I made an account to say that I have the same frustrating problem.

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and also experience this issue.
      Does anyone know if the devs are working on this? Has it been reported? If not, where does one go?

• vithos

vithos Space Hobo

Indeed, the game is unbearably buggy on Linux. After a while I started screenshotting every error and freeze: https://imgur.com/a/aHDRw
        I've lost unlocks so many times now it's just not worth playing anymore. Happens in online co-op as well as single player.

• VintageKings

VintageKings Space Hobo

Same issue here. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes an hour in to the run. It's incredibly annoying, and kills 4/5 of my runs.

• fisadev

fisadev Space Hobo

Hi! I'm having the same issue, after some random time playing, the game completely freezes, just the music keeps playing while all the rest remains still. No error message, and the game doesn't close. The image freezes and it doesn't answer to any controls, all other sounds except for the music stop too.

I've googled a lot, and only found one person with the same problem in this post, which is the last of that thread, and has no answers. And also tried with every single setting value, and no matter what values they have, the problem keeps happening.

Sometimes it happens as quick as 5 minutes into the game. Others, as late as 76 minutes into the game. And to make things worse, when the game freezes I have to kill it, and all progress from that run is lost. You can imagine how frustrating is to lose achievements, unlocks, logs, etc from a 76 minute game.

I'm playing the game under Ubuntu 16.04, using a Nvidia GTX765M, with the nvidia drivers version 361.

• fisadev

fisadev Space Hobo

I think I discovered the source of the problem! The Spikestrip item. I started taking screenshots each time the game froze, and two things were always present:
              - I was receiving damage.
              - Spikestrip was one of the two last items I had acquired.
              The definitive proof came after I was already suspecting this. In a run I found Spikestrip as the first item. Got it, and went straight to an enemy to receive damage. First hit: bam! game froze.
              I also had some screenshots from good runs without crashes, and guess what? yes, no Spikestrip, hehe.
              The screenshots from the crashes: http://imgur.com/a/2jsfx
              Where should I report this?

• spike2

spike2 Space Hobo

fisadev seems to be correct, I can also produce this with the Spikestrip item and then receiving damage, as you can see in the screenshot. I think, that this is a regression and only happened in 1.3.0.
                [​IMG]