Building/Ship Show off your house :D

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by TheVulcanKId, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

2. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]
    Just a small part of the Utopia I'm currently building. There's too much to screenshot easily, especially since Starbound's screenshots are bugged to be in the past...

3. ODST 4900

ODST 4900 Pangalactic Porcupine

How's the sound from that many windchimes?

4. Flannel

Not too bad, actually. I expected it to be annoying (i stopped listening to music like 40 minutes after i built this part and unmuted starbound) but it's actually not too bad.

ODST 4900 likes this.
  5. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Before Scriptum : i could take some advices for some decorations.

20170311131230_1.jpg
    ^ my current HQ ^

20170311131247_1.jpg
    ^ at the right of my HQ ^

20170311131330_1.jpg
    ^ a small garage at the left of my HQ ^

20170311131340_1.jpg
    ^ a currently empty guard post at the left of the small garage ^

TheFloranChef likes this.
  6. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Make rooms with different purposes and fill them with decorations that fit, is the best advice I can give you!
    [​IMG]
    (Note that this is a utilitarian exploration cruiser, and I have a certain style in my ship builds.)
    As you can see, each room has it's purpose and has decorations to fit.
    Maintenance rooms (the ones with the metal tile backgrounds) are utilitarian and have decorations that help keep the ship running (except for the arcade machine obviously), while general areas have much nicer looking walls and have furniture to fit their purpose (The open room, and the bedroom)
    Last of all, the medbay looks very high tech and has everything a medic needs to examine and perform surgery, or even clone! (omg such technology!). The kitchen looks very clean and has tiled backgrounds, and the same counts for the bathroom. Last of all is a small Air/Security lock to the right.

I can't really explain very well, but it basically boils down to:
    - Think about the purpose of the room
    - Think about what you want to fit in the room
    - Design the rooms according to your idea, with the proper tiles to fit the room
    - Place in your decorations that fit the purpose of the room

At least, this is how I do it. Remember that species have their own design and culture. If you're making it for a Floran, the medbay being clean, tidy and bloodless is the very last it should be. :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I suppose I could tack on a couple of extras as well, mainly related to structure rather than decoration though.

- Think about how people would actually get around the building, having to jump around everywhere inside your own house isn't exactly normal.
    - Support structure. Keep gravity in mind when building, a house over an abyss might look pretty cool after all but it still looks a bit off when you can't figure out why it's still above the abyss and not in a wreck at the bottom.

ODST 4900 likes this.
  8. Flannel

At some point, I'll record (because Starbound's screenshots are uber buggy) a complete walkthrough of my current building project (which includes the bridge i linked a while ago) so that I can show it off here!

9. Pohany

10. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Wouldn't be able to tell me where the corrugated metal blocks come from, could you? I love these sort of cobbled together scrap houses.
    I should really get back to Starbound but I've been playing Terraria as of late, s--
    *Executed for treason*

KingDragonMage and Pohany like this.
  11. Pohany

Same here!
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/general-store-mod.1896/
    You betrayed us! [​IMG]

Parrotte likes this.
  12. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

Can't really call it treason myself, I just think it highlights a need for some more endgame combat missions myself, since the variety of bosses is Terraria's main strength. There is technically the vaults but the vault bosses feel lacking in identity to me and I just end up going and fighting the ruin and shoggoth over and over instead.

I'm assuming you went and did your own update on it to make it playable? Is is just something simple like adjusting the .modinfo file, or is there more that needs to be fixed?

Parrotte likes this.
  13. Pohany

Nop ) "version" : "v2.1: for Upbeat Giraffe", ))) There's only a broken menu.
    starbound 2017-03-12 15-21-22-20.png

Parrotte likes this.
  14. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Aw yes, thanks! That'll come in handy with making scrapshacks.
    Will have to make an alpine house first, as I always do with my characters. Though I'm not sure how a synthetic would benefit from one.
    Please forgive me! D:

Pohany likes this.
  15. Pohany

[​IMG]
    Small additions.
    Well, if only this time. I forgive ! ))

16. mastercookie

mastercookie Existential Complex

this has to be the best use of toxic biome ive seen.

on unrelated note, ive been updating General Store mod every now and then for personal use, hope its okay to share it here
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzLo_N-emCipUnItakQ0TG1vUjQ (arrow at the top right to download)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Pohany and Parrotte like this.
  17. Pohany

The first time I'm building something in this biome.Thank ye!

[​IMG]

18. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Just writing something in this thread or I won't receive alerts...

mastercookie and Parrotte like this.
  19. Pohany

20. Yoseiri

Yoseiri Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    I was just taking a small walk in a small planet then I found a big Mushroom Village and I also found a small emty mushroom house so I kill all the villagers and re decorate the village and make it as my town. :hylotl:

Dharkaron, Exilyth, creeper22 and 8 others like this.