Singleplayer Vs Multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tojo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

So i am super excited for this game, I've always wanted a Harvest Moon game that was not on my DS so thank you concerned apple for bringing this game to PC.

But now im wondering will there be differences between the singleplayer experience vs the multiplayer one? Im all for multiplayer, but there will be times that i want to just experience things myself. Like will there be things in that i can only experience in singleplayer like say dating the Npc, but in multiplayer you'll probably not be allowed to do that for various reason like two people want the same girl or what not.

Oh and as a quick second question Will there be a marriage system in the game similar to Harvest Moon's marriage system, i always found that piece of the game entertaining.

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

1. There will be marriage system
      2. You can compete with other player for the same girl/guy
      3. You can marry the other play themselves

• me_onfire

me_onfire Void-Bound Voyager

i wonder whats going on with caves in mp

like starbound i (we) looking forward do have a 4+ player mp server @ my favourite server host company (24/7 online ;) )

whats happening with caves and crafting materials ?
        lets say i decide to plant trees and get the farm running while my friends clear some caves and craft stuff for themselfes

am i able to go to the cave myself ?

does it count for all players when someone else cleared an area ? ( i really dont hope so )

2nd question : is everyone able to build his/her own house in mp ?

• Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

great that makes the game even better. Although should there be features limited only to muliplayer or single player? Like a quest system or improving the town you live in.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

The single player and multiplayer game is almost exactly the same... single player won't be compromised in any way by the fact that Stardew is multiplayer. I love single player and it's extremely important to me that SV is a great single player experience.

The world will behave more or less like the real world does. If someone alters the caves, then they are altered for everyone. If this wasn't the case then you couldn't really have multiple players in the cave simultaneously. The caves are procedurally generated, so they are different each time you start a new valley... But after that they stay the same (unless you... or something else... makes changes to them). The caves are pretty big, so you won't have to worry too much about sharing it with your friends. Furthermore, there will be a way for people to create their own mini-caves... so there won't really be a danger of running out of resources, even if you played in the same valley forever.

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow, a regenerating cave :eek:
              Guess a 100 levels cave isn't enough for us :p

• Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

ok, here's a question about farming in multiplayer. There seem to be seasons in-game. Will my crops die if I plant them, and don't make sure to log back in before the server changes seasons? I could see this being a problem for some people that have 24/7 servers, rather than just booting them up on a local LAN when their friends/family are playing. Seasons may pass slowly in Singleplayer, but on a server with constant time passage you could log out for 24 hours and come back 3 years later in-game.
                How will multiplayer handle this mechanic?

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Howdy!
                  You might be interested in this post from the old forum:
                  http://stardew-valley.9541.n6.nabble.com/Co-Op-Ideas-td4999348.html
                  ConcernedApe discusses possible options for dealing with multiplayer, and it sounds like the final decision hasn't been made yet.

peace

Zellman likes this.
                  • Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

This is why we need you good old-forum folks around here. :-D

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Me and friend fighting for the same girl...
                      Next day- "What? Bro, your computer is destroyed? How'd that happen!" I guess you can't continue.... Don't worry, I'll take care of her for you...

djchrisblue likes this.
                      • mark990

mark990 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

my two cents on how multiplayer "could" be handled:

instead of having a "physical" farm for each players, perhaps they get some sort of warp gate to teleport to your/others farm. i know it really REALLY doesnt fit at all with the game, but there are a few pros:
                        • no player limit for a server without bunching people or having huge areas
                        • each player could allow/restrict others from visiting their farm, sort of halting the flow of time when no-one is there.
                        • could also open up a fast travel system around the village/surrounding area
                        • each player could have unlimited building space, if using a system similar to viva pinata, purchasing expansions for their area.
                        • could open the way to more magical possibilities, even spells.
                        this could help solve issues with crops wilting and animals starving, but again, i dont believe it would really fit in the game. have at it :p

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

There is already a bus station, so if this is the route ConcernedApe takes (separate farms on separate times), once could simply buy a bus ticket and take it to the "other town".

peace

• mark990

mark990 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh, that would work so much better, i suppose i should do some research eh?

• me_onfire

me_onfire Void-Bound Voyager

wow =) ... unlimited random caves :)

thanks for the quick answer ape :)

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Unlimited random caves are awesome.

• Lfern81

Lfern81 Space Hobo

How do u get 2 players

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

This thread was from 2013, so most of the information is outdated. Multiplayer is not out yet but it is in the works. :)

• Trevs

Trevs Astral Cartographer

I'm wondering if there will be some kind of protection system to prevent crop destruction by other players. Although this community is vastly better than literally every other gaming community in terms of being kind and not being trolls, I can't help but worry about griefers who just want to drop Mega Bombs on all my hard work.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

*kaff, koff* Dusty thread. I think I just inhaled a cobweb.

Erm, well it's not supposed to be an MMO type of multiplayer where anyone can just barge in. Presumably it'll be inviting a friend over to your farm to share, so, you'll have to give permission for them to come inside.

Kinda like how vampires work, but with more parsnips.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                        • Trevs

Trevs Astral Cartographer

Oh wow rip, I didn't even see that this was from 2013. Awareness connoisseur over here y'all.