SMAPI Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lintux, Jul 23, 2017.

1. lintux

lintux Space Hobo

So I think I made a mistake last night. To start I am playing SDV on Linux using Steam. I decided to re-install SDV because for some reason the livestock no longer show action bubbles above them. I think the problem is that I uninstalled SDV and not SMAPI. So today I got the game installed but when I went to install smapi it said that it could not find SDV install and prompted me to write in the location. I went ahead and did that getting smapi installed but now steam will not start my game using smapi. Then I uninstalled smapi and re-installed but I'm still having the same problem.

Side question: What would cause the livestock to stop showing action bubbles?

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Your cursors file is the file that has the action bubbles I believe. You need to replace it with a fresh copy. Something similar happened to me when my stack numbers stopped showing. I don't have a fresh copy of the cursors file right now, but someone else may be able to send one here.

As for fixing the SDV problem, just uninstall both, then reinstall SDV then SMAPI.

On a side note: keep in mind when installing SMAPI and mods you can easily screw things up and you should backup any files you'll be changing. I learned this the hard way when I didn't back up my save and my file corrupted from save editing. But I fixed it so it's all good, lol.

• Trevs

Trevs Astral Cartographer

I think someone posted a fresh cursors files in the Modding Section.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Are you clicking on the SMAPI shortcut to play instead of the regular Stardew Valley one? I use SMAPI too and as far as Steam is concerned I haven't played in months because I never use it's shortcut to play. Not sure if that's the issue but it's the first thing that came to mind.

• lintux

lintux Space Hobo

I've always used the play button from steam rather than a shortcut and it's always worked. I opened the game from the actual game folder and It didn't have my saved games on it. I have done the re-install thing 6 times now and smapi wont work. The game does work but I'm 200 hours in and I just can't play this game anymore without having automate. I'm going to try the cursors thing when I finish this post. I will also try from the game folder again and see what happens. Hopefully it will work that way cause I need automate. Might just have to retire. I'll let ya guys know and want to thank you for the help.

• lintux

lintux Space Hobo

Ok. So I have the game running using smapi using the file in the system but now I don't have my saves. I started a new one and it saved but I have no idea where it saved. when I figure that out I will be sort of back to normal just wont be able to play using steam. Since I'm on a new game now I don't know if the cursors worked for the cows.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can redirect Steam to launch SV through SMAPI. That way you can use your mods and still have it count hours and achievements.

When you say action bubbles, are you referring to a mod? Because I have this issue with InteractionHelper. It started when I updated to the last version of SMAPI. The bubbles don't show up on the first day after I load a save. However, they do every day after that. (IIRC I reported it to the mod author because it seems to be a SMAPI version issue.)

• lintux

lintux Space Hobo

I've never had to redirect it before so don't know command yet. Action bubbles, the ones that say the cow needs milked. I have those fixed now. Just need go figure out how to redirect and somehow my greenhouse is broke. Can't go in. All I know is linux is touchy and I think uninstalling the game and not smapi first is what broke it.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I am new to the SMAPI business, but steam does count my hours, if steam was running, while I opened the game using the SMAPI program.

• Seismothesaurus

Ahh, I'm not very good with Linux so I'm not sure how the Steam redirect would work. Here's what you do in Windows, though, if it helps to translate into Linux:

Capture.PNG
                      1. Right click Stardew Valley in Steam
                      2. Open Properties
                      3. Click "Set Launch Options..." (this will open the dialogue box where you can type)
                      4. Locate your file directory where SV and SMAPI are located and enter it into the box, putting StardewModdingAPI.exe" %command% at the end (you can't see my full directory because it cuts off but it also begins with ")

When you click the Play button in Steam, it should now launch SMAPI.

Oh really? I've read people say that it doesn't, or they can't get achievements, so I just use this redirect myself. That's good, though, hopefully it works for everyone now.

Jerev likes this.
                      • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I guess it only counts the hours because steam registers it as running but the overlay simply isn't there. So shift+tab, screenshots with F12 and perhaps achievements doesn't work. Thanks for the alternative you posted.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                        • Seismothesaurus

No problem. :) That makes sense!

• lintux

lintux Space Hobo

Ok so I'm an idiot. The way linux works is, you are a user not an administrator and if needed you can borrow admin power. I installed smapi as admin and steam runs as user so it can't run smapi if you install as admin unless you run as admin. Had my file browser up in admin for so long I forgot. As for the action bubbles, cursors fixed that. I guess I broke the greenhouse too because I couldn't enter. entoarox framework and advanced bus system broke that. Everything is fixed now except I'm missing the book in wizard tower. I can use it but it's not visible. I drank too much beer and installed like 10 mods without taking precautions. BIG mistake on my part but it's mostly fixed now.

Seismothesaurus likes this.