1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Stations - Why?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starbounder82, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Starbounder82

Starbounder82 Space Spelunker

Maybe I'm missing something huge here.. but the only real use I've found for the space station is a mech crafting/customizing station. Other than that, what's the point? You're limited to a finite space, the amount of bars it takes to craft cores or corridors (why? why would you build a corridor? or those split ones that basically limit you to one side or the other) is fairly steep for what you get in return.

In addition, the fact that you only need your mech to get into the station once seeing as how there's a teleporter... even having multiple mech entry pods seems a bit unnecessary. Couple that with the station being in a safe environment, and indoors has gravity (can be changed via panel), the mech is essentially useless here.

I've been browsing the forums trying to find answers, and I haven't come across any, so I figured I'd post and see who else has the same confusion surrounding the space station.

General Nuclear, Blevruz and STCW262 like this.
  2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, right now it only seems to be good for two sort of people:
    1: The sort who are willing to pay through the nose for a space background with gravity.
    2: The sort of people who are absolutely incapable of building anything themselves.

General Nuclear likes this.
  3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

No idea actually, it's just a restricted mode of potential wasted.

but mchs is similar usless, the only purpose of the mech feature is to gather more mech features. and the starter much is enough to go through the extreme hazard sites. so what is the pointless grind and randomness of the mech features good for? entertained me like 2 hours then "meh makes no sense" We don't even have mech big vs mech battles and all the mobs are technically the same no matter if extreme or lowest difficulty. All that differs is the damage they deal.

Also the space stations, HUGELY disappointing, so they have agrar stations and medical ones, but they hardly differ and don't even have any vendors selling "station themed stuff" theres just that one emdical room that makes it "medical". I can't believe how shallow these entire mech and spacestation feature has gotten.

STCW262 likes this.
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The only thing mechs are good for (at least, as far as stuff that isn't mech-only content (or arguably, anything other than space battling) goes) is strip-mining. And that's only if you get the beam drills.

5. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Space stations are fun to build... if you use the pre-1.3.1 bug or post-1.3.1 admin commands to enable free-form building. If you stick with the modules, they're really quite disappointing. Both expensive and dull.

But practical uses are kind of limited either way. Farming (as in actual crops) is about all the comes to mind. Tweaking the gravity lets sprinklers cover more ground. That's arguably practical. Other than that, it's just a fun project (see if above).

6. Zetamax

Zetamax Void-Bound Voyager

The main thing that I would really like to see is being able to have tenants be worthwhile in a space station. Currently they give tier 1 rent, which feels way below par considering the cost of the things.

7. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

/admin
    /settileprotection 0 false
    /settileprotection 65524 false
    /settileprotection 65535 false
    /admin

... profit.

For the most part I actually build the modules since working around the expansion ports is surprisingly limiting, but after that I just adjust everything so it stops feeling like a collection of boxes.

Pohany likes this.
  8. TheLogicMonster

TheLogicMonster Master Chief

I've been wondering this myself. I finally got around to building a space station with a mech bay so I could have a place to store my mech components next to a mech crafting table. That's about it, though. I can't even test out my mech unless I beam back to my ship and deploy from there. I keep hoping in a future update they'll become more worthwhile, like being able to hire crew for your station the way you can for your ship, so that when you're on station you get status effects.