1. These forums have moved. You can find the community for Lenna's Inception on Reddit or joining the developers on Discord.

"Special" items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dropdead, Sep 16, 2014.

1. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

Hi there.
    I feel a bit stupid for opening a thread just for this but I am curious. After some embarassing fail of motor functions :yeahhhh: I finally got it and I've pr0gressed quite a bit in the game. After some exploration and boss fights I got these items:
    upload_2014-9-16_20-15-30.png

They show up in my menu but I cannot just use them. IS there any use for them in an ordinary game? I was under the impression these are for testing purposes - but if so, why hide them?
    I can't help but think it would be a bit annoying to wander the game world wondering where the test items are. So what's up with them?

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

They link into the story line. It hasn't progressed that far yet, but essentially they're relics of ancient technology with unique abilities. It's hinted at in one of the new primary quest segments in the latest build I've just put up (beta4).

My current plan only gives them a gameplay use after completion of the game. Things might change though (and I have been considering ripping them out completely).

• dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

A use after completion doesn't sound so bad? Well, I guess at first I'll have to snoop around a bit in the update... maybe I'll get the hint. <runsoftocheckitout>

Although I haven't found the hints so far, I have found something else. THE chicken. After I fed it a bit of something I found, it completely lost it and went ballistic.

Sadly it believed itself to be the projectile so that didn't go over well:
        friedChicken.jpg
        We didn't know each other for long but I can't shake the felling it might be a bit lacking in the instinct for self preservation. It threw itself into a gaggle of knights and started mowing them down and... well. You've seen the picture. Poor thing. :lod:

But it sure was funny.

By the way: although I've read the part where it says in the game "delete the old map and..." I was pretty surprised when I found out the whole map had changed after that. I thought it meant some locations would change. In hindsight it makes sense. Everything was already placed and I guess the game doesn't really "know" where everything is and where something could find a new place so the map had to be generated new.

Now I'll just toddle off to play. The update was quite big considering the game was just about 40mb before, there's might be more than ursine people and an insane chicken. Maybe something the thread was about... wouldn't want my own thread to go all OT. :badpokerface:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
        • tccoxon

Yeah the FriedChicken is a little more aggressive than the normal chicken. The result is that it gets into a lot of fights and can die. There are two pet-related items that can help with that though, and you may still be able to save your chicken ;)

Most of the time the new map is fairly similar, and just a handful of things will move around. It's only when it can't actually fit the new content into the old terrain that it changes the whole map.

That's the new music. It's all in WAV format so that it works on all OS's, but that bloats the size. At some point I need to figure out a way to make different packages for each OS, with different music codecs...

• dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

No kidding.

The chicken is already up and about. Still nervous as heck though. I think it needs to give up the jet fuel.

I have yet to find a place I recognize but it's not a bad thing. I was just really surprised.

I knew that. :badpokerface:

You know what I missed in the game? When Lenna's students (all children) get killed, she doesn't even comment. She's in the same room, they all go "splat" suddenly and she doesn't bat an eyelid. Same thing with the murder of the ursine people.
            Aside from this detail, the game is fun. My favourites are the green and yellow ball-thingies that hop around. It's pretty cute when they suddenly get all smart and try to jump over Lenna to get through her defense.

tccoxon likes this.
            • tccoxon

I imagine she's a bit like Mikasa from Attack on Titan. Have you seen that? http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Mikasa_Ackerman

• dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

Never heard of her but I took the time to read it. I am pretty clueless when it comes to manga and anime. It's not really my thing. But I do know Final Fantasy and the protagonist in FFXIII is a female soldier, tough as nails, stoic and very protective of her sister.

Sadly, I thought the game was very disappointing and annoying.

But yes, I think I get what kind of character you mean.