1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Marinebeast submitted a new mod:

Inkling Race Mod - Squids in space! A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

Read more about this mod...

2. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Promising mod but at the moment it is impossible to do anything with them because their introduction mission is broken and even if you skip it the SAIL never activates the teleporter, rendering progression impossible.
    Really excited that someone decided to make an Inkling mod though, been waiting for this for a long time.

3. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

Outta curiosity; what's the motive behind the inksplats on the body? I've never seen anythin' of the sort on Inklings, so I'm wondering if it's a personal design decision or not.

ANYWAYS, had the idea to do this myself, but I never got to it. Just gonna leave a lil' thing here with all the assets I had worked out (which is to say, not very much):
    [​IMG]
    Tier 1: Visor Skate Helmet/Mint Tea/Black Seahorses
    2: Paintball Mask/Forge Inkling Jacket/Pro Trail Boots
    3: Stealth helmet/Forge Octarian Jacket/Moto Boots
    4: Octoling Armor
    5a: Hero Replica
    5m: Agent 2 Armor
    5s: Agent 1 Armor
    6a: Armor Replica
    6m: Samurai set
    6s: Power Armor set

This was basically all I had regarding Inklings. Use it as ya will, if ya will!

4. Marinebeast

@ Nightly

That'll be my next focus: debugging stuff in story progression and working on overall functionality. Right now, since I've got character creation figured out, I'm going to try and make these guys at least functional before I start adding stuff like armor and more visual assets.
    (And yeah, I was waiting for someone to do it.. but it never happened. So despite having no experience with modding, here I am!)

Edit: I managed to get the Protectorate tutorial to start correctly, I'll be updating the mod with a quick fix for tutorial quests once I can complete it and get the basic SAIL stuff working. ^ q^

@ Alpha_StevO

It's an aesthetic thing! I've seen some people give their squids and octopuses designs where they had markings on their bodies that reflected the ones on their tentacles or the ones they had in squid form, and I really liked how it looked. It gives them a bit more of an inhuman flair, which is what I'm going for.

Thanks for the suggestions on armor! I'm not too sure what I'm doing with that just yet, but I'll keep them in mind once I start hammering out equipment.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Marinebeast

Marinebeast updated Inkling Race Mod with a new update entry:

0.01.3A: Update for starting quest and teleport functionality.

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. Marinebeast

[​IMG]

Starting to work on clothes now! I'll get a good set of them done before I push them out in an update, probably a few different casual outfits and armor sets.
    As a result, it'll be a bit before I get the Fresh Clothes Update (tm) out.. but if there's any bugs or gamebreaking issues that come to my attention before then, I'll work on those and make a quickfix update. As always, be sure to keep me posted if you find any of these things!

(I'll probably make a pretty okay banner for my mod tonight, too, if I can pull myself away from spriting hell. We'll see.)

Normal clothes'll be craftable at the loom while armor will be made at the anvil, and recipes'll mirror the typical requirements. However, all recipes will probably all require plant fiber or other basic ingredients in some degree, because you can't really make a shirt out of iron alone, even if it has Four Defense Ups on it. I'd sure like to have a shirt like that.

Spriting pants is hard work, but I found a functional and lore-friendly way to get away with being lazy: since a lot of Splatoon's ingame "pants" are actually just shoes that layer over the default shorts, I'll probably end up having a majority of the inkling leg armor be a combination of the default sport shorts + shoes. They'll all be able to have the white stripe down the pants be color-customizable to coordinate with your tentacles and/or markings, because that matters to me! Inklings are all about color and sound, after all.

That being said, pants and hats are going to have unisex sprites while chest stuff might differ slightly in shape depending on how form-fitting it is. The differences probably won't be as prominent as they are with other races, so you'll have to put up with that if you put a squid shirt on a female of another species.. but most shirts aren't so tight as to show cleavage anyways. :')

--- Post updated ---

Clothes are going great, I've got my first set implemented and I'll have a few more sets + the first couple armor sets releasing in the next update.
    I'll try to have the chest stuff fit other humanoid races, too, but females of other species may experience boob clipping here and there since the inkling body shape is subtly different. If you've got mods that edit the torsos of avians, floran, and hylotl so that they have lessened or nonpresent boobs, they should be able to wear squid clothes just fine.

I'm also working on basic lore and interactions between inkling players and npcs of various species. Under the quote are brief summaries of their relationships with other races, and what to expect.

At some point, I'll have lore and dialogue for various custom races interacting with Inklings, too!

7. Marinebeast

Clothes: The Beginning!

8. Anonoriginal

Anonoriginal Void-Bound Voyager

One of the problems I have with the mod is that the gender signs in character customizations,
    Y'know the male and female?
    That you changed to ink splats?
    Blue and orange respectively.
    They now have the ink splats for nearly all races when picking a gender
    So if you could fix that and keep it just to the inklings c: that'd be nice ^-^ other then that great mod.
    Not as splantoon fan but eh.

9. Marinebeast

That should be fixed in last night's update, unless all of the other races' .species files are pointing to "imale.png" / "ifemale.png".

Glad you like the mod! I'm going to work on fleshing out the lore enough so that even people who've never played Splatoon can still enjoy it. :3

10. Anonoriginal

Anonoriginal Void-Bound Voyager

Right c: im going to redownload it when I have time and I'll see if it fixes it
    And yes c: the mod (while it is still in development) is really good.
    Just needs fixing here and there such as stuff added which I read you did.
    And I'd play splatoon but I don't have an Wii-u

11. Marinebeast

0.2.1A: Clothes, racial traits & namegen!

12. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

Craftable clothes that function as tiered armor should remain craftable, like the other armors. BUT, all of the other clothes should be purchasable from a Jelonzo, Crusty Sean, and Annie NPCs; I feel like that'd fit the spirit of Splatoon rather well.

13. icetail0912

icetail0912 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh man, this update is gonna make it fun to try for the Hylotl artifact. I love the idea of having in some Splatoon NPCs, though- maybe Spyke somewhere, to sell you stuff of more dubious legality?

14. Marinebeast

That's actually not a bad idea!

I'm not sure how to implement custom NPCs just yet, since none of the shopkeepers are inklings and that might complicate things a bit-- but I could make their shops act as crafting tables. Crafting stsalls. I could do that as my answer to spinning wheel woes? Make it so it feels like they're making stuff for you, give the shopkeeper some fabric and pixels and they'll make whatever you want.

Seeing as I do want to eventually have all the clothes!! as craftable and recolorable, it might be for the best to avoid clogging up the spinning wheel and the recipes in the .species file.

Another fun thought I had was making a generic, race-exclusive crafting item that's a bottle of squid ink (crafted with a glass vial and a bit of slime for preservation) and making it so you can convert that to dye at said crafting stalls. It feels like a fun lore-friendly option to easily get dye if you're a squid.

... Also, yeah, the Hylotl artifact quest might be a little tough with this update. I might tweak the breath reduction value in the future if it interferes too much with gameplay.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  15. Marinebeast

0.3A: One really late night update with vendors, clothes and armor!

16. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

i have yet to play splatoon (don't have a wii u to do so) but i am loving this and downloading it now.

17. Marinebeast

Fun with weapons!

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to hold a Splattershot, Hayate.

18. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can I just say I love this? What you have out so far, what you have planned. . .I downloaded this off of Steam Workshop and I look forward to everything you have to offer!

When I love something, I tend to get ideas for it. You have so much planned that I understand if you feel anything I have to suggest would be too much or wouldn't fit your vision, but I'd like to share some ideas just in case!

For one thing, and this is something that would probably be a long time from now because of all the animating and the easy potential for something going wrong to break the game, but maybe the teleport animation could be a Squid Jump?

And for something a little less labor heavy and easier to do right away but a bit out of left field and possibly not fitting with what you already have planned, I'd like to suggest a couple of inspirations for future tentacle styles that I don't think anyone else will think of.

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Commyloose
    http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Kraken

Was looking through the Idol descriptions in Kid Icarus: Uprising a while back and was like, "Hey, cephalopods!" Being able to make Inklings that have tentacle styles inspired by those might be fun. I'm especially imagining one with the Galactic Fiend Kraken's head crest.

19. Marinebeast

Aw, thank you! I intend to bring as much to the table as I can with this mod, so that's really nice to hear? Updates are slowing a bit because I want to work on getting content out; right now, tiered weapons + armor, animation fixes and a Shrimp Kicks vendor stall are all on my main to-do list.

Now that you mention it, I /might/ go and make an Ammo Knights -- Sheldon's adorable and deserves to be just as much a part of the action as the others!
    I've got four main weapon categories planned -- pistols / splattershots, hammers / rollers, rifles / chargers, and swords / brushes -- but once I start populating the unique weapon list a bit further with things like blasters and splatlings, I'll consider making an Ammo Knights stall. He might sell weapons, he might sell weapon materials and other crafting stuff... we'll see.

I would love to make the teleport animation to be a super jump, but it'll be on the back burner for awhile. Current focuses, and eventual spriting-heavy projects like the Judd SAIL AI will come first.

Finally, more tentacle styles are always welcome! I'll give those a look when I feel like making them, thank you!

Titanium and Coricus like this.
  20. Marinebeast

[​IMG]
    Remember to brush your squid daily.

Early-game weapons and armor are my main focus right now! My decisions on tiered armor so far:

- tier 1: Aviator Goggles, Forge Inkling Parka, Moto Boots / "Aviator's" set (implemented)
    - tier 2: SQUID GIRL outfit / "Iconic Squid set" (work in progress)
    - tier 3: Famitsu / "Traditional" set
    - tier 4: Agent set / "Inkling Agent" set
    - tier 5: Octoling set / "Octoling Soldier" set
    - tier 6: Armored Agent set / "Reinforced Agent" set
    - tier 7: Elite Octoling set / "Octoling Elite" set
    - tier 8: Samurai set / "Octarian Shogun's" set

They'll all have decorative ink tanks (besides maybe the last one), and the recipes might be a bit creative compared to vanilla stuff. You might want to stock up on kelp and gold for those last two, and for t6 and t7, you might want to keep around your t4 and t5 armor. :')

Omega_Flowely and Coricus like this.