Dev Blog Starbound 1.3.1 Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Original Post

2. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Ooookay, so...
    -fix bookmarks not being sorted alphabetically
    Thanks! That was quite annoying :D

-Fix a bug allowing placement of blocks on some outside walls of player stations
    No, no, no, no, NO! That was NOT a bug that needed fixing, but rather the one part that kinda made stations viable for builders. This should ONLY have been fixed if a proper system to build stations that are at least on par with the existing stations were implemented.

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

One man's bug is another man's feature :)

4. Teshlin2

Teshlin2 Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    Ruined stations.

5. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

While I can understand why people didn't want the space station building bug fixed, it was still a bug that needed to be fixed.
    It was a way to build space stations as big as you wanted without having to invest any resources to expand them. The high cost of expansion is intended, it makes end-game more interesting and mining more meaningful. Instead of only needing like 40 titanium throughout the game, now you want to get hundreds if not thousands.

Anyone who still wants to ignore station progression and build outside the boundaries can use admin commands. Win win here.

Also, new mech horn hype!

EldrickTobin and Ainzoal like this.
  6. DragonsForce

I'm all for fixing it if they made a proper way to build stations that are not big, grey boxes with very limited shapes. Until then, they are giant resource sinks without any use.

7. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

You are forgetting the cost of building materials which in the long haul can add up. The cost of expansion is not my problem, It is the limitations on the modules that can be built, which look frankly ugly especially compared to the space station "dungeons". Lastly, Titanium isn't an endgame resource and can be found on tier 2 planets (temperate stars) in abundant quantities. Crafting the hull panels required for building the station would take more resources that the modules would, and without the backgrounds (which I still don't know why they are there).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

The station control panel's gravity does apply to player-built areas. Please verify your information before misinforming other players.

Godbot, Ainzoal, Oberic and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sinxar

Sinxar Subatomic Cosmonaut

10. DragonsForce

Well, that is completly irrelevant now anyways, as there does not appear to be ANY way to create those player-build areas anymore....

Also, you seem to be 100% intend on stopping players from building things in space in this space-themed buillding game.... Is there a reason for that? The only option we have now is to spend ages building ourself to the asteroidlayer of a planet, where we have to deal with the planets weather, music, atmospheric sounds, day/night cycle and monsters, as well as the constant danger of falling to our death (Well, there's plenty of time to beam out. But you get the idea)

Except, you know, we CAN'T. Unless you know of a very secret way to do that, in which case, please, do enlighten me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    DraikNova likes this.
  11. RancorSnp

RancorSnp Seal Broken

I'll be honest, I am very much unhappy about the "bug fix" regarding the space stations, and I would really, really appreciate if this feature was restored. Not only It is a real shame to loose all the work that went into creating our stations : http://i.imgur.com/o8pub0A.jpg (mine is still pretty new, so I apologize for a bit rough looks), but it also really takes away my motivation to even having the base.
    Let's be honest, the pre-made pieces do not look that good, and it's VERY hard to tell if the part you are about to create is what you want, and since there is no way to remove set pieces, if you build the wrong thing you'll need to create a new station from the scratch. Not cool at all.

If the materials consumption is so important in this case, let us buy the space to build, rather than set pieces.

STCW262, DraikNova and DragonsForce like this.
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Uh... I would not call mindlessly mining materials "interesting". Maybe the first time you go to a planet that has durasteel, for example, to get your armor set, but after you've mined a few hundred durasteel ore, mining thousands more is not "fun", nor is it "interesting". It's just "grind". And lots of it.

And "without having to invest any resources" ..... you do invest resources when you build yourself. You have to get the blocks from somewhere, right? Oh... wait, it's just that you get the rooms built for far cheaper without the ludicrous costs...

DSF66, Blevruz, STCW262 and 3 others like this.
  13. Drolfeir

Drolfeir Void-Bound Voyager

Compromises: You can still build in asteroid belts? Can we have some stray asteroids in our space-station world? My primary desire for building outside the space station is to build my own spaceships that are "docked".

Glad to see the gas-planet nav-crash bug was found and fixed. I'd experienced a couple times but couldn't figure out a way to reproduce and report it for others.

Can we have our mech always spawned at the mech beacon in our space stations? I'd like that as an easier way to do EVAs (or perhaps my suggestion for an EPP augment for zero-g)

14. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

You can, but these areas now lack gravity, and (without mods) there's no way to add it. Making them unsuitable for most building projects.

DragonsForce likes this.
  15. metadept

There's a lot of information on this topic. For example, https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/6i6qzq/some_helpful_notes_on_building_space_stations/

While I certainly understand your frustration with wanting a feature to work differently, Starbound is a game that offers an incredible amount of freedom to do that. Using admin commands or mods to change the rules of the game seems like a perfectly reasonable solution, especially in a case like this where a couple of commands will accomplish exactly what you're asking for.

16. DragonsForce

I knew about all this, though it is not all accurate anymore.
    With the new update, it is not possible to build outside of the zone of the station, even with block protection turned of. Leaving spaces out is almost equally unviable due to the fixed background image that would stand over the sides. And although I have not tested it in 1.3.1, in 1.3 the command still left single blocks in expansion modules that could not be changed.
    Mods is an equally unviable option, as the server I play on is a vanilla server which has missmatched assets turned of, as that is the only option to repel griefers. Support for multiplayer in general seems to be very low on your prioritys, which is understandable, even if I don't like it.

I was not happy with the way stations worked in 1.3, but due to the so-labeled bug, we at least had an option - a flawed option, but on option nonatheless - to build something in space that looked remotly good.

By FAR the largest issue I have is that we DO NOT have a good place to build spaceships and stations, as well as asteroid mining outposts and the like anymore since 1.3. We can not build freely at space stations, there is no gravity in asteroid fields, and the planetary biome asteroid fields has a number of issues, most notably how hard it is to get there and that they share the planets weather, which in the best case means rain in space and in the worst regular destruction of anything you build.

EDIT: I did not know about the command to remove the background image. This does not help me as a serveruser anyways though.

RancorSnp likes this.
  17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Mismatched assets being off and being vanilla won't get rid of griefers, considering the existence of /spawnitem and the lack of server-side characters.
    But I agree when it comes to stations; here's hoping 1.4 will add more customizable stations or, better yet, gravity generators.

18. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

It's a change for the worse from the perspective of most players.

The only bad part of how it worked before is that placing blocks outside the expansion ports to remove them was unintuitive. A better solution, rather take it away, would be add "Open Hatch" to the list of options when interacting with it.

DraikNova likes this.
  19. metadept

Multiplayer is absolutely a priority for us and we have fairly extensive support for it. Public multiplayer on servers with malicious users has never been a goal and we have been very explicit about that for a very long time.

Even on a vanilla server, administrators can disable the tile protection in the world (which, I can assure you, does work) to make it work the way you want. Alternatively, you can play with mods and also disallow mismatched assets, provided the server and clients share the same mods. Space stations are working the way we intend them to, but in the spirit of Starbound as a highly-modifiable sandbox experience, I've also suggested several different ways that you can make them work in the way you'd prefer them to. Please try to accept one of these almost complete solutions.

Pilchenstein, Ainzoal and Kawa like this.
  20. ogdred

ogdred Phantasmal Quasar

Not really on topic but... any plans on improving the turrets , even by a little bit?