Dev Blog Starbound 1.3.1 Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Spritley Jack

Spritley Jack Big Damn Hero

There should be an update where you can go onto the gas planets with a mech! That would be neat, and there could be some interesting things to do there.

kittentamer likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Now, don't start that again!

DragonsForce and Pohany like this.
  3. Spritley Jack

Spritley Jack Big Damn Hero

About the Space Stations, It would be nice if there was an AI terminal for the space station where you could make changes to the station, such as different walls to match your style. (I would prefer the Rusty Panels, myself.) Just being able to change the walls slightly would be nice, to make them more interesting. Otherwise, I like how it looks. :nuruhappy:

4. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, THAT is a good new. I'm trying to fix a mod I made for a previus Starbound release, and this single line change the "I don't know if this fix is even posible" to a "Hey! I think I can handle this...".

Drolfeir likes this.
  5. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

This^
    I love those orange panels myself, and having the default border walls on everything isn't ideal.

kittentamer and DragonsForce like this.
  6. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

We've been through this already. No. Just no

DragonsForce likes this.
  7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Custom (and cheated, but how would one check that) items are also forbidden and will result in an IP-bann. Additionally, you can "protect" a planet, on which then in turn no other person can build, destroy or use projectiles (Since some of those also destroy blocks, particularly the meteors) unless you give them permission. Now the moderators just have to tell of one to three people a day and occasionally bann someone; before 1.0 and the missmatched assets there were constantly people with modded weapons that would often break the server. Allowing a set of mods without allowing missmatched assets would require every serveruser to use those particular mods, which would mean a severe loss in playercount.

The admin can't go around fulfilling special wishes for everyone. And when I checked before the 1.3.1 update, resetting the tileprotection definetley didn't free up all blocks on an expanded station; I will however try it again and report back on that. I can also live without the stations - I did that since the days of the butterfly boost tech - Energy armour combo which let you fly forever, if anyone remembers that - but I sincerly hope that you implement a way to make builds in "space" viable again. Options for that could be a gravity generator for example, an item that, when placed in an asteroidfield, produces gravity in, say, a 100 block radius or square (easier to compute). For maximum exitment, make it work on planets as well, and allow for adjustable gravity down to 0g (As in the stations).
    Another option (Which I would find INCREDIBLY exciting) would be to allow us to place an anomaly-kind of location in space, where we would have maybe a single asteroid to build of of. Gravity could either be on by default (I wouldn't really mind) or "build" as was and - theoretically, not practically - still is the case on stations; blocks where a non-airblock was once placed have gravity, the others don't.
    If you think those seem to make sense, I'll head over and create a suggestion thread for that... Been a while since I did that.

I'd like to close by saying that you all did a terrific job with Starbound in general and the last update in particular; appart from the station issue and the fact that the asteroid changes more or less destroyed builds there - of which I didn't have any, but a friend did - I am really enjoying it; and I have been enjoying the game for over 2 years; Steam says 1464h in Stable, 336 in Unstable (Although that does include the time the game was just loaded in the background).
    Thank you all for this amazing game.

Albussystems and Speed Lightning like this.
  8. Sairus323

Sairus323 Void-Bound Voyager

I also think, that building outside of player station shouldn't be forbidded, but there could be function in station control terminal like "remove/return expansion doors" or rather in expansion door menu add function to remove this particular door and in station control terminal add button "respawn expansion doors". Or add more sectors to build, because station with only corridors and 2 types of rooms (and i don't really like the octagon one...) is looking kina strange especially when you're comparing player-builded stations to premade ones... no offense but it's like developers are saying "Look, what we have created! And be jealos because we won't allow you to create something like that!"

DragonsForce likes this.
  9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think a lot of this issue could be resolved if they would simply add more room variety to the re-built rooms. More shapes, sizes, etc.

I think the core concept is fantastic, but the fact players want to build their own rooms shows that the ole blocky rooms just don't scratch the various itches the players have and I would have to admit that the pre-built rooms are fairly generic.

Nice idea, but... too generic. I can see the complaints there, and why people want to build their own, especially when you look at some of CF's stations and compare what you can do with the unmodded system that CF gave us, there's just no comparison.

kittentamer likes this.
  10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, just giving that little panel that controls gravity an extra slot where you can give it a block type to change the outer walls to would already solve like 40% of complaints.

11. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

Haven't dug into the changes in the modding capability in awhile (I'll fix my mod one of these days...really), Is it currently possible to add more station room options via mod? Does it use the same system as the maping for the mini biome and dungeons?

12. Xovia_Harmile

Xovia_Harmile Orbital Explorer

An annoying suggestion: A ship made from blocks, our ships right now just don't fit with the new ships. Maybe we'd start out with a protector type ship but be able to upgrade and choose if we want an astro ship or industrial ship. Maybe these would require different resources like ship upgrading used to require. We could have a docking field so that we can get to a planets asteroids and search them, or get random traders appearing for a bit, giving us quests.

13. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

No clue on the specifics, but considering that FA (Frackin' Universe) already HAS added more space station rooms, its 100% doable.

kittentamer likes this.
  14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Bugs are bugs, you have to solve them, I feel better playing knowing that I can not do something that is really a bug in the game, to do things that the original game can not do, are the mods, I do not understand much the reason for discussion , The errors must be fixed, be of the type that are xD

Lindazana and Ainzoal like this.
  15. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Could not disagree more. Then you destroy the point of stations and asteroid bases since you can just build your ship whatever you like. To the point that it STOPS being a ship >_>

16. Xovia_Harmile

Xovia_Harmile Orbital Explorer

I don't mean that we'd be able to make the ship, I mean that the ship is made from blocks as in like how generated stations are.

17. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Literally all the complaints I'm seeing are easily solved in FU. Why are y'all still playing vanilla? It's pointless to resist. Play the game the way it is supposed to be. Modded.

Voidnaut, Lindazana and moremuffin like this.
  18. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Still think there should be a mech tech slot that halts the depletion of energy sse when piloting mechs and firing their weapons on planets. Specifically for the purpose of long term use on planet surfaces. Mobs could still hurt them, after all. And it'd just be a lot more fun to be able to take them virtually anywhere outside of space without running out of energy unless I get careless and things damage me.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

But yet, mechs are entirely overpowered on planets. That kind of power SHOULD have costs and limitations, otherwise... why even bother with character armor and such if you can roflstomp everything outside of missions with ease?

In fact, the mechs even protect you against the environments too so you wouldn't even need EPPs. You basically can circumvent half the game if you could use mechs in that way. And "mobs can still hurt them" ... enemies do <20 damage a pop to even the starter mech. Mechs are designed to take hits in the hundreds. It would take FOREVER for a mech to get whittled down, and your weapons kill most enemies in one shot. That's with low level mech gear.

I have the 2nd racial body and it only has Tier 3 Energy/Defense rating... and it can take (a wild guess) ~4,000 damage or so before it blows up.

You have any idea how long it would take to get killed if you had 4,000 HP and you're only taking 10 here, 15 there while wielding a pair of infinite-use one-shot kill weapons?

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm okay with, say, a placable Mech Recharging Station that slowly regenerates mech power, but you cannot be inside the mech while it does so. It has to sit there. And it can take damage while recharging, just as the player can when they sleep.

And that station should be goddamn EXPENSIVE.

Godbot, Ainzoal, Shakar and 3 others like this.