Dev Blog Starbound 1.3.1 Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 19, 2017.

1. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Mech energy depletes rapidly on volcanic worlds and stuff until you have a body with the appropriate tier. So the whole environmental protection thing isn't much different from character story progression. You'd still require solarium to make the higher tier bodies and the epp on your character to get those metals first.

As for the balance thing. I literally don't care. The idea of using the mech is to be mega powerful. I think it would be overall better for the game to be able to explore planets in a piece of heavy machinery like a mech at your discretion. You're also wrong about the damage. Mobs on volcanic worlds nick my tier 4 mech bod (I use the hero body) for 132 damage. And it puts a noticeable dent in the energy bar.

Granted, they'd have to get through my giant barrier of floating sentries which is cool as HELL to hurt me under anything but a test condition.

DraikNova likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you want to feel mega-powerful, just use /admin and equip the T6 DPS armor, lol.

3. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Not the same. I farmed for my bad ass mech-mobile. I wanna really drive it.

And I've already unlocked t6 dps armor through legitimate play (it doesn't take that long). I don't use mods or admin commands on principle.

DraikNova and SivCorp like this.
  4. Ugicywapih

Ugicywapih Orbital Explorer

I see on one hand many people want the option to customize their space stations further, while on the other hand devs want to limit the ability to build upon existing station designs so that orbital living space stays reasonably expensive for the sake of pacing. How about some sort of compromise, like an environmental controls module, that itself is costly to build but allows the player to freely rearrange blocks in range of it (though the area would still have to have full background in order to be breathable, of course). This lets the players have their freedom while maintaining costs as a progression limiter by introducing expensive enviro modules.

Indeed, I feel that as they are, stations are hugely overpriced for two reasons. On one hand, a large station requires a great amount of construction materials from low-end planets. This isn't just grind, as by the time most players get anywhere close to finishing a large scale station project, I'd assume they have T6 gear, so mining another 1200 gold ore for a large core will present little threat, and thus little excitement making for even more of a chore. Maybe add alternative room recipes using lower amounts of higher grade materials?
    The second issue is that with barren planets present as a safe building environment, stations serve only a purely cosmetic purpose (aside from a debatable advantage of having a mech area handy - the one in the Outpost is quite accessible), which only exacerbates the issue of their cost. I would love to see some station-only structures with at least a little practical gameplay impact. Maybe some automated mining drone stations, that you could periodically harvest for random minerals , kind of like fluffalos (note: if this is limited to low end minerals common in space, this could nicely tie into space station construction for advanced players and the grind involved without affecting late-game power balance), or micrograv fabbers, that could output trade goods if you"fuel" them with relevant resources in a mechanic a bit like the ship's erchius fuel system. The need for most minerals, especially low end ones, seems to peter out rather quickly, at least for me (aside from potential station construction, of course, and the possibility of refining for pixels to further the expansion of one's galaxy-spanning "extra cozy" tenement empire), and the market for trade goods is extremely limited, with stations buying less than 40 before the price drops by a half.

I do wonder if hoverbikes will now be useful in space, that'd be pretty cool, especially for players with decent land gear, but no high end mech parts trying to rush space encounters.

5. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Has the game been created "expressly" to play with mods? Or the game is how the creators want, but with extensive modification options? Are 2 different things.

A company creates the game that it wants, that other people modify the game to their liking, and the company facilitates that work, it is apart.

Now that if the game has been created expressly to be modeled, that the person who plays the original game is not playing the real game, then I shut up.

I keep the first thing I said xD

6. Moose2001

Moose2001 Phantasmal Quasar

Triplod action figure still broken for collection purposes.
    Please give mechs vanity slots, I don't want to be stuck flying a space donut :/
    Bring back the Po pet.
    Make space stations useful.

Otherwise, great patch overall.

7. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I disagree... and I quote Tiy on this "We plan to support Starbound far beyond the 1.0 release. We’re building a universe that’s capable of being taken in a great number of different directions and we’d like to start polling the community to find out where you’d like it to go next."

Clearly they know that the game can go many different directions, and they are not opposed to this... they encourage it!
    So why are people resistant to go in the different direction that may not be perfectly in line with what Chuckfish Co. has given them? There is literally nothing stopping you from getting exactly what you want except yourself.

Modding is supported so well in this game for that very reason. Use it.

Source : http://playstarbound.com/what-to-expect-from-the-next-update-1-0-and-beyond/

Marinebeast and Kawa like this.
  8. Jackie2581

Jackie2581 Title Not Found

Sorry, The time that I've tried building stations that way It was like that. Something must have changed correcting that. In any case I will edit my post.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Maybe make environmental control stations only capable of providing gravity to a limited, 1/2 of a large core-sized area, and then it'd probably have the sort of balance the devs want, while simultaneously giving players the freedom they want. Plus, imagine the puzzles/challenges you could set up with a controllable gravity panel!

10. Cyborg777

Cyborg777 Aquatic Astronaut

Hey, I have a problem since the update occurred. And, it's kind of a game breaking one. All of the NPCs are gone. I mean ALL of the NPCs are gone. Enemies, allies, civilians, quest givers, space is completely depopulated from the first frame of the game. I sometimes see random pieces of meat, money, and other drops scattered on the planet surface, but the enemies that drop them never showed up. It's as if the characters are spawned with zero health and immediately die on the first frame. What happened?

11. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

How are hoverbikes different now in space? Does anyone know?

I'm honestly curious now about what they used to do. Did they just fall forever or something?

jonathonspy likes this.
  12. Sairus323

Sairus323 Void-Bound Voyager

i have several friends, who thinks that game is supposed to be vanilla and are strongly against any mods

DragonsForce likes this.
  13. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Well, you can't build your station whatever you like, and asteroid bases don't hve gravity, so.....

14. Sairus323

Sairus323 Void-Bound Voyager

and again game is crashing on start... i looked in log and looks like some item named "LadyHatHead" is causing the crash (am i right?) and the problem is i don't know how this item is appeared in the game...

Attached Files:

15. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

Ugh, I'm gonna have to start looking into what it takes to add additional Station room options. I kinda want to do a full set of cramped ones that are a fraction of the cost so that the first space station people could afford to make is more like our actual space station. After the players is rich enough to afford a better one, they can still use the cramped cheaper modules to represent maintenance tunnels and such for a more developed station. What would really help is having a way to remove undesired station rooms. Maybe having a placeable version of the hatch that gives the interface option to jettison the room or hallway on the other side. Destroys everything in it, but lets a new module be placed there.

As far as mechs go, I think the balance is already messed up, I got the basic one at tier 2 I think it was, then just bull rushed through tier three. Then I get the next tier of mech, but it couldn't operate on the next tier of planet. Still have to get the plans for the highest tier mech and visit that tier of planet, but so far it makes the middle tier of mechs seems almost useless. The jump in difficulty of the space content also doesn't seem to fit as I go from low tier anomalies that I burn through with a first tier mech with ease, then hit the next tier where a matching mech has to repeatedly return to the ship to recharge, for no appreciable improvement in loot drops. Still have to see the highest tier difficulty though, not there yet as I am going the slow route of saving up credits to by my ship upgrades instead of filling it with the first people I come across.

16. nefrem

nefrem Phantasmal Quasar

Is it really impossible to make steam and gog release at the same time ?
    I mean if it take 24h to rebuild and release the gog installer, maybe waiting this 24h for the steam release will stop making gog users frustrated...

17. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

And still we can't remove Station rooms; this is the only fix we need right now.....

Sairus323 likes this.
  18. RancorSnp

RancorSnp Seal Broken

Yes, they have stated that allowing us to remove the station rooms is too hard to do right now, and there was no time for it. It is very, very easily fixed, by not forcing players to use terrible set pieces that nobody likes, but apparently these are super important. To be honest, I'd say just do not bother with space stations until they fix them to work again.
    There is literary no merit to them, IF there were some hazards in space where having invulnerable rooms is absolutely necessary, I would understand that. But as it is, it's in no way different than building anywhere else, which is fine, but you can't build what you want, which makes it pretty much useless.

DraikNova likes this.
  19. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please add an option so we can still build outside, I know it's a bug but this gave us so much freedom, plus we were able to change the background with this and add object outside of walls , like solar panel because it doesn't really make sense to place it indoor
    I'm counting on you Chucklefish team

DraikNova likes this.
  20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

this is till a thing, most fatures of starbound are grind, their first 30minutes play like their last hours. they lack progression.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    777JackOfBlades likes this.