Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 - Spacefarer Trailer

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I feel like maybe you're being a little shit on purpose, since I literally just told you why. But I'm not gonna let that get to me.

2. EmPyky

EmPyky Space Hobo

OK. I will rephrase. Why the developers did not fix it? And it's not how it works. The fact is that they had to fix it when they realized that "something is not right." The people are not happy, sales will fall. " And I also bought it. Not a single minute has not lost in all pirate versions. I expect quality. As any adequate buyer. You would be happy if you bought .. watermelon. Bought a watermelon. With a remarkable appearance. But inside green flesh, instead normal juicy red. You can eat, but something is missing. It feels like you do not see the essence of the problem. This watermelon can draw a beautiful pattern, make the lines brighter. But inside he was green. And remains green.
    buyer dont know how grow watermelon. he want good product.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@EmPyky, the developers have in fact optimized the shit out of the game.

I fondly remember when they first added the Grand Pagoda Library. Visiting that was a literal slideshow, because of all the water. I mean, my frames per second became literal seconds per frame. It was rather glorious in how slow it was.

Was. I can play that mission as fast as any other now.

The Outpost, with its multitude of NPCs, used to become sluggish (but not as bad as the library), from all the Lua context switches whenever I came near the central building.

Used to. It barely makes a dent now.

All this on the same old clunker I've used all along. I know the developers optimized the game more than you can even begin to imagine, because I almost literally watched them do it. So take your watermelon metaphor and eat it.

DragonsForce likes this.
  4. EmPyky

EmPyky Space Hobo

You look at this watermelon and say "it's okay, it will ripen in your fridge in a couple of years."
    How old is the game in development? How much do you need to wait for it to mature?
    And you do not have to switch to personalities like "I can not imagine, I have not seen"
    I do not allow myself such an abomination, although I do not hide the desire to answer you, like you to me
    If I'm talking to you on behalf of developers, then answer - WHEN the game will be playable in any skirmishes and any volume of objects on the screen in a constructive, clear, direct form. And not that "you do not know how much they work, you did not see it, blah blah blah"
    YES. I do not represent. YES. did not see. But it does not stop me from asking for a book for complaints, where I'll write about your way of responding to players on a constructive question.
    If you are my good, do not have information to give a clear answer, then our conversation is better to finish, and I'll wait for the development team, and we'll have a nice chat. I am sure that these adults will give an exhaustive answer to my "complaints"

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Okay since you won't stop with the watermelon I'm just gonna cut through the rind and reply only to the important bit here.
    You want a clear, concise answer? Okay. It already is.

Believe it or not. I'd explain a likely reason why but I doubt you'd listen.

6. EmPyky

EmPyky Space Hobo

well. when game cancel draw all in dos and became normal game who send all resourses on videocard processor? why the other game (I will not show a finger) has on the screen Hell'lot'ofSh@ and no signs of freezes? This is with the HD picture. I came to the starbound, because there was something missing, although there is a lot of things there, and then the game spits into my soul, and on the forum I'm raised to ridicule, saying that the game in the release and everything is fine. no. not fine. At least not beautiful. And it's frustrating. Raving to go to the farm in 4 tiers and see 5 frames per second

7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Can confirm, game runs silky smooth on my new machine. Didn't quite run that smooth on my 5+ year old non-gaming laptop, but was still decisivley playable on max zoom anywhere except for a giant city build in the atmosphere level with tonns of NPCs during heavy rain.

8. EmPyky

EmPyky Space Hobo

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-MA785GT-UD3H
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 545 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 5531MB used, 3937MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode
    not enough. damn it. pixel powa

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's funny cos my laptop is pretty much five years old now. Dunno if it counts as a gaming laptop though...

DragonsForce likes this.
  10. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I give the fishies some slack, they are a pretty small team and apparently they've been working and finishing up other games (I think.....i saw them at the E3 this year for PC....I think?) anyway, I find that starbound still needs a little more optimization, but i know they are taking those steps, especially for old systems by giving limiter options (I know i needed it for my portable laptop, used to chug and run hot fast from playing)

Starbound just feels like this massive game they just continue to add on to and improve, it was never "finished" but put in a state in which they can say "this is the game," and although I don't like the idea of incomplete games, least I do see some updates and improvements bit by bit. Pondering what i'll be like by 2018, -shrugs- who knows but i'm sure the experience gets better as it already has so far.

EmPyky likes this.
  11. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

guys did you found this glitch?
    when sleeping on a specific bed on space your head is in the back of bed head.
    look

starbound_2017_06_20_02_25_23_330.jpg

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Can confirm, industrialbedcover.png is wrong.

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Literally unplayable.

Ickura, Kawa and DragonsForce like this.
  14. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Sooooo your essentially, just by looking at it, sleeping under the covers....floating on the outside of your bed. That is definitely not good for back support...

Kawa likes this.
  15. escondida

escondida Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the cool new spacefaring features; space stations are a lovely place to make a home. Also, thanks really quite a lot for the pause key (-:

16. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great, I have a worthless 3 panel sized tube I cannot wire correctly because the wire keeps breaking. What is the point of the long rail tube if I can't even connect the bottom and the top together?

17. DragonsForce

You need to extend the range of the cable by putting OR-Gates in between. That should do it.

18. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

It doesn't. Or gates don't act like the tram stops. I had to put another tram stop in the middle of the tube so it's not on the rail but connects the two sides.

19. DragonsForce

Hmm. That's weird... Probably means that they don't actually toggle via the wiring, but rather just use the reference of where it is connected to for the pathfinding algorithm.

20. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

The main minus of the mech is too simple boarding. It's enough just to lure the enemies into the guns.