1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Starbound crash on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by AxelAlex360, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxelAlex360

AxelAlex360 Void-Bound Voyager

Hi there, got Starbound few months ago worked perfectly on a crappy laptop with Win 8.1 i5 3230m 2.6GHz and Nvidia 710m with only 1gb of vram and 8gb of ddr3 ram.
    I recently built a desktop pc with i5 6400 quad core 2.7GHz AMD Radeon RX 460 with 2gb of vram and 8gb of ddr4 ram but this time on Win 10.
    In the morning i downloaded the game from steam to play it, but it crashes on startup: no error messages, tried to start from the .exe both 32 and 64 but nothing happened, even uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting main folder and reinstalling or rebooting pc worked.
    I attach my latest log file

Attached Files:

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

It seems you have a dedicated ATI video card. The actual ati driver is not compatible with the win 10 creators update. Downgrading to 16.11.4 should help (at least it's a version i found that is working)

~ Iris ~

3. AxelAlex360

Strange... i've updated AMD Radeon drivers through AMD ReLive where it says:

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.3 Highlights

• Support for Windows®10 Creators Update.
    • Support for Radeon RX 580 Series Graphics.
    • Support for Radeon RX 570 Series Graphics.

4. Iris Blanche

Another user with an amd card did the rollback and it worked for him. So it might be worth a try.

~ Iris ~

edelweissomega likes this.
  5. AxelAlex360

The problem is that only Starbound do this. If i do the rollback many other games won't work properly, (such as Minecraft or CS:GO and many other that have bad optimization with AMD)

6. Iris Blanche

Unfortunately it's a driver related issue with the creators update. Nvidia users doesn't seem to have any problems. :c Dunno how it is with integrated intel stuff. I guess reporting it to ati/amd could provide a better solution than a rollback.
    It's the only working workaround i can offer for now :c

Hm unless....Try disabling Game DVR and the Gaming mode which has been brought into win 10 with that update.

~ Iris ~

AxelAlex360 likes this.
  7. AxelAlex360

I just realized that i don't have the Creators update installed which build is 15063 while mine is 14393

EDIT: DVR disabled, and no gaming mode since i don't have the necessary update installed but still crashes on startup

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

if you're on steam try verifying the integrity of the game cache

9. AxelAlex360

This is so ironic: problem solved, i installed the creators update and Starbound has never been so good before

10. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

whats ironic about it is many ppl install it and can never play SB again (as long as they keep it)

11. Iris Blanche

Closing and marking as resolved.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

AxelAlex360 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.