1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starbound Side Stories 1.99

Adds new locations on planets and quests to existing dungeons.

1. Luminaesthesia

Luminaesthesia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Luminaesthesia submitted a new mod:

Starbound Side Stories - Adds new locations on planets and quests to existing dungeons.

Read more about this mod...

2. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

This mod seems interesting. ^.^

Just too bad it's only for unstable.. :C

Once/if it comes out for stable I will make sure to download it. ^.^

3. Retr0

Retr0 Pangalactic Porcupine

This is better than my own mods. :D Could you add some pictures in the description though? And does this mod add any physical objects into the game, such as new weapons and blocks? I would like to keep the game more vanilla if that would be fine.

4. Luminaesthesia

I also want to keep the game as vanilla as possible, or at least in the spirit of it. Here are the new items that are added:

Silver and Golden bug nets: just color swaps, so nothing game breaking
    Gold hoe: same, just a color swap
    Tax chest: a farmable chest that spits out pixels from the castle servant line. Should take a while to pay out, and usually gives about 1k pixels. Let me know if this is not balanced
    Mining Nodes: Gives out 10-15 of each ore after a long period of time, also let me know if this is overpowered.
    Hylotl Architects: Sells materials, let me know how the pricing is
    Pet bowls: You can only get one of each and they're meant to stay on the planet you found them on
    Chef and stim merchant recipes: as it says, also not really game breaking (I hope)
    Golden fishing rod: not yet implemented, but also just a color swap
    Alternate Wiz Clothes: not yet implemented, also color swap (inverted)
    New Boat tech: Not yet implemented, color swap

So yeah, only the mining nodes and tax chest are really issues, but I'm hoping to balance those enough that they're not. As I said, please leave any thoughts you have on how long the chest/nodes take to develop/how much they give out and I'll balance them as best as possible. And yeah, I'll work on getting some pictures up, but I'll probably wait until I get some good head way on stuff for the next update. As a little preview, this is what I have so far:

Avian patrol aspiring to be a cook in Avian villages
    Head of the Glitch Guard at Glitch villages
    The Floran chief in villages will offer quests
    A new Hylotl will show up in half of the igloo spawns
    Apex researcher in Apex towns

It's a little daunting, but my current goal is to get all friendly encounters in the base game a little quest line before the next stable hits. If anyone has any suggestions for quest lines or places they'd like to see a quest giver, just leave a reply!

5. Crisium

Crisium Cosmic Narwhal

I have not tried this mod, but I have to say it looks really cool I hope you keep at it and they update stable soon. Great mod idea Brah.

6. Hen

Hen Big Damn Hero

I love the idea of your mod. Sadly, I still didn't find any of the new place, but I'm looking forward to it. After I find some, will they be the only one of there kind, or can they repeat?

Edit: Shame on me, after looking at the next lush planet i found a miner guy. And his story sound very plausible to find more mines. But there is the next question:
    He asked me, to build a house. I didn't, but I got the reward for it. Can the game identify buildings?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. Luminaesthesia

No, it can't, and I need to specify that on the main page. The game really can't tell if you build stuff, and so that is an issue, but one I can't really alleviate given the game's current code. The design choice to let the player just take the stuff and run was kind of a hard one, but I'm hoping people who download this mod want to roleplay a tiny bit, and have a reason to stay on a planet, and thus taking the challenge upon themselves to build. Plus I think it's kind of fun, you can make the structures as crazy or as simple as you want, it's up to you as a builder. So yeah, there's no way to tell if you build stuff or not, but I hope players do, because it helps make the universe feel more like THEIR universe as opposed to just a randomly generated one.

All of the dungeons are in the random generator, so there's a chance of seeing them again. Also a tough design decision, getting them to spawn enough so that they're slightly unique but still common enough to find. You can only do the quest line once though, although you can turn in the quests to any of the NPCs you find (any novakid miner will take quests from other novakid miners). Hope you enjoy, I should be done with a large update by tomorrow!

8. Luminaesthesia

Luminaesthesia updated Starbound Side Stories with a new update entry:

Ancient Dungeons and more!

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. Retr0

Hi again! Just an opinion: I feel like the dungeons are kind of plain and need moar deco. I may be the only one that thinks this. If you could teach me how to make generated structures I could help put a little bit more deco in each dungeon. :D

10. Luminaesthesia

I could certainly do that. The mine is supposed to be really bare before you put any of your own stuff in, but the farmer and bug catcher need some work. Any suggestions for what you'd like to see? I'll also be adding little holograms to the ancient dungeons that will signify which tech you need to get through.

11. Retr0

I dunno, maybe there can be some more block diversity in the background.
    Like give the background some patterns or texture. :)
    [​IMG]
    I may be asking to much so you don't have to do it if you don't want to

12. SilverDarkBlade

SilverDarkBlade Subatomic Cosmonaut

how would i spawn a npc. i accidentally killed the glitch blacksmith on a planet i quite like. i want to use /admin to spawn another one. i don't mind having to progress through the quests

13. maranor

maranor Void-Bound Voyager

Finally, someone with this idea! Great mod, thanks for making it! :party:

Btw, did you see by any chance see my suggestion thread: Backstories? There are some ideas that maybe could help :nod:

14. enceos

enceos Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you Lumi for this mod, I can't describe how awesome this is. If ever developers notice it, I think they surely will put this idea on their ToDo list.
    It immensely enhances the exploring part of this game. The idea to place questgivers randomly around the universe, not just the outpost is so simple yet so cool!
    Love you Lumi! So much work was done in constructing all of this. Hope the adaptation with "Lined" will make it easier to design new stuff in future. Tell me if I can help with anything.

15. Luminaesthesia

Hurray for stable!

enceos likes this.
  16. kthxbyeq

kthxbyeq Void-Bound Voyager

I love your mod ! It adds a lot to the immersion; I don't feel like I'm alone in the universe anymore.
    I hope the devs will notice this, you have really good ideas.

Scion likes this.
  17. Scion

Scion Void-Bound Voyager

Fantastic mod. The extra quests are much appreciated. Please keep the gook work coming!

18. Luminaesthesia

Ancient Stars

19. DarkerCloud

DarkerCloud Big Damn Hero

Are any of the quests repeatable?

20. KridOCaign

KridOCaign Void-Bound Voyager

I'm trying to figure out how to get the suit to go to Ancient planets, but I'm not finding any clues anywhere.