Dev Blog Starbound v1.1 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Checking terrestrial_worlds.config, I see that they have as much of a chance to appear on the non-special worlds as any other species. As in, on all worlds but gardens, oceans, toxic, arctic, magma, moon, barren, and tentacle, they may appear as likely as any other. Unlike for example the florans who appear on all non-special worlds but moreso in forests. Since there's no quest-related reason to find a novakid village, they need not such a guarantee.

Axe Garian and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  2. SapphrieSnowfall

SapphrieSnowfall Void-Bound Voyager

You wish for me to travel to the depths of the core of a magma planet? To locate a mythical black hole (which I wish were in the game so bad)? To find a vortex to a universe where physics don't exist and where monsters of myth and legend roam?

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Liavain_Axon

Liavain_Axon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds like you'd like Frackin' Universe. :3

Axe Garian, Ankali and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  4. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I guess I'll be slaying every fish I catch, as even Raw fish Drops are more valuable to me than an Aquatic Pet.
    I'm arguing whether my next build should be dual daggers or dagger+shield. Which would be more fun/more powerful? I already have a 1h Sword+Shield/Broadsword build going on right now.
    That's really creepy, especially coming from a Furry.
    If he's to be punished for anything(if he's to blame to begin with), it's releasing 1.1 too soon and too lackluster without making 1.1 more content rich over the next few months first.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Believe it or not, shield+machine pistol or pistol is really good for crowd control. The knockback of axe weapons also make them viable for crowd control, but you have to time it right with the windup.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

nah, already did a dual machine pistol build with my main. not going to touch pistols or machine pistols anymore(unless they add postgame content or a mod adds postgame content), and I hate the windup on axes/hammers(because if you don't hold click long enough, you fail to attack at all, leaving you completely open), personaly i'd prefer a weaker axe/hammer attack than a "failure to attack" mechanism upon insufficient windup.(because sometimes you don't have the time or the ground to lose to wind up any further before you take another hit)

Again, my choices are between either Dual Daggers or Dagger+Shield(depending on which is more fun/powerful). Might also try a Sniper build and maybe an Assault Rifle build if either or both are viable for gameplay at all. I still have yet to do a thrown build and a "nothing but legendaries" build(because of all the legendary weapons that don't have a weapon type that i collected) to do.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Nancok

Nancok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hahaha that aapex is eally happy while burning those poor Fluffalos:nuruneutral:

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Buddy... you don't know from creepy. :nuruevil:

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

Dude, I've noticed that you're using both Earth's Finest and Frackin Universe (and a whole lot of mods). These two mods significantly touch crew members code, I suspect both even implement some lua scripts. Have you tried to create a new universe in vanilla? I know it would be a lot of work, but this bug is either happening at some very low level, where logs weren't enabled by the developers, or it is some sort of conflict between mods.

Has anyone else experienced this bug while playing the vanilla game (absolutely no mods installed)?

Also, I think that people reporting this bug should also report these pieces of information together with your .log files:

1. Whether that's happening in a local game or if it is happening in a server-hosted game. (sometimes, bad connection can cause all sort of bugs, specially if it's a UDP connection instead of a TCP one, which I think it is the case for this game).

2. What are you doing when the bug happens? Be very, very specific, like "I was on my ship and as I tried to teleport to the planet 'X' (coordinates and planet type, if possible), I had my mechanic/engineer/warrior duplicate. I had three crew members (specify which ones) with me, and the bug happened as soon as we set foot on the planet". If you can recall your last actions before the bug, it might help as well.

3. If possible, indicate precisely where you are (which kind of planet you're on, or if you are in the ship or on the Outpost).

4. Whether you have any mod installed and which ones.

5. Give a detailed report of you machine specs (if possible, use the OS generated one). It might help the developers see a pattern with those suffering the bug.

6. Also, if you have the time and patience to do it, organize a bug hunting session yourself! Set a day to test different situations in which the bug might arise, disabling mods first, then trying a local game if you're used to play on servers. Write down your results. As anyone who's programmed before knows, bug hunting is the most difficult task of all and they need all the information they can get to try to pinpoint where the problem is.

Also, be sensible to the fact that a typical game will use thousands and thousands of code words, and that a misplaced letter or punctuation might not get reported by the compiler, but still cause trouble. These are the most difficult bugs to find, so they require a lot of information to try to rule out all other hypotheses.

To ease the developers' work, these are the unusual things I've found on this report:

Line 75: [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'
    Several, several Lines (starting on line 161): PNG error in file: 'PNG error in file: 'PNG err', iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.
    Starting on Line 658: [Error] Could not instantiate item '[cryogenicsample, 1, {}]'. (ItemException) No such item 'cryogenicsample'.

>>> Lines 680, 755, 902, 1246, 1306, 1677 and many others: [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /quests/generated/pools/guardthemes.config, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /quests/generated/pools/guardthemes.config. This entry is followed by several entries of technobabble, seemingly related to the guardthemes.config bug.

>>> A similar issue happened in the following lines (lines 962, 1037, 1184, 1982, 2242, 3994, 4507 and many more): [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /quests/generated/pools/buildingthemes.config, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /quests/generated/pools/buildingthemes.config

The bugs highlighted with the >>> did not happen all the time though, they both seemingly happened at random, as soon as one of the players tried to teleport to a Celestial World, whatever that means. But not all teleportation attempts were followed by this bug. Some players attempted to teleport to the planet and succeeded without an error being reported.

Here is a typical execution sequence that happened previous to the error entries:

[Info] UniverseServer: Warping player 3 to CelestialWorld:173995461:632608767:-21383601:6=de8c8554717b05aa7a5bf3dc4764c958
    [Debug] PNG error in file: 'PNG error in file: 'PNG err', iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    [Debug] PNG error in file: 'PNG error in file: 'PNG err', iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    [Info] UniverseServer: Stopping idle world ClientShipWorld:81bb4a9118d8bf566d8ff8764540835b
    [Debug] WorldServer: periodic sync to disk of world ClientShipWorld:c49a46dcb0edcb0104125cc5f22286bf
    [Info] Quest generator broke: [string "/scripts/questgen/pools.lua"]:188: (AssetException) Error loading asset /quests/generated/pools/guardthemes.config

In that same report, here is a sequence that does not report this error:

[Info] UniverseServer: Warping player 2 to CelestialWorld:93849408:-829712652:-74597613:10
    [Info] UniverseServer: Stopping idle world ClientShipWorld:c49a46dcb0edcb0104125cc5f22286bf
    [Debug] UniverseServer: periodic sync to disk
    [Info] UniverseServer: Loading client ship world ClientShipWorld:c49a46dcb0edcb0104125cc5f22286bf
    [Info] UniverseServer: Warping player 2 to ClientShipWorld:c49a46dcb0edcb0104125cc5f22286bf
    [Info] UniverseServer: Stopping idle world CelestialWorld:93849408:-829712652:-74597613:10

Sometimes, it seems to report the error several times in a row before resuming normal reports.

I strongly believe this might be the source of the bug, although I'm merely speculating here. It is randomly happening just after teleportation to a planet and the exception code seems to be running into a loop sometimes. It might be that the real problem is the unwinding of the stack caused by the exception code, and not the reported .config exception.

There are also a lot of syncs to disk when you're teleporting to and from a planet. How much free space do you have on your HD? Do you have admin privileges on your machine?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
    Axe Garian, Flake13, Preday and 2 others like this.
  10. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I've seen the dark side of FurAffinity, with all of it's Fetishes, as I used to creep it's darkest corners. I can probably think of worse than what it offers, but I can't go into details in this forum or I'd get banned.

L3W, Rukrio, Kawa and 1 other person like this.
  11. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

So at this point : anyone else had / have the Collection Bugs / Action Figures bug ? Still can't collect them in the book. Only those 2 categories, food and other stuff are ok

Tried new char, admin mode, etc etc, still not working :S

Well, that would be pretty awesome to do ! To infinity and beyooooooooooond

ps : btw Human camps ( full of tents ) and Novakid saloons are out there - don't look for them, just explore and those will show up ! Tested and approved

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Dungeon frequency chart for those wondering.

[​IMG]

Keep a copy handy, y'all.

Now, this assumes no mods. No Frackin' whatever, no nothing. And as you can see, humans and novakids have no particular high-chance biome. Whereas for example hylotl are guaranteed on ocean biomes by virtue of being the only choice.

13. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I'd personally search desert, savannah, snow(temperate star), alien, midnight and scorched city planets for the highest chance of humans and novakids, but still search forest, jungle, tundra and volcanic planets as there's still a chance for them to be found on those planets(i found a human camp on a forest planet one time).

Question: Is "Mutated"(in radioactive star) Planets the same as Alien?

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. L3W

L3W Ketchup Robot

I think shields are worthless imo. If only they had some abilities like shield bashing or elemental reflection, then I would definitely use them. I think for me two-handed weapons are much more worth my time instead of a one-handed weapon and a shield. Not to mention two-handed weapons in general are simply more interesting than anything one-handed imo.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think mutated ARE alien planets. IIRC, the cockpit description says something along the lines of "this mutated planet has weird alien life" or some-such.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I think both 2 Handers and 1h+Shield is viable, as 2 Handers both have 3-hit combo and special, but only hit forward and no blocking; while 1h+shield can hit upward and downward, but only 2-hit combo(less dps but more defence/block invincibility with 1h+shield). always remember to face the enemy by pointing/rotating your mouse cursor toward them if you're gonna use 1h+shield, and always pull out your shield earlier than you would think(before they attack you).

17. L3W

L3W Ketchup Robot

Is it known~ It's just I don't really bother with them. I think of them more as a cosmetic piece of equipment for role playing. I still like to sprite shields though, but I find them being paired with one-handed swords to be really boring combat wise imo. I wish one-handed swords had unique abilities like two-handed swords and not just a swoosh change.

18. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I can see why it would be boring as it has lower dps than a broadsword, making for a slower(defensive as opposed to offensive) fight. But let's not derail this as I've discovered some new things in the latest nightly that I can't talk about here(or CF will yell at me). I do, however wish to provide feedback on said nightly though, but don't know where to provide it, if I should provide any at all.

Also: I still have yet to craft a Fishing Rod, as all of my Titanium seems to have gone toward upgrading Crafting Stations just so I can get Pioneer Armour and Tungsten Platforms for my Ship.(Still need to find an Apex[Miniknog] Lab/Facility that has tungsten platforms)

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I don't understand why the Axes even operate by the Wind-Up System. :(

Yup. When looking through the Planet Info for a Alien Planet, "Mutated" is that Planet Biome's Keyword.

Agreed. I as an Axe Lover feel like I have no choice but to 'Axe Loadout' as 1-H Axe + Nanowrap Bandage Stack... & the Axe's Windup Mechanic can't quit feeling idiotic & crap DPS. What the hell are Axe Recipes doing to these 1-H Axes, sticking a crapton of Lead in them to make them all weigh 70+ Pounds when a more reasonable Weight for a 1-H Axe would maybe be no more then 10ish Pounds? :wtf:

(& are 2-H Axes non-existent because the amount of Lead a 2-H Axe could hold would make its Weight unliftably heavy or something? Arceus I wish I could Mod & Sprite worth a damn & have the RL Time for it... IMHO Hammers really probably are that heavy to use the Windup Mechanic & everything else should use the Windup Mechanic only as part of a Special Attack Mechanic storing power to Unleash Damage many times the power of a standard hit.)

Ya've never used Spears before, have ya? Spears CAN Stab in all directions.

20. Liavain_Axon

Liavain_Axon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It has been documented on Steam that it happens without those two mods as well.

I'll go ahead and start then. :3

1. It happens in multiplayer and in solo mode.
    2. It's happened both teleporting to a planet and teleporting to my ship, if I don't have a crewmember following me. It seems to happen primarily when going to my ship, but if it doesn't, it will happen on the next planet I go to. The bug duplicates my entire crew, not just a few.
    3. Mentioned in #2
    4. Mods were listed in my log file.
    5. Here's a link to my most recent Dxdiag- http://pastebin.com/UnqJxp0c
    6. I'd do it but whenever I mess with mods, it pisses off my family. :rofl:

This has actually been found to be caused by Frackin Universe and fixed in the current version.

"Celestial World" just seems to be the name of any planet a player goes to.

Syncing to disk is just when the game saves. In debug mode it is just more apparent. :3 Free space is a couple hundred gigs and I have admin privileges.

Axe Garian and Jareix Cryvix like this.