Dev Blog Starbound v1.1 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 8, 2016.

1. 5future

5future Scruffy Nerf-Herder

mechas are there, abandoned within game files, please, make them vehicles!!!

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

They are vehicles.

3. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I have used spears before, but I'm saving it for a backup playthrough incase staves/wands doesn't go so well.
    Also: I'd love for Axes to not have Wind Up(I heard they didn't used to have wind up in alpha/beta).
    It'd be interesting though to see weapons with a 0.1-0.8 firing rate/attack speed though, but i've already noticed a slight lag before the actual attack starts(first shot) for weapons that use 0.9 attack speed(like the first shot of a rocket launcher, which shouldn't lag/cd until after the first shot).

When I was a Noob at Starbound Fishing, I asked Questions on Forums, but then I found Wiki:
    I just caught 3-4 kinds/types of fish on my ocean planet(but got like 10-12 raw fish and some pixels after slaying them all). What's generally the progression of fishing before I should move on to:
    A. A different Ocean Planet.
    B. The better fishing Rod.
    C. A different type of Ocean Planet(Magma, Toxic, Arctic).
    D. until I get a better Lure/Bait.
    E. until my collection book says I got a Rare/Legendary from the planet I'm on.
    F. until I fill a certain quota of unique fish(I have 3-4 so far, with about 6-8 duplicates, and all I'm seeing is duplicates from now on for the most part).

Perhaps weather/time of day influences potential catches?

I just want to know when it's time to move on to another planet/fishing rod and the general progression of which order the planet types/fishing rods/lures/baits go.

Edit: Wiki tells me much of what I need to know:
    1. 12 fish per planet: 3 common, 4 uncommon, 4 rare, 1 legendary, 48 total overall.
    2. uncommon+ fish have a chance to drop lures/reels.
    3. the better fishing rod is for fishing on toxic/magma planets, and possibly arctic?(if it's needed)
    4. fish catches are influenced by planet, whether it's day/night and depth of lure. weather doesn't matter.
    5. Tip: You can move your lure(aside from reeling it in, even down) after it's cast. I've never seen this before in any other game that has fishing.(i've played WoW, Terraria, Minecraft and Ocarina of Time Fishing)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Axe Garian likes this.
  4. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

Liavain_Axon, I'm interested in helping find what's causing this bug, even though I've never experienced it myself. I've started a bug hunting session in this thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/...n-is-on-lets-find-the-duplication-bug.124201/.

If you know anyone else who is experiencing this bug, please tell them about this thread and encourages them to participate in the hunt. I think I have a lead, as you've quoted. It fits the pattern, but to be sure, we need to confirm it happens with everyone experiencing this bug.

Off the topic, you sure don't have any problem with your hardware.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I personally confirm & vouch for this, that Axes in Alpha & Beta did indeed swing normally then & could swing in any Direction we desired. Also back then during the time, pre-Right Click Special Attacks, it was balanced that Swords had the fastest swing speed but lowest damage, Hammers had the highest damage but slowest swing speed, & Axes were in between in both stats. I like now that Axes have the highest Base Damage of the 1-H Weapons but the Wind Up Mechanic on them & the 2-H Axes being flat out Fragged outta the game were both completely out-of-line!

6. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

Grrrrr, this damn collection bug is annoying... Alongside the Bugs & Action Figures, I can't collect in the pets codex the " Snuffish " ( http://starbounder.org/Snuffish ) - I have captured all the other Pets , missing only that one and the Hypnare ( this one still need to find it )

Tried also to cap it in the Pagoda mission... and obviously no pet added in the collection :S

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

I may have found a solution to the problem, but I can't test it as I don't suffer from it myself. But you may try it, with a bit luck it helps you.
    Download my NPCKiller Mod, then follow these instructions:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/761746889/343786745999408953/

It is a crude hack, but maybe you are lucky and it works as an intermediate fix.
    Also please tell me if it did indeed work or not, then I might work on a more elegant version of my npc killer.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

I accidentally noticed today that a pet I captured earlier was added to another character's collection when I picked it up. However, this does not work for the creatures I captured in 1.0.
    Will this still be addressed? And have the fossils been changed in any way yet?

Thanks.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Gotcha!

On another note: I am trying my hand at fishing and fishing on a toxic planet is absolutely nightmarish.
    Creating a roof over your head to block the rain doesn't help since when you're fishing the camera focuses on the bait, making the rain drop on your head offscreen anyway.
    I've dug through an island, created a gap in the bottom to fish from, plugged the whole hole above my head with the mud I dug out earlier and... it doesn't matter.

This desperately needs looking into. It wouldn't be much of a problem if it didn't rain 99% of the time on these planets.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

Consarn it! One day though...

11. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

I'm sure someone can make a mod for it

12. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

What about Daggers?
    Try the Poison Resist Augment. It allowed me to swim in the Toxic waters, and should probably make you immune to Toxic Rain now as well. If you've beaten the game before on your first character(main) then Lana Blake can sell them to your alts(second, third characters) at the outpost(you might have to wait irl days if she doesn't sell the right ones, or you can try the everlana or complete augment list at lana mods)

Edit: Also, does the Fire Resist Augment help with Magma Swimming(or are there any Augments that help me swim in lava)?

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Gotcha!

It's a decent workaround I guess.
    About the magma swimming, just tried it. Although you don't catch the on-fire debuff, you receive a lot of contact damage anyway and die in seconds.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

Yeah, I noticed that the Burn Resist Spray/Potion from the Apothecary did the same effect when I tried to swim in lava. Fire Resist/Electric Resist/Freeze Resist is useless to me if it's not used for environmental effects, since the elemental damage effects, bonuses, deadliness, weaknesses and warnings aren't as apparent in this game.(like "some mobs take half to 1/4 damage against certain elements or double damage against certain elements" mechanic not existing)

It just seems that Armour Bonuses provide far more influence over damage than anything else in the game, even the weapon itself, and elemental resistances/weaknesses, which probably isn't a good idea(as 500%-600% damage dealt can break scaling in comparison toward 100%-200% scaling, making expansion to higher tiers more gamebreaking and making the player overpowered in damage dealing if they were to equip even slightly* better/T7-10 armour).

*by slightly I mean give no more than about 15%-50% damage bonus total per Tier of armour(spread/divided across 3 pieces) above Tier 6(even though most tier upgrades give 75%-100% above last tier).

I would recommend that weapons be the main influence for damage instead, but that would mean that some weapons are obviously better than others(which isn't a problem since inferior randoms are already vendored, but would only be a problem for legendaries and uniques), but that would just mean inclusion of tiered uniques(which means more items in the item pool, which means more items to play with = more loot = more fun!)

I've also noticed that critical hits, headshots and dodge rolls(dodge chance, not an actual rolling ability) are non-existent as well. And it seems there are very few AoEs that do Heals over Time(aside from the Status Pod Capsule) or AoEs that trigger other AoEs(Cluster Bombs). Another nice thing would be an Arcing Beam weapon(like Terraria's Aqua Sceptre and Golden Shower), plus petrification effects, more slow effects inflicted from weapons/spells and mobs, Explosives that don't damage tiles, spread shot or machinegun weapons that have ricochet projectiles, melee weapons(swords/spears) that pierce through tiles, etc.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Axe Garian and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  15. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Actually, if you look in my suggestion to post ruin content, any and all armor found after tier6 only provides additional protection, and can only be found. Weapons found on high level planets on the other hand, are much more effective in killing things, so while you have about the same survivability as a rat in a starving hobo's mouth, you can at least do enough damage to keep enemies at bay.

Anuril and Axe Garian like this.
  16. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I never messed with Daggers in Beta so can't speak on that one.

I've had the same results in that regard so I don't bother with the Burn Healing Item thingie, I can just heal through the Burn Damage with my Nanowrap Bandages & save a Hotbar Slot.

Fixed. :p

Speaking of T6 RNG Weapons... is it just me or does it seem like no Legendary Weapon in the game can compete with the damage of a T6 RNG Weapon that got a lucky high roll on the Attack Damage Stat? :unsure:

Gotcha! and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  17. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

I just want a way to swim in lava so I can explore the magma planets more easily for chests and fishing and stuff.(also, can't fish in meteor storm without killing ruin first)
    I fought T7 Enemies with Dual T6 Rare Machine Pistols in the latest nightly, and they died far too quickly. At least they did notable damage to me.(they could use a +10-30% damage dealing buff in number against T6/Solarium armour wearers though) it was in one of the new rooms they added in the september 14 nightly(which to me seemed like a test room in the form of a challenge room) - Hoping that CF doesn't yell at me for spoilers.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  18. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I noticed the "copperladder" in the assets. If you place it, you have no image. It isn't hard to see why. There is no render template and no render parameters. Also it drops "copperplatform" instead of itself. So I'm going to guess this isn't actually ready yet - at least as of 1.10 stable.

Now I did notice some attributes I hadn't noticed elsewhere before. Hmm. I guess you have plans for this and maybe I should check nightly. Are we getting... climbing? Because that interests me. I'd like to see being able to climb hanging vines too.

19. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

So... you're suggesting the game's too easy so Monsters should always 2 shot us no matter what so to hell with me & peeps like me that are not leet ninjas...? :( (& do ya suggest that Bosses should always Insta-Gib us with their hits so any of us like me that can't dodge 110% of their attacks should be totally fucked for hope of ever being able to beat the game? :()

20. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

no, not at all. I didn't know you were having trouble by the time you reached tier 6. I'm not suggesting a widespread buff to everything, just a buff to the T7(Tier 7 Only, which isn't in vanilla yet) minion monsters(especially their mitigation/hp/defence since they're easily killed by my rare machine pistol duo). I'm just saying that it felt like they buffed the bosses last time I checked in the sept 14 nightly(which I had no control over).

Edit: if you want to test for yourself, load the latest nightly, load up the /admin, and type: "/warp instanceworld:challengetrials" (if it's still there), and fight the green/purple bat thingys that are tier 7.

Guide: Opt into betas to get nightly on the unstable version of Starbound or else you'll just play unstable(which is the same as vanilla). Then copy the Player and universe folder from main starbound into the unstable starbound's storage folder in order to import your Tier 6 Character(or just do it the hard way and use admin commands to complete every mission and spawn in the gear you need).

Reddit: I'm not sure, but I think they already buffed the monsters since I last fought them on Sept 14. Just fought them today and they seem somewhat more balanced, although slightly on the easier side of balanced than harder. Still, I would recommend trying them out for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Axe Garian likes this.