Starfish Hat

Discussion in 'Create-A-Hat' started by Emberleaf, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Emberleaf

Emberleaf Subatomic Cosmonaut

(Hi! I'm Emberleaf, back from the dead to participate in this contest. When I lose/win I'll probably drift back off into inactivity. So it goes, unfortunately.)

You are on a massive watery planet. The ocean looms deep and blue; the monsters nip at your feet, getting a laser in the face as thanks for their troubles. The loot is what you want. You jump into the ocean; your diving helmet provides you with the precious air you need to keep going. You shine your waterproof flashlight, looking around for the loot. A light shines in the distance; thinking it might be your treasure, you walk into a monster. You fight ferociously (well, actually, you just shoot it twice and it dies), and its glowing head flies off in a random direction. You see something where its head landed...you come closer...it could be....it might be! Unfortunately, it's not the undersea treasure castle you were looking for. It's just a green starfish that's trying desperately to swim away. You look at the description, wondering what you can use it for:
    Starfish hat: A rare seaweed-colored starfish. It can be worn on your head.
    You find that redundant and start putting it on. As you drag the hat to your head, a monster appears out of nowhere, and suddenly...

BOOM, you're dead, and for all of that all you got was some random starfish hat. May as well wear it.

The Starfish Hat is purely cosmetic and serves no "purpose", though it looks cool (or kinda stupid, depending on how you look at putting star-shaped fish on your head.) The top of it serves as a hairnet and your hair color can be seen through it. When you take it off, your hairstyle will be wacky and have a few patches of baldness (starfish need to eat too!), taking a long time to go back to normal. The best (or worst, if you actually plan on keeping it) part about this unfortunate hat is that it will attempt to swim away when underwater. It does this by shooting out a bubble animation, carrying you a bit upward, and then doing another bubble animation, breaking away from your head and swimming away crazily. Luckily, it's not too fast, so you can recapture your precious starfish before it ends up in a shark's mouth. (This could be done by, when it goes underwater, de-equipping the hat and making it into an entity in the world again.

That's my entry. I'm not too good with pixels, and this took a horrendously long time to make for such a simple thing. (Its simplicity is what makes it what it is, though. Everyone else is coming up with all of these fancy, high-tech hats that may as well be weapons. This goes back to the simplicity that fits with early days on Starbound's many planets, a hat you wear simply to impress your friends or get an easy laugh. It's just that: a hat.)

Anyways, here it is, to scale: Starbound Hat.png
    Without the guy: Starbound Hat Without Guy.png

gangrene and Neonova like this.
  2. Neonova

Neonova Big Damn Hero

A little sharp, but it can damage the enemies! I liked!

3. Emberleaf

Revised my simple little hat. This will probably be the final edit.

4. Emberleaf

Umm, why isn't this closed?
    Well, since it's open, I'll use my remaining time to make a few changes to the hat.