1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Stargazer's Dream! V1.4.8

Who thought that flying was a bad idea?

1. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

2. Dewritos

Dewritos Aquatic Astronaut

It works now!Thanks for the update but i dont get the wings or the flying animation on my avian account

3. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Welp that's weird

4. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

C0bra5 updated Stargazer's Dream! with a new update entry:

Colors And Improvements

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

@Dewritos
    It should be fixed.

6. Dewritos

Dewritos Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you

7. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

What you did inspired me to put my techs in the game by a similar method. I'm glad that people don't have to use admin commands and I don't have to put together a quest. Also pleased that new and current characters benefit. But I modified your method a bit.

1. I patched /interface/scripted/techupgrade/techupgradegui.config instead of player.config - there's a higher risk of countless other mod authors over-writing the file wholesale rather than patching it properly. player.config is too tempting for novice modders so I chose a better target... a more directly related target anyhow.
    2. Like you where doing with player.config, I check for a path and add it if not present
    3. I added my techs to that path - like you.
    4. I added an extra script to /scripts/
    5. The key difference is that I didn't replace techupgradegui.lua, but rather I hooked it.

If more than one person tried your exact method then you'd have the issue of wanting to replace the same script and thus a conflict. Plus replacing vanilla scripts carries the risk of breaking things later should Chucklefish change that script in a meaningful way. My modification to your method sidesteps both problems. You might consider switching to what I did at the next update. But even if you don't, my tech mod will be compatible with yours(or any) so no skin off my back.

9. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

i'm intrigued on how you hooked the script as when i tryed to do that it would result in the init of the vanilla script never being executed, but as for the replacement of the vanilla script i am well aware of it's implications, but i can't find a way to fix it. i also used to modify the tech upgrade config gui, but since i wanted to make the tech adding thing some form of library for modders to use, i thought that patching the the player.config would be easier/more intuitive since it is patched 99% of the time. it also meant that there would be less chances that they would break the tech gui extender patch.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well to hook it. As I said I added a script to run. And I count on the fact that patching adds me after what's there already. Here's my patch file.
    Code:
    [
        [
            {
                "op" : "test",
                "path" : "/modTech",
                "inverse" : true
            },
            {
                "op" : "add",
                "path" : "/modTech",
                "value" : []
            }
        ],
        [
            {
                "path" : "/modTech/-",
                "value" : "bk3k_dash"
            },
        {
                "value" : "bk3k_doubleDash"
            },
            {
                "value" : "bk3k_insaneDash"
            },
            {
                "value" : "bk3k_ftlboost"
            },
            {
                "value" : "bk3k_multijump"
            },
            {
                "path" : "/scripts/-",
                "value" : "/interface/scripted/techupgrade/bk3k_addTechs.lua"
            }
        ]
    ]

Putting my handle in the script's filename means no one is going to over-write that name. bk3k_addTechs.lua is nothing more than

Code:
    addTechs_init = init
    --I'm copying whatever init function existed before, redefining it, running my own,
      --and finally running whatever was there before

function init()
      for _, addedTech in ipairs(config.getParameter("modTech")) do
        player.makeTechAvailable(addedTech)
      end

addTechs_init()
    end

11. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

I ended up just checking your mod and I did what you did, but made it a bit more modular so that my goal of turning this part of the mod into a library/modding resource can be easily achieved and used by begeinners. I should have it ready before the end of the day. it's ready for release but i want to finish my tier 8 ship for my pony modpack because i just keep pushing it back and today is the day where i finally do it, or at least force my self to stop being lazy.

bk3k likes this.
  12. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Oh the struggle I know. I haven't yet updated the shipyard rebuilt mod to 1.0+ - at least officially. I don't have any great excuse but... hey is that a squirrel?!

13. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

Brilliant mod!

14. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

15. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

16. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

What are the extra keybindings for? Tech 2 and Tech 3?

17. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

they aren't actually functional as of now, i need to update the mod. but they need to be set mually

18. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

19. skavak

skavak Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, this is very good mod, but can you make similar mod with flight controlling like an airpod (keys control movement, stay while holding spacebar ).
    Sorry for my english.
    Привет, мод очень хороший, но ты можешь сделать похожий мод с управлением полетом как у шаттлов( управление движением клавиатурой, стоять пока удерживаешь пробел)

jonathonspy likes this.