Style for Blueprints?

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Blackwood, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Blackwood

Blackwood Phantasmal Quasar

So, apparently there are two ways of making blueprints:

#1 - Create a blueprint item page just like a normal item page and link to it via {{name}}
    #2 - Use {{Blueprint}} which links directly to the crafted item's page, i.e., no specific blueprint page.

The former seems to be in common use throughout the wiki and the latter only appears on a few pages which were edited some time ago. Is the current preference to use style #1 or should new lists (like in treasure chests) use #2.

I checked the wiki guides and no mention is made of the preferred style by the community.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

So blueprint pages have been an issue for a while, but we've never setup a formal wiki policy on how to address them.

My opinion on blueprint pages is that they're pretty functionally redundant. The object/item main article lists the crafting recipe, where the blueprint is found/recipe is unlocked and any other relevant details. Blueprint pages are just an extra page with essentially the same information. I think there's some value to blueprint item icons since in drop lists it's nice to show blueprints when they're appropriate - there's actually a blueprint template which will show the blueprint icon instead of the regular icon and list the item as a blueprint but link to the main article page for those instances (example).

I'd personally like to remove any blueprint pages, redirect them to the main articles and continue to do so as new ones get made. It's way too much work to maintain details for the same item/recipe on two pages and confusing for people who are looking for something to be led to two different pages. What do you think?

3. Blackwood

Not a problem. I'll spend some time today & tomorrow to run a search all for blueprint in the page texts and switch over to {{Blueprint}}. I'll also tag those pages for deletion. Can you edit (I don't think I have permissions to do so) the help/guide/projects to indicate that {{Blueprint}} is the preferred style and that to provide an image you simply need to upload ITEMNAME_Blueprint_Icon.png?

Edit: I know the redirect is easier, but it is what made things confusing in the first place. I'd rather spend the time doing the harder clean-up now to prevent this from cropping up again in the future.

4. Katzeus

Sounds good, I can update the template page with those details too. You should have permissions to edit in Guide/Help/Project namespaces, check again and let me know if you can't edit them. Sorry you setup those pages initially because things hadn't been clarified.

I'm in agreement that deletion is a better solution, I'll do a sweep and clean them out. Thanks!

5. Blackwood

Katzeus, I've added a cleanup page here: http://starbounder.org/Project/Blueprint_Cleanup#Project_Tracker

In it I've a list of all objectnames that have discoverable recipes. However, I need a quick way to dump the Short Descriptions. I don't suppose you can dump that to text from the Data namespace and send it to me? I'll then edit the project's tracker to include all wiki pages and icons so we can see the overall progress. If not, I'll look for another solution.

Also, it looks like I've marked all ITEMNAME Blueprint pages that need it for deletion. So, feel free to begin that first pass.

6. Katzeus

Awesome, I just posted in the talk page for the project.

I could actually come up with a semantic query right on the page and save you a bunch of time, give me a few mins....let me see what I can do.

EDIT: Template is setup, go ahead and take a look at those first two entries in the table. Enter that template, it will display object/itemname, the article, and if it has a blueprint icon it'll display it (so we can verify image quality as well, if not it'll be blank). What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  7. Blackwood

That's perfect. I'll convert the table to use the cleanup template.

8. Katzeus

Cool!

Also, when updating chest pages what do you think of this format? The table class is litegametable, that should be all you need to place the blueprint list inside - it looks way better than the old wikitable styling

9. Blackwood

That does seem better than the brighter gray we used to have.

Katzeus likes this.
  10. Blackwood

Katzeus,

Could you confirm if the template's script is complete upon running? Some of the items have blueprints but the template shows a blank indicating that it doesn't. That or my browser is not displaying everything. To see an example look at the Flesh and Cell-related items towards the bottom of the list and then look at the pages for the Flesh and Cell chests.

11. Katzeus

Yeah, I saw that - should be fixed and the tagged pages have all been deleted now as well.

12. Blackwood

Odd, I'm still seeing it even after I clear my browser's cache.

I've attached screenshots of what I am seeing & the discrepancy. As you can see all three chests, which are using {{blueprint}}, show the existing icon of the blueprint items.

But when you looking at {{blueprintcleanup}} it doesn't show.

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 13.22.26.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 13.23.54.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 13.24.00.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 13.24.04.png