1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Support for the Terrene Protectorate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Combozone, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Oh my, a fictional story isn't 100% realistic and instead follows a certain premise, whatever shall we do? It's almost like Starbound devs intended for Earth's destruction to result in humanity being scattered across the universe, and built the story around that, and then came up with in-universe reasons as to why that were the case! Gasp!

If Earth's destruction only resulted in humanity going to Mars instead, with all the organizations fully intact - it would be simply bland. What's the point of Earth being destroyed if humanity just immediately moved to Earth 2.0 and carried on as if nothing happened? I suppose @M_Sipher's ideas of new colonies being created or some distant colonies missing the census would work well - because it simply expands on the setting instead of directly contradicting what we already have. But other than that?

I'd say the story wasn't bad at all, and that you guys just like to complain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    STCW262 likes this.
  2. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

Where did you get anything about staying in one place...? I explocitly said quite the opposite, actually. Humans would naturally scatter themselves all throughout the galaxy, each small group looking to claim a planet for their own. While the in-game census says most sedentary humans were lost, we have no idra how many uncounted billions might be roaming the stars, and in fact we find hundreds upon hundreds in our journey alone.
    The only exception to be made here is the Protectorate. Chances are good that nearly every Protector in the organization would be at the graduation ceremony. It's something that only happens once every few years, amd with FTL teleporters around they can easily be there and back in an instant if so desired. Considering how close-knit and friendly the Protectorate seems to be, I-d imagine the majority of them would be thrilled to attend the graduation ceremony.

And there's another thought. We get to the Outpost via teleporter. In fact, we get to most planets we've explored via teleporter, rather than bothering with flying our ship there. Now, if most Protectors don't have their ships parked in orbit, and the teleporters on Earth are destroyed almost instantly, how exactly are they supposed to escape again...? Mind you, there's always the option of beaming up to your ship, but we can't be sure whether their beam-up would be blocked or not, given what little we know about the structure of Earth pre-Ruin. With all that in mind, it's quite possible nobody could escape even if they wanted to, and you were one of the luckiest Protectors known to man. After all, how many can say that they ran out of the hall unabated, and just happened to run into an unattended, largely undamaged ship that their SAIL could freely hack into?

Guest0241525 likes this.
  3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Exactly why would almost every protector be at the ceremony? From what we get, it's a pretty big organization, and not only would there be at least a few that can't go (For example because they've made a colony and they're trying to get one of their tenants to not get themselves killed while going with them to trade with a merchant over some furniture), and a few that would think that there's no point in going there; assuming that there would even BE enough room for all Protectors.

4. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

It does seem to be implied that most Protectors visited Earth for the ceremony - otherwise Esther wouldn't suggest that we could be the last.

There definitely is room for at least some other Protectors to miss the graduation ceremony, though. There could be some Protectors that were too busy to visit, and only found out about Earth's fate afterwards. While the organization is now essentially defunct, some of its members could still live on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    EmissaryOfInfinity likes this.
  5. samuel9900

samuel9900 Void-Bound Voyager

1: Why quote me on a claim you don't address?
    2: I never said that there was a military fleet. And I was addressing a reply from a dude who claimed every single Protector except you died because ???
    3: By random graduates I mean random TP graduates. Sure, they're not alone and not unskilled, but I don't see how they help spread peace exactly. You and all others said the TP is a Red Cross like organization. So if they don't do UN like stuff, they're probably flinging crews into space to help random people. That is why I think the TP is a dumb concept. A Red cross like thing doesn't really work in such a large place.
    4: I have to actually admit my fault here. I was testing it on Miniknog soldiers only, which it dealt 3 damage to, just as much as a titanium spear. But another weird thing is that an uncommon weapon dealt 3 times as much damage (even more with it's special ability). And really, even If I was wrong, it still wouldn't mean TP tech is so incredibly OP.

1: I mean that no big colonies wouldn't appear. Why would the TP think that nothing could go wrong? Why wouldn't the TP get some other colonies outside Sol? Like for research purposes? Oh, I know, THEY'RE JUST A LAZY GOODY-GOOD ORGANIZATION MADE UP IN TWO SECONDS.
    2: "It's something that only happens once every few years," So do military academy graduations. Do you see every single soldier that can attend attend? No. Because it's not such a big deal.
    3: How do you know that teleportation can be blocked by tentacles rising from the ground? How would that even work? And how do you know that all teleporters were destroyed? And how come no protector was AT Earth at that time with their ship? Not all Protectors are somewhere in deep space, and one would think that many non-Protectorate ships would be there too, judging by not only presumption, but also the many ships in the intro. And what about the ships that were meant for new Protectors to command? They had to be there somewhere, either in orbit or on ground. And if there are ways to jam teleport signals, how come no one made a fail-safe escape method in case that happens?

How did the build the story around that? It seems like the only reason why Humanity got scattered in 1.0 is so regular people couldn't fix the problem. The story is just a cliché mess.

IT IS BLAND. END OF STORY. JUST BECAUSE YOUR VILLAGE BURNED DOWN DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOUR QUEST TO FIND THE 4 ELEMENTS AND KILL A MONSTER IS UNIQUE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Unique or not, at this point it's definitely way more interesting than your rants.

Namtazar, FarionDragon and STCW262 like this.
  7. Namtazar

Namtazar Subatomic Cosmonaut

It looks like others understand what i try to answer for you. But if you not - i am sorry. English is still hard language for me sometimes.
    You ask for help - they go and help. Need rebuild or fix giant building or stop some monster attack or whatever - Protectorate always can do that. No matter if you loyal miniknog apex or a rebel, or a member of Cluex inspired avian colony or even a floran from this village where the previous peacemaker crew was eaten last time - they protect weak and help em as long as it provide some peace in this sector of space.
    In real life things like this doesn't help much too. But still we have Red Cross, greenpeace, UN, European Court of Human Rights etc... They, you know, trying. This is a thing.
    Why you keep thinking that Terrane Protectorate could grow new colonies by itself? They are not a main power on the Earth (i mean - political) Just one of organisations. Earth have one organisation who want to expand before - USCM. And this entire organisation was wiped out. Really good reason why Protectorate not so expansive, right? Or... they are more sneaky. We can find some lost Protectorate space base and our SAIL tell us that he dont have any information about this structures in database. So... if Protectorate have some colony or base like thing - it can be abandoned or even still functional - but it also WILL BE hidden. A good idea for some not military by first place organisation.
    Well it may be just part of the game mechanic, but usually we can see one thing - you can teleport to your ship only from open planet surface. Not from interior of any building. Guess what? We was in giant enclosed building on Earth when things happens. Guess what 2? We dont know how many of humans escaped! We see some small humans settlements with tents and small cars sometimes, we see some human ships in space still - they can be there before Ruin attacks or can arrive there after....
    Do you know any doctor who never did Hippocratic Oath? They not soldiers, but again - 500 years of traditions and this organisation looks like in the past it was more like religious orden. all this robes and matter manipulator symbols and only worthy enough can be granted to this tool. It is not like in army when they give you a rifle for first time. No - you will use this rifle all days you learn things in military academy. But for Protectorate - no. You learn all things without this tool and only after your graduation you deserve your own Manipulator. This IS a moment worthy enough to tell about it and see it. It's like when first human spectre was chosen in mass effect 1 - rare occasion, very important and it is good thing to know the name and the face of such a powerful man.
    Then - end it.

FarionDragon and STCW262 like this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Keep it civil, guys.

And @samuel9900, please don't double- or triple-post. Use the edit button to expand posts instead of stacking them back-to-back.

9. FarionDragon

FarionDragon Tentacle Wrangler

This whole religous order thing is a really cool way od looking at it. I will keep it in mind.

10. Namtazar

Yeah. For me it looks like real semi religious order. Or at least it WAS order in the past but now Protectorate grown as a interracial (interplanetary?) organisation. You can find some star wars jedi order references with this red robes, matter manipulator symbolism etc, some star trek starfleet references with "modern" Protectorate looks and many, many others. of course we don't know how it is in real - we don't know about Protectorate past match, but we all can use our imagination... :nurutease:

FarionDragon likes this.
  11. FarionDragon

It is very interesting, because that is where history split up. By giving humans an artifact, the course of history changed. Now we just have to figure out when it happened(humans found the artifact). If it was in medival times, there probably would have been an order build around it. If it happened today, it would be more of a science institute.

12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Probably about 500 years before the game's events,as that would be more or less when the Protectorate was formed.
    Or it could have been later, and the Protectorate copied it, but they were already around.

Namtazar likes this.
  13. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Namtazar likes this.
  14. Namtazar

My own opinion that artefact was given by humans a loong time ago but one of this humans who protect it all this time like some sort of mystical artifacts desired to research it about 500 years ago and not only carry and protect it but use it, copy the technology and other stuff like that. And maybe this is why they called themselves Protecters - couse first of all they does not only protect Earth and peace in the world with this first matter manipulator, but protect MM itself as a great artifact from the past. But 500 years of research and use this technology make it available to copy and they start to create new MM and give it to another Protectors who can use it as a tool and help all. So this is maybe how organisation was established after all. (and maybe this is why our hero is the last Protector - cause he is the last who will work with the first MM - human artifact. Last who really protect this artifact and use it to open the gate. all others can maintain Terren Protectorate and keep universe safe but they not protect first MM anymore.)

15. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Huh. I was wondering where people got that stuff from, and then someone pointed me to planet model inspection lines. Turns out I was wrong, which opens up a few possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  16. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

What evidence does that offer, though? The flavor text doesn't imply colonization of those planets, it just confirms they exist

edit: ah, i see the scan text now. nevermind!

17. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I believe that the Protectorate was a very powerful facility. It would only make sense that it is because the Miniknog would have taken the Matter Manipulator by then, further evidence to back this claim is the Protector's Broadsword the item is described as "A powerful experimental weapon designed by the Terrene Protectorate" it is possibly the strongest weapon there is, there is the Protectorate Mech which is also top tier gear. The Matter Manipulator probably remained solely in the hands of protectorate because nobody would wish to incur the wrath of the Protectorate. If we consider that the Broadsword and mech are only a small example of the Protectorate's might, you can imagine what else they may have that could destroy those that threaten their peace. I think that the Matter Manipulator is also tied to the Protector somehow, so even if a Miniknog spy were to kill a protector for it the Matter Manipulator would be re-spawned with the Protector; stealing it would also not work because they would be able to call the Matter Manipulator back before anyone got the chance to copy it.

I also have three reasons for why you are the only remaining protector.
    1. Likely a majority of the protectors were on Earth for the graduation or other events or meetings that were occurring at the same time. They may put new graduates on existing Protectorate crews and such they would call the crews back to pick up their recruits.

2. Any Protectors who were not on earth definitely heard of a beast with god-like strength who tore their home base like it was nothing; most protectors might have declared "Every man for himself!" and fled in terror.

3. There are ships in the background that you can see and while some of them were destroyed there are likely many who got out intact. Those who did get out might have fled. Others may have ended up like yourself stranded in orbit of a random planet, Many probably ended up in a less habitable planet then you did and met a sorry fate. Those that managed to repair their ship probably regrouped elsewhere or continued to flee from the Ruin. But no matter where they ended up they many likely cast aside their title as protector, believing that the Protectorate is dead.

Your character may have ended up in a similar state a former protector whose only goal is survival after a massive calamity. The Ruin would appear to be an unbeatable force, especially to one who just barely survived its might. Your character who has barely survived a calamity ends up meeting Ester by chance; Ester presents the possibility of defeating the Ruin and your character thinks to himself/herself "Well I've got nothing to lose, count me in."

Though after the game the Miniknog would probably fail to replicate the Matter Manipulator. The Apex rebels would have the coordinates for every single Miniknog laboratory or stronghold now that they had taken down Big Ape's own stronghold, and with time they hunted down every one of them leaving no prisoners. Some Miniknog agents went into hiding they probably could not obtain the materials necessary to research and develop any rare Matter Manipulator they could find. Tales of your heroism spread through the galaxy like wild fire, and former protectors flocked to your character like a beacon.

To sum it up.
    The Protectorate was too powerful to steal a Matter Manipulator from.
    The Miniknog suffered too large a blow to be able to replicate it by the end of the game.
    You are the "Last Protector",per se, because every one else has been scattered to the wind by seemingly hopeless conditions.
    Once the Ruin was gone the Protectorate was rebuilt elsewhere and former protectors, and new recruits flocked to this location; Humanity was small in number but eventually regrew.

Much of what I have written is theoretical. If you have any objections to what I have written please tell me. I see no flaws in my reasoning but perhaps some one else could.

Namtazar likes this.
  18. FarionDragon

3.FTL Drives powered up in the atmosphere explode.

1.There where thousands of people on mars, according to (Mars´s)scan text, they where evacuated. But who evacuated them, and where to? You have summed up a lot, but there is still a lot unclear.

19. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

This should solve that mystery

Earth's Emergency Broadcast
    S.O.S. - SAVE OUR SPECIES //

EARTH IS UNDER ATTACK FROM AN UNIDENTIFIED ORGANISM. DESTRUCTION IS IMMINENT //

EVACUATION IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH NO MAJOR SETTLEMENTS OFF-PLANET //

IF YOU ARE A HUMAN RECEIVING THIS BROADCAST, WE ARE NOW AN ENDANGERED SPECIES //

THE FUTURE OF THE TERRENE PROTECTORATE IS IN YOUR HANDS //

The people on mars went to whoever replied to this broadcast. And many others just got on their own personal ship and fled far from the Sol system.

As for why there are no Protectorate facilities off world. The codex "A United Earth" may give some insight: "Instead of expanding our settlements across the stars, we began to look inward, to strive for balance and a sustainable way of life with the support of newly acquired resources, and to build a solid future for our beloved Earth." Humanity only desired to perfect their way of life on Earth rather than expand their influence to all the worlds. This is what differentiates the Protectorate from the Occasus, the Occasus believe that humanity is the superior species and should have control of the whole galaxy; whilst the Protectorate strives to coexist with all sentient beings. The USCM also wished to expand human influence beyond Earth, but the Protectorate opposed them.

FarionDragon likes this.
  20. samuel9900

samuel9900 Void-Bound Voyager

But I didn't take 4 years and hype my rants as some fascinating thing when I didn't have to. Nonsensical argument.