1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

"The Frontier" - Newcomer friendly casual RP server. [24/7]

Discussion in 'Public Servers' started by TheWalrusNet, Jun 16, 2015.

1. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

The Frontier

You've just arrived on a planet advertised to you as "The Frontier." The article promised affordable homes, exciting entertainment, and the chance at untold riches. A newly colonized world, still on it's baby steps in becoming a bustling metropolis is looking for new citizens, and those that answer the call will be rewarded richly.

But that is not the case. What you find on your arrival is a small village, with hastily erected buildings at it's core. There's no homes, no riches, and you're many sectors away from civspace. What's worse, is that half of the planet is still an unexplored wilderness. But not all is so bleak. You're one of few newcomers to the planet, you can stay and try to make your mark, and become a pillar of this fledgeling community.

Features
    • Newbie friendly - No prior RP knowledge necessary! We'll teach you everything you need to know
    • Casual environment - Any and all forms of RP are accepted, and we do not heavily enforce our rules, except those that are in place to ensure everyone enjoys
    • Be a part of the story - We're a brand new server with a brand new story. Joining us on our adventure will mean you will get to shape the storyline that will become the backbone of our server's foundation. We are also looking for dedicated and talented moderators and admins.
    • Hub world - Our story is heavily based around the starter planet. That means that it's very easy to jump in and find people to play with! Though you aren't restricted to just the homeworld.
    The Hub

Our Hubworld will be where most of the action happens and most of our playerbase will reside. As we start, our hubworld will be quite small, but as the server and our playerbase grows, we hope to expand this hubworld, and eventually offer more worlds for players to explore, depending on the story. We don't want too much to be set in stone, and want our community to shape the way our universe grows.
    • The Inn - This will be where most of the RP happens. With seated areas for people to chat, a bar (run by players.) and a stage for aspiring musicians, there's plenty of opportunity for any and all types of encounter. We've also included a basement for anything that should not be said or done in the public eye.
    • Market - Includes sections for several player-run stalls, to allow RP as a shopkeeper or merchant.
    • Arena - A large structure stands to the right of spawn for people to settle their disputes. The Frontier does have laws, and open combat in the streets is heavily discouraged. Instead, we have provided an Arena in which citizens can duke it out in fair combat, and settle their disagreements. Conveniently, it's right next to the hospital. If it's more than a fistfight you're looking for, you'll have to settle it in the wilderness.
    • The Wilderness - Either side of The Frontier are two gigantic stone walls, marking the borders of the town. Outside of those, there are no laws, and anything and everything is fair game. Head out with extreme caution.
    Rules

We're looking to be fairly light in the rule department, but we do have to take steps to ensure everyone has a fair and fun experience. Our rules consist mainly of standard RP-related rules.​
    • Please use Planet Chat when In-character, you can switch into planet chat by clicking the small galaxy symbol on the bottom left corner of the in-game chat window.
    • Do not Metagame. When IC (In-character) your character can only know about events that they have experienced. For example; just because you can see the chat of two people in the building over from you, your character cannot hear it, and thus you must not RP as if they do not know that information.
    • No public ERP. If that's what you want to do, then we're not going to stop you, but if you do we ask that you do it privately in your ship or through a third - party. Public displays of ERP will result in a warning.
    • When talking OOC (Out Of Character) be sure to use double brackets - (( like this )) or [[ like this ]] or < like this >
    • Do not spam weapons or drawables. This causes unneeded strain on the server and can cause a crash. As player numbers increase, this rule will be more heavily enforced.
    • Drawables are allowed, but please be considerate of other players. No lewd images, or inappropriately sized or loud drawables. If someone asks you to stop using/firing one, listen to them.
    • Powergaming is discouraged, and will generally earn you a bad reputation. Please be considerate of other players and ensure that your character and their abilities are fair. When participating in Combat RP, make sure you leave time for other players to react to your actions, and that you always *attempt* them, so that the other player may decide if you are successful.
    • If your character is killed or dies, they can be "cloned" and brought back to life. But we ask to maintain balance that if you are killed, you do not "come back" until at least one day has passed, IRL.
    Server Info

For now, we have chosen not to password or whitelist our server, and we're accepting any and all members into our community! We ask only that you are respectful to our rules and to other players.

Join the server on: 85.236.100.202:22625

If you have any further questions feel free to add me on steam (TheWalrusNet) or PM me on the forums.

Much of the information in this post is now outdated. Please head over to our forums at the link below, for more in-depth rules and lore.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/The_Frontier_RP/index/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

"Powergaming is discouraged, and will generally earn you a bad reputation. Please be considerate of other players and ensure that your character and their abilities are fair. When participating in Combat RP, make sure you leave time for other players to react to your actions, and that you always *attempt* them, so that the other player may decide if you are successful."

Wha? What if your caracter is a techno... person and seeks out the most powerful equipment?

And what does this even mean?
    "...so that the other player may decide if you are successful."

Ahrceon and TheRedEnigma like this.
  3. TheWalrusNet

Basically, when you're in a combat RP, rather than saying "And then i shot you in the head." You would say "And then I raised my gun, and aimed for the head, then fired a shot." and then the party you were shooting at will decide whether that shot connects, and how much damage it does. Another good way to ensure successful actions is to state the probability of an actions success. such as: "At this range, it is unlikely the shot would miss."

This is so that both parties involved agree with what is happening, and that it's fair. Obviously, if you're firing a shot point blank, and the other party says you miss, then *they* are powergaming. Everyone involved should consider that their actions are fair and this system helps make sure that everyone agrees with what is going on.

So in short, we ask that any actions taken in combat are fair, and that those reacting to actions are fair as well. Nobody likes being instantly killed by something 20 times more powerful than them, and then those that are suitably powerful don't want all their actions missing for no apparent reason.

These rules aren't enforced too heavily, and as long as everyone involved in the combat are happy, then feel free to RP as you like. But if people start arguing, we'll have to fall back on these procedures.

Ironbeak and evilnancyreagan like this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

ook then. Have fun.

5. TheWalrusNet

So far we have been, thanks! :)

6. WraithofSpades

WraithofSpades Void-Bound Voyager

I'm going to be that guy. Just tried to connect and got a connection error. THE REED KING NEEDS HIS SUBJECTS! er, ah...apex science and stuff...

7. TheWalrusNet

Having some issues with the server at the moment, uptime is a little shaky. We're trying our best to resolve it though!

8. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

im really excited i am totally going to join this server once it gets a little bit more active

9. Dracorev

Dracorev Space Hobo

Okay, so, I just bought Starbound, and I have been trying to join your server, but I cannot seem to join, as every time I do, the game gives me the following error message: "Join Failed! Error connecting to '85.236.100.202:21025'" I'm not sure where else to put this, so I apologize if it's off topic :/

10. TheWalrusNet

Every now and then the server will go down for a little while until it's manually restarted. If you get this error (or anyone else for that matter) it's probably just a time where no admins are available and it'll be back up in a short while. Just check back later and it should be up again :)

11. Ehlek

Ehlek Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is this server still up? I tried joining, but nobody was on. then again it was/is early in the morning, so I'll give it another go after a while!

12. TheWalrusNet

Yep! There's a fair few people on at the moment. There'll be periods where not many people/no people are on, as we're still fairly small and we're operating with admins in only one time zone :)

13. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

hey the server has been working fine for a while until about the middle of the day (its 5:40 Pm now) the server crashed on me, and now whenever i try to join it either succeeds however everything is black and dark, except for my hot bar OR it comes up with a message stating "join failed! Timeout while establishing connection"

14. theskye

theskye Space Hobo

I am lookin forward to join this server :)
    I am not able to play intensly on weekdays and have no prior knowledge of rp.
    But I am willing to learn to play in harmony!

15. TheWalrusNet

It'll be great to have you on the server! We'll be happy to show you the ropes, and make sure you have a fun time :D

Should be fixed now, the server just crashed. This happens frequently with the latest starbound update due to a memory leak, so if anyone else has a similar issue just PM me or message me on steam so that I can restart the server.

16. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

ok thanks

17. Raymond1018

Raymond1018 Aquatic Astronaut

What time Zone is the server/admins following? Im on eastern time.

18. TheWalrusNet

We're on GMT.

19. Raymond1018

Raymond1018 Aquatic Astronaut

I was wondering if I could help expand the hubworld town. My characters has plenty of supplies to do so.

20. Pengwolf

Pengwolf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, I'm glad I found this because I think what I've been missing in my Starbound experience was the multiplayer, so look out for Vexyll on the server, because I will most certainly join in and I can't seem to change my Forum display name to Vexyll.

Give some thanks to Jude for pointing this server out to me as I will most certainly play on it once it's back to normal (Jude told me about "tarman").

TheWalrusNet likes this.