The Penguin Syndicate VI - [GAME OVER]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Zebe, Feb 24, 2016.

?

The representative for Mafia Championships?

Poll closed May 2, 2017.
  1. Miss Alkane

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. zeskorion

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. DustyScabbard

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. quitaren12

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Apathy Applied

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Look if you're gonna be like that about it I can probably pitch in a little. But you'll have to explain to me your process for deciding what roles go into a setup cause I kinda don't know unless you want me to just shoot blindly.

Zebe and Alkanthe like this.
  2. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

If I were nominated, I'd definitely be willing to go. As for nominations, I've already said my bit.

Zebe likes this.
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

That was partly a joke, but maybe... although making setups won't matter much before knowing how many players there will be unless you're willing to make several. Plus explaining the whole process I go through would prolly take much more effort than actually doing the whole thing myself. Here's a shortened, simplified version:

Only thing you basically need is knowing the roles well and having a clear idea of the kind of game you're going to make (a power-role heavy game, a game with lotsa Boring Humans, etc.). The good amount of Penguins is usually around 20-35% depending on how many (and how powerful) power roles there are. Also in a game with many roles there should be a good balance between the different types. For example having many roles with protective abilities (Noble, Hunter, Knight, Priests, Penguin Protector/Trooper, Cultist Enforcer, Shadow) reduces the chances of deaths so more killers (Killer Plant, Militant, Cultist, Penguins) would maybe even that out. Or maybe roleblockers (Penguin, Shadow, Hunter) could do that, although they have the chance to reduce all kinds of actions. Investigative roles are a useful asset on the civilian side, so maybe have 1-2 of those in a regular game, though too many and everything becomes way too easy for those players. And when you don't know what else there could be just use filler roles like Humans and alpaca never forget alpaca
    Also I've included an Occultist-Bot to every game since that role was created just to appease the dead, so to say. To make even the corpses feel useful. How has that worked out, I ain't so sure, but at least it's always there.

Okay that was just a dump wall of thoughts but anyways hope that helps

I just got the idea of having a single confirmed set of roles. It would be harder to balance (roleclaims would be easier and effective for civvies for sure), but I wonder what kind of a game that would make.

MilkCalf and Alkanthe like this.
  4. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

naw, finding the set of roles is so much fun

Zebe likes this.
  5. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I agree with zesko, you shouldn't confine yourself with pre-set roles, that would get boring. But any, just give me an average numbers of players that you usually have and I'll get started on those. Can't promise they'll be great but if it helps it helps.

Zebe likes this.
  6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Thanks for the feedback on the single-setup idea. Can I ask for more? Is it better with more possible setups, or less? Would the game be more or less fun with a more random distribution of roles?
    Not sure what to expect from next game. The amount of players has been going up and down (7, 12, 16, 14, 15, 17). I'll make a safe bet of 14 players.

But seriously I'd like to do the setups myself no matter how busy I am. I'll be following the game for weeks, so I want to have at least some impact on it. You (and everyone else that wants) can do setups now, and maybe I'll use them if they're interesting. Or use them as basis if there'll be a different amount of players than the setups allow.

I didn't tag people when the game ended. I wonder if anyone missed that. well alright:
    @Firepaw Da Cat, @zeskorion, @Miss Alkane, @Sir Wilfrey, @Dave Combine, @Rgbunpro, @Zetlin97, @Solar313, @adr, @The Squid, @MightyKitty4, @Arra, @Gilgamesh025, @quitaren12, @Apathy Applied, @MilkCalf, @FirnenYT
    Thanks for playing!

Also, if you missed, there was a post on the last page about Mafia Championships. Nominate the person who you think is the best player to represent our community in the tournament!

Now that I just tagged everyone, it would be a good time to think about the next game...
    ...meh, the signups can start right now. Like, why not:

Player list
    • Firepaw Da Cat
    • zeskorion
    • DustyScabbard
    • Rgbunpro
    • Zetlin97
    • Miss Alkane
    • The Squid
    • MilkCalf
    • Dave Combine
    • YOU THERE!
    • AND YOU!
    • AND EVERYONE ELSE!

I'll make the new game thread at some point but if it's before the final decision about our mafia champion to send is made, that discussion can remain here.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    MilkCalf, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  7. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

I'll join!

Zebe likes this.
  8. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Yeah so will i

Zebe likes this.
  9. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

After watching last round, I think I can say my TPS hiatus is over. I'm good for next game.

Zebe likes this.
  10. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Of course I'll join the fun.

Zebe likes this.
  11. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sign me up

Zebe likes this.
  12. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I'll join, because why not.

Zebe likes this.
  13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Sign me upppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Zebe likes this.
  14. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I'll join too.

Zebe likes this.
  15. Thingyman

Thingyman Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys

Regarding the Mafia Championship, would you be able to send me a PM once you've decided on a representative? That way I'm informed right away :)

Zebe, Zetlin97, The Squid and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

Back from France. Hon hon croissant paris hilton eiffel tower :confirm:

Go ahead and sign me up for the next one too. I hope it's different from the last couple of games :p

Zebe likes this.
  17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Well alright.
    The thread for the 7th game will be going up tomorrow. Buuut I don't have a set start date in mind. Sometime next week, maybe Tuesday? The signups will stay open over the weekend in any case if there will be players joining, but looks like this game will be smaller than the last few games. c'mon 9 players in 6 days i even tagged everyone this time

Also, that guide I mentioned... not going to happen before the next game I'm afraid.

So that Championship thing. Here's a... votecount? nomination count?

Miss Alkane - 4
    zeskorion - 4
    Zebe - 2
    DustyScabbard - 2
    quitaren12 - 1
    Apathy Applied - 1

Almost everyone has named multiple nominees... plus not too many people are actually nominating anyone... Maybe a poll? Or something else? In any case, we have a tie up there right now.
    though the deadline for this voting is on the 18th so we have plenty of time left

18. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  19. Thingyman

Thingyman Void-Bound Voyager

Hi guys

This is a reminder that you need to name your representative before this Monday :)

20. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Looks like we need to make a poll or something.

Zebe likes this.