Tips for a nice looking farm?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sugar-Fable, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sugar-Fable

Sugar-Fable Phantasmal Quasar

So I really want a nicely decorated/organized farm but mine's p basic. I don't even really know how I'd go about planning something like that >.< I have the forest farm but have been considering changing to a modded version of the standard farm, not sure yet~

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I recommend using this site, if you haven't already: https://stardew.info/planner/
      With it you can get a general idea for where you'd like to put things, and work towards that. Remember, you can always change most things around on your farm even after you've set them down-- orchard trees are one of the few things that cannot be moved once placed, but buildings can be moved (either by Robin or later the Wizard) after you've built them, and even your crops can be shifted if you don't mind the extra work (though moving your planting areas in the middle of a season will be costly in terms of lost growing time). The first thing to think about is what you want to do with your farm in the game. Crops? Orchards? Livestock? A mix of things? Base your layout on the activities you enjoy in the game and a nice farm will follow.

Don't be afraid to try out some of the mods that change the appearance of buildings and equipment, too-- little things can be a big help. I recently added a mod to my game that changes standard fodder grass to seasonal wildflowers, and was amazed at how that one little thing perked up the entire feel of my farm. There's tons of very creative mods that can heighten the look of your place.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

• Sugar-Fable

Sugar-Fable Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks you guys! I never thought of those~ Here's hoping I can get started on a nice farm

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
        • Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I would also look for an inspiration. I was inspired when I traveled to Japan a few weeks ago, and I walked along the paths of a Japanese landscape park, with Cherry Blossoms along the roads and sidewalks. During Spring, I made it so that I would harvest all the cherries by just walking along the main paths of my farm, basically strolling through the entire landscape like it was a park to harvest the fruit.

I didn't use any preplanning so that my farm's roads could be changed up as it got more developed.
          Also, a hot tip: Fruit trees can be planted on the very edge of your farm (the very last tile).

Things to ponder:
          Do you want your forest farm wild or ordered? Efficient or relaxing? Buildings out in the open? Or Hidden away? (Buildings can be built in such a way as to be covered by the natural trees near Grandpa's shrine.)
          Since you mentioned wanting order, use the grass as priority build sights for roads or buildings. Just be aware that if you get too ordered with the trees, important parts of your farm will be obscured. I actually had to go back and chop down some fruit trees so more of the farm would be viable. (Not shown in the picture, but I later chopped down one of the cherry trees blocking my wife's sculpture at the top right)

This is what I got going on at the moment with a pure brewery focus.
          [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
            Borodin, Honeywell and Sugar-Fable like this.
          • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I like farms without fences and not too many roads. Combine that with my recently developed dislike for livestock farming and you get orchard heavy farms. My reasoning against livestock is that it takes too much work for little outcome. I will post my last two farms. Maybe there are some elements that you like. All was achieved without mods because I'm partly too lazy to search and install some and partly because I believe that I should play a game like the designer intended.

This is the most beautiful farm (in my opinion) that I ever built:

[​IMG]

And this was my last where I wanted to create a really big orchard:

[​IMG]

Edit: One last thing: I hide many lanterns behind trees which is why I plant them regularly at longer pathways.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
              Honeywell and Sugar-Fable like this.
            • Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Geometry and symmetry is pretty nice looking. You can start from there and play around. Maybe start by planning your farm as a grid, and then mess the grid a bit, offset some boxes, make some larger and some smaller. Then you get a more fancier looking grid.

Sugar-Fable likes this.