Upgrades, Breeding, and a Friendship System for Horses.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LeBui, Mar 24, 2016.

1. LeBui

LeBui The Court

Upgrades could include a backpack, horseshoes possibly, made of the different tiers of metal and increase speed more and more or perhaps give one static amount of speed bonus but need to be replaced less and less frequently with the higher tier of metal, and also a SEED BAG, allowing for you to place any amount of one type of seed inside and the horse will drop the seeds behind you onto any plowed tile as you run! How cool would that be?

Breeding is self-explanatory, but I'd love it if you could mix and match your own breeds to have more carrying capacity or more speed or different colors as well and obviously sell them for decent cash. Of course, you'd have to upgrade to a big or deluxe stable first!

the friendship system could be a completely separate thing, allowing you to pet and/or give your horse gifts of apples or hay every day to make it like you more, increasing it's speed slightly and the burden it's willing to carry for you as well (more backpack slots). Perhaps you could even have a horse whistle of sorts to call your horse from far away.

Just some ideas!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
      Gabaw likes this.
    • Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

Other than most of that, I want my horse to jump >_<.
      The whistle idea has been going on for quite some time now, also I'm not sure about having multiple horses, but ya, upgrading a stable to something bigger would look neat and probably your spouse can ride on as well.

Gabaw and LeBui like this.
      • TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the idea of having extra storage on the horse thematically, but practically I'm not really sure of how useful it would be. Most of the activities where I'm likely to completely fill my inventory are ones that take all day, so having extra storage on the horse doesn't do much. I do really like the idea of having ways to boost speed, though, whether it's a friendship system or horseshoes.

Personally, the biggest upgrade I can think of for horses would be map improvement. Removing all of the random rocks that for whatever reason the horse can't just step over, and widening areas that are meant to be traversable so that the horse can actually fit through.

LeBui likes this.
        • LeBui

LeBui The Court

I usually don't have inventory issues either, but the idea here is that it would just be a convenience factor for me personally, being able to keep all my tools on my horse rather than in my inventory, so I can grab them as needed and basically use my horse as a chest that I keep the favorite items of all the villagers in so if I run into them in town, I've always got what they want without having to clutter the heck out of my inventory.

Not just that, but the bigger reason I'm all for the idea of having an inventory on your horse is it could provide a possible reason to be buying a stable earlier in the game, because for people like me that second backpack upgrade doesn't really feel worth the money when it's still very important to be making investments rather than buying luxury, but I'd honestly feel a lot more okay with grabbing a stable, which costs the same amount of money but also some materials, to get an upgrade on speed, a headstart on befriending my horse (if that also becomes a thing) and some much needed extra inventory space all in one package! (Whereas right now it's almost entirely aesthetic aside from the minor speed boost)

Girafarig likes this.
          • TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

True, I suppose at the very least it would be a good way to carry gift items around town to hand out. But it should be limited to maybe 12 slots instead of a full chest's worth.

LeBui likes this.
            • LeBui

LeBui The Court

Agreed. If the whole "befriending your horse" thing was actually added to the game as well, then it could start smaller and gradually work it's way up to 12 or maybe a little more. But yeah, a whole chest's worth of space might be a bit OP.

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

I'd say about 6,
                12 is already much as it is.

LeBui likes this.
                • Darkzephyr

Darkzephyr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

befriending your horse could allow it a "sprint" meter, to really get around fast.

Some upgrades could be saddlebags, portable shipping container, or like a really nice looking horse that when you talk to villagers while riding it, they can sometimes comment and have that conversation be worth double a normal conversation.

LeBui likes this.
                  • LeBui

LeBui The Court

I really like these ideas and kind of thought of them myself but I didn't wanna get too complicated, lest it be really daunting for concernedape. But I also think that being able to buy and attach a seed or fertilizer bag to a horse so it sows seeds you place inside on any applicable tile you run on would be freaking amazing. It could make things way faster and easier in that way, where there is currently no upgrade or machine to help with the time it takes to place fertilizer and seeds.

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

I'd like to see something similar to Harvest Moon, where making your horse/dog love you was very useful for horse-racing and dog competitions (both things I'd like to see in Stardew Valley).

LeBui likes this.
                      • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

As a proclaimed (self) fan of horses, I too would like to see more done with them. I'm happy with the current state of zero maintenance but would like additional benefits for friendship. Friends with benefits, if you will. Additional small inventory is fine, maybe horse riding mine carts as suggested elsewhere, horse jumping for sure to get around some of those pesky collision inconsistencies.

• LeBui

LeBui The Court

Lol I have to admit, as silly as that sounds, I've definitely thought about it too

• LeBui

LeBui The Court

That'd be really cool, yeah! ^^

• horses28408

horses28408 Orbital Explorer

What I'd like to see is a breeding factor for horses, maybe a way to have a carriage or multiple horses, be able to train the foals to have certain skills, running, jumping, etc. I'd pay a person to make a mod for that, I'd pay them 30 dollars. (If there are any people that know how to create a mod, contact me :catsparkle:Well just message me on here. )