1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED USS Polaris (Tiered USCM deep-space Frigate) beta 1.7.1 (+ mod)

A large military frigate for people willing to play human and nomadic lifestyle...

1. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

@Velornar - Yes there is a mod that allows you to buy a pet, you buy them from the Terramart[once it's opened], Also I forgot the name of it. Dig through the Workshop on steam and you'll find it.

Also I found something rather odd.
    Every door in the ship is open and I can explore the ship after the initial tutorial/introduction stage. Still can't check the navigation systems until the mining facility is done.
    Other than that one small bit of oddity, I find this mod great if you like large ships with tons of space and multi decks to serve a large crew.

2. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

For the pet, indeed, it was a mistake from me, since workshop mods arent stored in the same default mods folder, i was surprised pets diddnt spawn, but the purchasable pet mod was on...
    Thats normal, the ship isnt tiered yet (i'm struggling to find wich door shoudl be locked and at wich tiers, some early interresting parts are at the front part of the ship...If i had to make everything fine, i would have to have a modular build as vanilla ship update, wich would be very long to do, especially since my old computer with photoshop installed is almost fried).
    I certainly forgot to add a locked door to the pilot room, even if in fact, it doesnt change anything since the pilot seat will in all cases give no navigation interaction before thrusters are fixed.
    the mod is still beta, so many things regarding liberty of players arent decided yet...

3. birdS

birdS Space Spelunker

I'm really loving this ship mod! It's perfect as a mobile base. You've mentioned making several versions of this ship in the future so I'd like to suggest something: A version where there are more doorways(especially vertical ones) and no dead ends. I've found that moving around certain parts of the ship tends to be a bit slow because of that. An example of that is the engine room, which is seperated into 3 different rooms but they are only accessible by entering other rooms.

4. Velornar

Well, that a good idea, I havent added enough options for verticality...it would also involve some general design changes then...I have in project (i'm currently working sometime on) of adding some jeffries tubes like structures, or central corridor services rooms all along the frigate. Certainly as a last extension since the ship is already big enough. It would be a step to certainly allow more trapdoors and more connection betweens different rooms.

5. XCABAL

XCABAL Void-Bound Voyager

Excellent ship mod!

Just something that bothered me a little. Could the deck numbers be switched around because deck one is usually the bridge. I still like the early idea of the ship being damaged during the evacuation and most of the rooms are sealed and each upgrade repairs them.

One more tiny request. Can you make the room directly left of the teleporter slightly bigger width wise. I want to stick the human shield generator there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  6. Velornar

thanks ^^
    The problem with this room is that if I do enlarge it, I may have to slightly increase the general lengh of the ship, because I cant reduce by a lot the teleporter room, (I have to leave at least 1 basic shipblock square unit on each side, otherwise, teleporter dont load...)
    For the bridge numerotation, I wasnt aware of this fact, but it could be easily fixed...
    But i'm currently having lot of trouble with my internet (30 ko/sec)...and my computer with photoshop is currently at the shop for reparation, so, i wont be able to make lot of modding before sptember...
    But I take good notes of your suggestions ^^

7. XCABAL

I think I have an idea for making it tiered, just a suggestion but if I was making it I would of done it this way.

Tier 1: You have access to the left side of the ship on the first vertical shaft.
    Tier 2: Lock down of the navigation room on the bridge level is lifted.
    Tier 3: FTL drive online (no size change) Default size of crew is 2 or 5
    Tier 4: All rooms between the first vertical corridor and the second vertical corridor are repaired (including the second corridor itself) Crew size increased to 10
    Tier 5: All rooms between the second vertical corridor and the third vertical corridor are repaired. Crew size increased to 20
    Tier 6: All rooms between the third vertical corridor and the fourth vertical corridor are repaired. Crew size increased to 30
    Tier 7: Ship fully operational. Crew size increased to 40
    Tier 8: Unknown - Possible size increase. Crew Size increased to 50

Velornar likes this.
  8. Velornar

Nice; its a very valuable feedback, thank you ^^
    I think i will make a special hatch, themed for the ship, in order to lock some parts or the ship horizontally, and a locked sliding door version (hoping those will correctly spawn and not make again some weird hitbox caprice)...

9. XCABAL

Another idea that I have no idea if possible.

Make special rooms or use the bottom of the vertical corridors; add a special teleporter in these spots that use a blink animation to warp you instantly to different parts of the ship. You can label them and when you E one of them it asks you which teleporter number you wish to warp to.
    Have them start in an unpowered state and interacting with the teleporter reboots them, that way you can't warp to closed off parts of the ship before upgrading.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. Shinki

Shinki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Reposting here because I am extremely desperate.
    https://puu.sh/qQuk6/4b8e251f2b.png
    Using your walkthrough to use this ship with Ningen, I have run into this problem. This is on a new save with no other saves and no other shipworlds.
    I have placed your ship's files into the Ningen's "ships" file, and put that into your mod's "ships" file too.

Your custom ship looks incredible, and I really want to use it, but this is the problem I'm running into. If you can help me in some way, I would be very grateful.

I can give you any extra info you require to make this easier.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. l4ng4m

l4ng4m Orbital Explorer

remove some useless cannons and change it into a more functional room.

12. Velornar

sorry, i havent updated the tutorial....
    For a custom race like the ningen, dont also forget to rename each .structure file replacing ID of human for exemple with id of the race, "ningen" here...Also, the race must have a custom blockey file (its like required, even if using a vanilla ship, to have this file, to spawn properly the chest and race starting equipment), otherwise it doesnt work, and you will have to create one. In the file of the mod, there is a patch that add the frigate stuff to the blockkey file, thats why.
    If you ont know the name of each file that will be used, usually there is a file in the root of the mod that describe wich .structure files goes for each tier.
    Dont do both. You can use this ship by modyfying the ningen mod, but it wont make it more compatible, or create a different wich may be problematic for multiplayer; or, in the polaris figate folder/ships; add another folder called ningen, and do what i said before, for renaming files.
    Should be suffient. If you can also join the error part of the starbound log file, would alsohelp me a bit.
    There is maybe another error, an incompatibility, a conflict between the two mods I havent seen, i couldnt exclude that hypothesis...

@l4ng4m : what cannon are you mentionning, the one on the rear part ? More functionnal rooms are planned, but I dont particularly want to extend the ship design beyond 3 pictures, it would make it more laggy...

13. Shinki

Thank you! I need a few more directions though...
    I'm not sure exactly how blockkey files are used, or what they do. Since I don't want to do any multiplayer, I'm only figuring to use the ship in singleplayer. So, for this example, I am going to only modify the USS Polaris files. Do I delete Ningen's ship file, or keep it? And for the bockkey files, do I use Ningen's blockkey file in the new Ningen USS Polaris shipfile, or something else?

https://puu.sh/qRf2v/fe5b0a7364.png

https://puu.sh/qReWy/c2a4e8b00b.png

https://puu.sh/qRf4T/1480c898c2.png

Which of these looks most correct? Are none of them correct? I am not very good with mods, so I don't really know if I am doing this right.
    Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Edit: I am positive that there are no conflicts. The ship works perfectly with the races it was made for, and I am running very many workshop distributed and forum distributed mods.

Edit 2: Just tried playing using image #3 setup with a new character, and it spawned me in the standard t0 human ship. I'm really unsure what I am doing wrong now.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  14. Velornar

Basicly, blockkey file are a list of instruction, the patch just merge the new instruction, addding them virtually to the existing default blockkey file of the race (so ther eis no need to make a second blockkey file in the moid foilder, when there is already a patch).
    That instructions are given so for wich item you want in you ship, its define its specific properties when spawned, and most importantly, are atributing a color to it, with their number code from 0 to 255, like on paint (that where you have to be carrefull to not attribute same color for two different object or those objects will conflict, or sometime just not spawn)...
    As you can notice, the block.png pictures are like virtual maps of the ship, with collision, and act like one pixel on this map equal to a square of 8x8 pixels on the ship-art picture, and each point is colored with the color you are willing to use, that represent the object at the emplacment you put it...

Thats normally not needed to edit the mod or delete the default ningen ship (wich is the human default if I remember). Normally, mods are merged to each other with the game system. Thats why making patch instead of just creating a new blockkey file is often more important to avoid incompatibilities...
    For you pictures, the first one is apparentlythe way to go, sorry for my english, but just change human (or whatever) by ningen on the nine files corresponding to tiers.
    If you have any problem next, link me you crashlog file, it may eventually mean something is conflicting.
    good luck ^^

l4ng4m likes this.
  15. l4ng4m

l4ng4m Orbital Explorer

elo wen u will updates lov u

16. Shinki

Sadly I've decided to give up on getting it to work, nothing I do is working. Thank you for responding to me as fast as you did, though. Your tutorial was definitely sufficient, but I am sure there is something I am doing wrong.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  17. XCABAL

How is it coming along so far?

18. ThatGuyEthereal

ThatGuyEthereal Intergalactic Tourist

How do I make it work for other races (modded) or how do I make it just change all the races to it?

19. XCABAL

Any news?

20. isblimidar+14

isblimidar+14 Intergalactic Tourist

Is this mod still beeing worked on? If not I will continue it