Where can I find the games .png files?

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Slippery Slime, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I know I can take a screenshot to get icons and things in the game, but is there any way I could get the .png files directly? Btw this is going in the wiki section because the primary use for the .png files would be to add to the wiki. I looked through the steam--> steamapps --> common ---> Starbound but I still couldnot find them

[EDIT] Nvm I found the guide, but if you want to further clarify it would be fine as well

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

For future reference, in order to look at the games assets, you need to unpack the game's assets.pak file which is located in Starbound\assets\ or Starbound - Unstable\assets\. In order to unpack it, you need to make a batch file that utilizes the games existing asset_unpacker.exe file. There are tutorials on this, but I personally prefer using good ol' ModPackHelper which does all of the necessary work for unpacking game assets, unpacking mods, and packing mods up for redistribution!

3. Genral Darumaka

Genral Darumaka Void-Bound Voyager

but how do you get to the png files directly? i've unpacked, found the folder that should contain the png but it's not there. is it part of those CHEST and LEG file things?

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

When you unpack the gane assets, don't close the unpacker right away. Let it run. You are only missing files because you didn't let the program run for the length of time necessary.

SpeedXaaa likes this.