1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED WIP: The Viera of Ivalice 0.3.2

The Viera of Ivalice have fled to the stars

1. GoldRidley

GoldRidley Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That sounds great. I'm looking forward to it. Are you going with Amano's concept art version, or the chunky mech actually depicted in game? I don't really have a preference, they're both neat in their own way.

2. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Neat! :D
    curious question though, the original magitek armor from 6 also had magical properties (if i recall it allowed you to cast the basic forms of fire, lightning and ice, which was the purpose of the mech being created if i recall) will that be a thing, or till it just be a melee unit? O:

3. GoldRidley

1.3 compatibility issue found!
    After talking to Dr. Akaggy at the outpost (who gives you mech access) upon starting the test drive mission, the game crashes with the following error dialogue:

Exception caught in client main-loop
    (AssetException) Error loading asset
    /cinematics/teleport/deploy.viera.cinematic

Maybe it'd be possible for a quick fix by temporarily using another race's animation for this, until a proper one is done?

4. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Judging from the various update logs for various races, seems it may be something to do with mech teleportation cinematics?

5. magicsonic0806

magicsonic0806 Void-Bound Voyager

I do have the exact same problem.

6. FierySwordswoman

FierySwordswoman Void-Bound Voyager

It's possible to fix the cinematic issue yourself by using another race's teleport such as the Felins'.

First, make a new folder in your "mods" folder called something like "cinemafix".
    Next, copy the "cinematics" folder from the *felins mod folder to the cinemafix folder.
    Then, remove the *"felin", "respawn", and "story" folders from the cinematics folder. You don't need them. You should be left with just "teleport".
    Then, remove any files that don't have the word "deploy" in them from the teleport folder.
    Finally, every time the word *"felin" appears in a file name change it to "viera". Example: *"deploy_felin.cinematic" becomes "deploy_viera.cinematic"

By the end of this process you should be left with 5 files for the viera race deploy animation. The game will work fine now.

7. magicsonic0806

magicsonic0806 Void-Bound Voyager

Fixed it like a charm

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

8. GoldRidley

That worked for me! Thanks, Fiery.

9. bycomino

bycomino Void-Bound Voyager

please make 1.3 compatible ass soon as posible :( i love this mod too much!!! the character, the forniture, all is great, the weapons are the best...is a great work.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  10. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

Sorry for the wait, I honestly didn't think 1.3 would be dropping so soon x_x I'll make the Viera ready as soon as I can

bycomino likes this.
  11. AmazonValkyrie

I honestly haven't played any of 1.3, so I don't know what my capabilities are, but I am aiming to be true to the Magitek armor and build it as such ^_^

12. bycomino

bycomino Void-Bound Voyager

:) thanks!!

13. Warboss_Spriggs

Warboss_Spriggs Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh my gosh! Hype Train is restored!
    [​IMG]

14. AmazonValkyrie

Just now sitting down to play the new update. Is the new content all end game, or can it be accessed from the start?

15. FierySwordswoman

FierySwordswoman Void-Bound Voyager

More early game stuff. Mech can be accessed either the moment you get to the outpost or the moment you fix your ship.

16. AmazonValkyrie

Oh, awesome! Thanks for the info ^_^ Much appreciated!

17. AmazonValkyrie

Just got the Viera working properly with 1.3. However when I paused work on the mod several months ago there were a lot of big changes that I had started and left unfinished. I'm concocting a game plan for what I can conceivably wrap up and pack into the mod within a timely manner. Here's hoping I can work quickly and well.

On another note, what sorts of additions are you all hoping to see in this update?

As I had stated before I paused work, all objects had received a makeover, and there are a massive amount of additional objects, many new building tiles, several new hairstyles and wigs, a new ear style, new Viera EPP, SAIL has been remade, illuminated crystal ore (found deep in planets), along with racial crafting stations.

I honestly really hoped I would've finished their ship by now, but I have not. Every time I return to look on my designs, and what I've worked up in Paint.net, I come up with something new. The update to their settlements is also in limbo, with a good bit done, but a decent amount left to do. To emphasize the fact that the Viera are in hiding, and to fall in line with how Viera villages were hidden away in XII/Tactics, I'm aiming to make all settlements their own instance. Meaning you find an inconspicuous entry way that requires opening, and through it lay the path to (mostly random) Viera settlements. If you're wondering what I'm trying to emulate, and don't mind any spoilers from FF XII, click here and jump to 7: 30 ish. Again, I'm trying to emulate this which will be tricky to translate to pixels, but I want it to be as close as I can get it, while taking some artistic liberties.

Clothing is in dire need, mainly racial and mainly for males. I'm aiming to have 6-8 tops and bottoms to mix and match for characters, and I'm still shooting to have the first three tiered job armors complete for both genders. Tiered job armors also mean tiered weaponry is required. Outfits tend to take me some time to complete because I'm super picky about how well an outfit looks, and I've got to come up with re colors for each.

There is something I've been secretive about (unless I mentioned it already lol). The Viera body has been remade. They are now a few pixels taller, have slightly longer limbs and have a unique, and graceful jump animation. With a change like that, it means that vanilla clothing will no longer look as it should on their bodies. I don't plan to release this change until I ensure the Viera have a decent amount of gear for you all to work with and in the future, I'm up for making a crafting station to turn all vanilla gear into a size Viera can wear. That will take a large bit of time as there are a lot of vanilla armors, and would be something coming further down the road, but I know a lot of you love the vanilla garb, and I don't want it to take that away from any of you.

Notes about the mech: I've always been aiming to make the mech Magitek armor, drawing directly from FFVI, however after playing with mechs I realize I won't be able to emulate it fully. The original Magitek armor design had no arms, and it's attacks came from elemental beams that shot from the main body. Starbound mechs only use arms as weapons, so I'll have to take some artistic liberties with the original design. At first I was super bummed about this, but it does mean that I'll be able to take the Magitek armor look, and make it look like something the Viera would construct.

To hammer out most of this will still take a while, so right now I'm hoping to get whatever I can manage in so that I can give you all a well rounded update. Nothing can be set in stone at the moment, as I don't wanna make promises and not be able to deliver in a timely manner.

Today, I am aiming to begin work on creating the village gateways. Once that's complete I can wrap up full settlements for each one, and put these gates into the generation pool for the game.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  18. Warboss_Spriggs

I just want this to be updated so badly! One thing you can do if you keep coming up with ship ideas is to sketch out those different ideas, that way you can release them as different ship options.

19. GoldRidley

I think your settlement re-work is probably the most interesting thing you've suggested. I'd love for interacting with Viera characters to be more fun, and settlement variety is certainly a large part of that.

The body news is also exciting, but I have to suggest releasing this as an optional package. I'm going to hazard a guess that most people who play your mod already are or eventually will play another mod that adds a plethora of armors and clothes. The well known Frackin' Universe springs to mind - the armors in that one are essential to exploring the robust variety of biome types FU adds.

It would be nightmarish to try to adapt all of the clothes and armor from all of the popular mods ever, so you definitely need to leave the old body as a usable option in future versions of your mod, or you'll be forcing people to choose between mods they might find essential for a larger and more interesting universe.

I don't want to discourage you, but a custom body type is a real can of worms, in terms of increasing your own personal workload. Even if you did allow the old body type to be used in future versions of the mod, that'd mean any clothing and armor you made for the new one wouldn't fit the original!

If only there was a way to let the armor itself determine your body type, like how reference body meshes are used in Skyrim to ensure everything fits! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in Starbound, though, so it's just a fantasy for now. (If anyone knows of such a thing, please speak up.)

As for your mech woes.. At risk of being irritating by repeating myself, there is still ol' chunky:

[​IMG]
    He's not graceful, he's not Viera, but he's hands-on. Let's be real, though - a Viera in Magitek armor is so deep into fanfiction territory that you might as well forget all thematic convention and do whatever you find the most fun.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  20. Warboss_Spriggs

Seems to be an issue with the Mech deployment animation for Viera. Crashed to main menu when I tried to do the mech quest.

Exception caught in client main-loop (AssetException) Error loading asset /cinematics/teleport/deploy_viera.cinematic