Witchmarsh Alpha Bug Report and Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobsplosion, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Bobsplosion

Bobsplosion Aquatic Astronaut

Alpha is out, lets get to work putting this fool together. If you find anything or think anything should be in here, put it in here.

Bugs
    • The menu from the first chest doesn't close when all the items are emptied, and can't be closed by pressing the X.

Recommendations
    • When a menu is open, the screen shouldn't move. Currently bringing up the inventory and moving your mouse up to interact with the inventory makes the screen look way into the sky.
    • The items and buttons need to be easier to interact with. Currently it seems like only the very center of the items can be interacted with.
    • There needs to be a fullscreen and a fullscreen borderless option. Currently my game looks like this.

• Chertevo

Chertevo Big Damn Hero

Just a general recommendation for the final game:

Aiming is cool. I really liked that, but I think the characters should be able to shoot from the hip instead of having to stop and aim. Having to stop to shoot slowed down ranged combat a little.

• Dr Djinn

Dr Djinn Void-Bound Voyager

+Bugs+

-ESC exits inventory/char windows but not loot pop up on the rotting crate, not sure if that was intended or part of the same issue Bobsplosion had.
        -The AI radial doesn't work on the bard, when using it on any char it only pops up the AI options for Innkeep and trapper.
        Not sure if a bug but the numbers next to the response options made me think I could select that option my hitting the matching number key.
        Very rarely (4 out of 150 times when standing still spamming punch.) the Innkeep heavy punch (The one with the large flash) would skip a frame of animation.

+Feedback+
        -No reward for landing head shots so aiming feels unrewarding as there is no need for precision, a shin shot is just as good and a bullet between the eyes. Probably intentional for balancing but felt worth mentioning as aiming is a large part of the ranged combat. As Cherteco said maybe make firing from the hip faster but weaker/less accurate to make a variation, hip fire to kind of spray and pray and aiming for precision and specific targeting?
        -There is no way to stop the enemies from rushing the ranged attackers, who seem favored by the AI since it was hit by them first, which felt a bit weird as I rushed to fight them and they just ran past the melee group to fight my ranged investigators. Maybe some form of obstruction, slowing or melee knock back? It felt like the only way to defend an ally was to run away to kite enemies while the AI beat them to death from behind.
        -Granted it is early alpha, melee felt unrewarding, no block/parry/counter had it feeling a bit hollow and the hits were lacking...weight i guess.
        -Maybe its just me, but the screen should lock when talking to NPCs, my screen drifted so far away when talking to the guy I thought I black screened. (i just was like 2 screens up and right. I found my way back eventually.)
        -Can't jump and melee but can jump and shoot, felt a bit weird.

+The compliments!+

-The animations were great, the innkeeper lever action is my favorite, mods give that artist a high five for me please. (I donno if anyone agrees but maybe having a used shells stick around a bit longer?)
        -SFX were good and not invasive.
        -Hit detection was solid.
        -Background was nicely done, the style has me pumped up all over again. (Dat bonfire! High five them too.)
        -Implemented controls fit nicely

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
          Tsuruda likes this.
        • Tsuruda

Tsuruda Title Not Found

Headshot critical hits should definetely be a thing, at least for non-dead and non-eldritch-ancient-horror mobs.

Maybe characters (both players and NPCs) should be severely slowed down when trying to pass through unfriendly hitboxes. This way characters should feel less intangible during combat. Also for melee players and mobs, channeled or toggle skills that block or impair enemy movement (Moose could Body Block during a set period of time, the Gentleman could trip enemies that try to get past him in exchange for his ability to attack, Innkeeper could grapple and pin someone down, etc, etc)

A 0.05~0.1 seconds mini stun/lock/knockback on hit may be able to get that feeling of impact. At least one frame of "argh-I'm-being-hit-in-ma-face" animation should do the trick. I hope they have something like this planned.
          EDIT: Also I think at least the Gentleman will have a parry/counter mechanic, as it was teased on their kickstarter page. I hope they have something among those lines planned for the Innkeeper and the Woodsman (The Trapper with alternate perk)

Having one key input to center the screen back to your controlled character should be plenty I think (like the function of the Space bar on some MOBAs like LoL and HotS)

I want to play this so badly T___T

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016